1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RJ's Challenge #1 - Total Recall

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by rj_stone2, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

This is one that I've been meaning to write myself, but I'm not sure that I'm going to have the time and energy, so I'll throw it out there.

Summary:
    Harvey Porter considered himself a lucky man. Sure, he wasn't running the country like the new Minister Voldemort, but Harvey was happy with his lot. He somehow married the girl of his dreams, the beautiful Lisa Turpin. He had a good job with the Nimbus Broom Corporation. He was even good friends with his co-workers Teddy, Vinny, and Greg. Just one thing bothered him... his dreams.

Haunted by dreams of shadowy goings-on in distant Bulgaria, Harvey knew he couldn't just abandon his life to travel to a far-off land. But fortunately for him, a new shop had opened up on Diagon Alley... We Can Memory-Charm it for You Wholesale. Spurred by recent advances in mind manipulation charms, they can implant the memory of an entire vacation without requiring you to leave their office. To Harvey, it seemed like the perfect way to get the strange dreams out of his system without disrupting his happy life.

When Harvey goes in after work to have his memory-vacation, against the vehement advice of his wife and friends, what could possibly go wrong?

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Heh, this is the plot of Total Recall copied almost verbatim from the movie.

Unfortunately, it won't work; not in this form at least. Bulgaria is a lot closer then Mars - basically, a simple portkey or apparation away. I don't see the need to have a trip there charmed into memory. You're simply copying the movie plot, without thinking it through.

Not to mention that those who had seen the movie will be bored out of their minds.

3. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

WTF could go right? I mean, I can understand if this was going to be some type of AU fic, but what the hell? Who the devil is Harvey, and when did he come into the picture? Last time I read 'Harry Potter' I could have sworn the story was about him.

He has a perfect life etc, meh, what is the fun in that? Voldemort is still around, but not Harry? Okay, so our boy wonder died; not much of a loss but what is the point now? You really aren't considering making the damn thing about how Harry lost his memories and is actually Harvey? And why the hell does it have anything to do with Bulgaria if this is the case?

Last I learned, Hogwarts/London weren't in Bulgaria, unless boundaries have changed without my notice. So honestly what is the point? I mean yes I can see that Harvey is undoubtedly going to turn out to be Harry by some gay misfortune. Okay......but how did he loose his memories in the first place? This is Voldemort we are talking about he would have killed Harry if he got his hands on him, not just erased his memories and be done with him.

He would ruin his life entirely, and let’s face it; Voldemort is not as big of a dumb ass as most authors make him. If there is a threat to his power, he is obviously going to go out and kill the damn thing, not much sense in doing something else. So unless this kid is like Harry's son........oh the horror!!!!

Final opinion, no.

-Void

4. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

It's the setup directly from the movie... the rest of the plot would be pretty open-ended. I like Harry-on-his-own stories that doesn't revolve around training+the Order. And I like the mind-fuck bit.

Maybe simple boredom would be a better reason to go on the vacation. Harvey's just a normal guy, and likes the idea of being able to take a vacation as someone else for a little while...

5. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

I'm with Void on this, why would Voldemort leave him alive?

EDIT: Altough you could introduce horcruxes and make Harry be one to give a valid reason as to why he is alive in the first place....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

I was thinking the prophecy... if one of them has to kill the other, then Voldemort can ensure his indefinite survival by keeping Harry alive. But keeping him in prison risks an escape... unless it's a prison that Harry wouldn't even think to try to escape from.