1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge from Dranco

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Ragon, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Okay Im not a writer just love to read especially Harry Potter. I had an Idea.

Post Hogwarts AU through OotP. Harry has defeated Voldemort by the power of Love.(dont start screaming yet)Harry has become an icon for the world. But the rumors of his power and ablity have grown well beyond what is reality. Now as a New Dark Lord rises Harry must learn what he did not when he fought Tom. Harry must learn to become a the Wizard his legend makes him out to be or die as the world suffers.

1. No H/G, H/Hr, Honks.
    2. Must be realistic.
    3. No mourning over his parents or dead friends.
    4. Takes place 2+ years after Hogwarts.
    5. Harry must be a wimp that gets his ass handed to him and then learns he doesnt know shit and must learn.
    6. No Slash
    7. No good Snape and Draco.
    8. Snape is a former death eater.(I wouldnt mind in the least if he is the one who hands Harry his ass on a silver platter.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

And how is talentless Harry going to defeat this new enemy?

If this guy is as badass as you say, he's not gonna wait till Harry learns some equally badass Dark Arts.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    It pretty much like a Harry v. Voldemort but you change the Dark Lords name. Harry is always talentless to begin with.

4. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

yeah this does not make much sense. if he did not learn something the first time, he wont learn it the second.

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

So basically, Harry is a Lockhart type figure who needs to stand up and be counted. Inceidently, is there any reason why Harry is obligied to train to defeat the new Dark Lord, cant someone else do it, and where does this new Dark Lord come from who isnt prone to the same weaknesess of Voldemort?

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yeah good points Ima work on my idea alittle more. This is why Im not a writer.

will an mod please delete this thread.

7. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

The actual concept that Harry's fame has raised his sopposed power far beyond what it is in reality could be interesting if done right. As for why Harry fights this wizard, its much like everybody expected Dumbledore to fight Voldemort at first. Here, Harry is meant to be the most powerful/skilled wizard, nobody, apart from his friends I soppose, knows that he is basiclly yyour average wizard.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yay you got the idea that I was thinking of. Im not a writer at all. I agree it would have to be done well or it would fail completely. The whole idea was that perhaps the dark lord killed one of his friends or something. I didnt really flesh out my idea very well.

9. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

And no Honks?!?!?! Sacrilege!!!

Honestly, though...I don't want to read a story where Harry is a helpless, talentless piece of shit who coasted through his battle with the most powerful Dark Lord in centuries just because he loved his mummy ever so much.

I will not read a story unless Harry, from the get go, shows some sign of being at least competent. Fuck...I very nearly ditched IP's story in the beginning because it started with a Nancy!Harry sitting on a swing and weeping. (Good thing I didn't ditch it :p)

So unless its a fantastic romance fic, any fic that features a Harry who gets bossed around/is generally incapable/is stupid enough to challenge someone like Snape to a duel, knowing that he is incapable/weeps, moans and bitches about his situation...well, I press that handy little X button on the top right of my screen.

Seriously...if you're looking for a sizeable audience for your fic, writing a Harry with this sort of personality, even if he does get some degree of kickass-ness later on, is a bad idea. See, it's simple, and rather sad. Most Fanfic readers are used to stories being abandoned before they become good, so a good deal just don't begin Pussy!Harry stories, because they anticipate that the Author will eventually abandon the fic out of sheer boredom with writing Pussy!Harry. To gain attention and gather a loyal audience, you need to start off with a bang, and keep the excitement flowing all through.

And frankly, seeing as Harry is the protagonist of the HP series, its something of a downer to see Dumbshit!Harry get his ass handed to him by some upstart little shit, especially after Harry managed to beat Voldemort somehow.

Good luck writing, though.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Personally, the only way I can see this done is to use a twist like in "The Incredibles". Harry WAS a decent warrior and he DID manage to fair decently against Voldemort and his goons, but that was like... 20 years ago.

He's been riding on Ginny's love potion fumes and his fame for 2 decades, living a peacful life, not really keeping up with the progress of magic or practicing his skills. These days, he's basically a chubby, domesticated fame-mongering sluggard, laying around and watching TV in between his public appearances (arranged by Ginny).

So when the new Dark Lord arises, he must get his shit straight and actually do something. He discovers about love potion, about his friends stealing from him and festering on his fame, about the Ministry trying to keep him under control etc... He gets his shit in the gear, cuts them off the tit and starts training again, this time, doing it right... etc...

You know, like a standard Indy!Harry story, only without Dumbledore and with somewhat more competent (if a bit rusty) Harry. *shrugs* If written well, I could read it.

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Okay I give in bad idea. I quit

DELETE PLEASE

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IP, you make it sound quite good like that. IP's version would be a good read.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yes Someone should do IP's idea. I agree but I was gonna keep my mouth shut.