1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

KenderCleric's Challenge #10 - The Secret Life I lived

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by KenderCleric, Jul 15, 2007.

1. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

KenderCleric's Challenge #10 - The Secret Life I lived

Summary:

"The confused look on Albus' face has made all those years of extra work worth it. To see the fabled unflappable man confused beyond speech is a better reward than the Queen could ever provide. I hope that insufferable nosy old bastard chews on this mystery from now until the Second Coming."

With a final smirk the mysterious young man shoved his left hand into the perfectly tailored trousers, turned his back on the venerable Headmaster, and strolled casually out of the ancient castle as though he owned it. The man who defeated Voldemort, defied a Prophecy, and reduced Dumbledore to a gobsmacked and silent condition was leaving and no one expected to see him again.

The staff and gathered students followed him out of the school and watched as the young man passed the boundary of the wards where a strange muggle contraption waited for him. The muggleborn students whispered to their clueless pureblood friends that the man was boarding a Helicopter and they all watched as the transport bearing the seal of Her Majesty’s government lifted off.

Once the helicopter was little more than a spec on the horizon the students and staff returned to the comforts of the castle. Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley decided to go and share the day’s events with their accident-prone friend Harry Potter who had once again found himself in the Hospital wing. Neither could believe how utterly clumsy the young man was; he made Neville Longbottom seem positively graceful. Certainly, the Boy-Who-Lived held nothing of the heroic bearing and appearance one would expect from a Hero.

Hours later as his friend concluded the story of how Voldemort was defeated Harry just smiled enthusiastically. He proclaimed how glad he was that he was out from under the death sentence the prophecy would have been. The look on his friends faces made him laugh out loud as they tried to picture Harry Potter battling Voldemort.

No one would ever connect Harry Potter with the savior of the Wizarding World, and that was exactly how he had always wanted it.

The Challenge Background:

The years of Voldemort's first rise had not gone unnoticed by the muggles. Despite the hard work of the Ministry to downplay the situation to the Prime Minister it was clear that the threat was beyond the magical world to contain. In response a special division of MI-6 was created with a mandate to ensure the public safety from threats the Ministry of Magic either ignored or couldn't contain.

It had taken three years to find Muggleborn wizards and witches willing to "defect" from the magical community to assist the muggle government. In the end the Ministry of Magic's inability to protect the muggleborn and half-blood citizens from the Dark Lord had proven a better recruiting tool than anything else MI-6 had come up with. The newly instated department of MI-6 began fulfilling their mandate with intelligence gathering and protecting known muggleborns and their families.

Though no one in the magical world ever realized it MI-6 had succeeded in protecting more than two dozen families from Death Eaters when the Aurors and Order of the Phoenix hadn't. While the successes weren't off the chart impressive it showed that they were moving in the right direction.

In late 1980 an MI-6 agent assigned to monitor known members of the Order became privy to the contents of the prophecy. Her Majesties government now knew where the ultimate defeat of the Dark Lord would come from.

On November 2nd, 1981 three men in nondescript black suits approached the Dursley residence. They removed the infant son of James and Lily Potter and made arrangements for his disappearance to go unnoticed.

Harry Potter was given the best education possible from the age of 4 to the age of 11. While his education was not purely muggle none of his studies went beyond theory or normal exercises in math, reading, and writing that would be expected of a child.

At the age of 10 Harry Potter's foster parents sat him down and told him the truth about his life. They explained the magical world, both its positive and negative aspects, to the boy as well as his place in that world. Then they explained their role at MI-6.

The magical world had waited for ten long years to see their savior again, but none expected what they got. The boy was somewhat clueless, naive, and clumsy beyond reckoning. He was in no way extraordinary or the hero everyone expected.

The Challenge:

Write a story that incorporates the back-story provided above, elements of the James Bond stories, and Harry Potter. The rules below outline the basis for the story.

The Rules:
    • Harry Potter has been prepared from an early age to train as a 00 agent for MI-6's magical division.
      • From age 4-10 Harry's education was advanced for a child his age, but did not consist of anything beyond magical theory, magical history, and normal muggle subjects. These were preparatory classes for later education.
      • At age 14 Harry begins his more advanced education from MI-6 trainers in both muggle and magical subjects.
        • Harry begins leaving Hogwarts at various times for his training. Explanations of how he achieves this can not include a time-turner.
      • At age 16 Harry begins muggle military and Auror-style training.
    • Harry Potter's public image is that of a nice kid that's really just kind of oblivious to the world around him, and clumsy as hell. He makes Neville look graceful.
    • The events of Harry's 1st - 5th year should reflect his public persona's involvement in the events of books 1-5. Dumb luck, the held of friends and Dumbledore, etc. should be used to briefly summarize how the wizarding world believes he survived the events.
    • An alternate persona that is very much Bond-like should appear in year 7 and begin assisting in the hunt for the horcruxes and fight against Voldemort.
    • No one can know that Harry and the Bond-like MI-6 agent are the same person.
      • No use of a time-turner can be involved in Harry's maintaining his cover.
      • OC MI-6 agents should be used as undercover contacts, aids, etc. to help Harry maintain his cover.
    • The magical division of MI-6 is comprised totally of muggleborn and half-blood wizards and witches who have "defected" to the muggle world and government. They are still active members of the magical community, but their loyalty lies with "Queen and Country" so to speak.
    • Harry's Bond-like alternate persona is ultimately credited with killing Voldemort. This obviously confuses the hell out of Dumbledore since he knows the prophecy.
    • This is a James Bond style story so no pairings will have any importance. Harry Potter could possibly have a girlfriend, but I doubt it. His Bond-persona would only be using a girl to get information or access to something.
    • Harry's years pre-Hogwarts and leading up to year 6 should be touched upon, but not gone into in any great detail. Ideally, those years would be prologue.
    This fic would take a fair amount of effort to pull off well. The real challenge would be maintaining Harry's cover in a convincing way. How does he keep Dumbledore in the dark? How does he seek out the horcruxes and destroy them? How does his bond-persona battle Death Eaters and dodge Order members and still maintain his suave looks?

In the right author's hands this fic could be great, but in the wrong hands it could be trash unfit even for a landfill. Attempt this at your own risk.

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Did this challenge come about before or after Bio's new avitar and sig?

3. KenderCleric

I will admit it came about mostly after his new sig. I had read a rather horrible HP/Bond crossover about two or three days ago, and then when I saw his sig it created another nasty plot bunny.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm liking it Kender my man. Really liking it!

Don't suppose you could link me to that rather horrible HP/Bond crossover you mentioned? Never read one before and it intrigues me.

5. KenderCleric

I'll see if I can scrounge it up. I think it was on fanfiction.net so it should be easy to find. I'll edit this post when I find it.

Edit:
    This is why I shouldn't post for at least two hours after I wake up. Please delete the post below.

Ok, it was one of these three I believe.

Potter, Harry Potter by feanor
    Harry Potter undertakes training as a warrior from James Bond. Chapters 29, 30, 31 - Both sides of the war have some surprises installed for them. Enjoy!

On Lord Voldemort's Secret Service by Namyda
    Alternative book 7, almost canon, James Bond crossover. Oh come on, give it a try. Iwasstonedfic. Future SSHG.

On Her Majesty's More Secret, Secret Service by Unitarian Jihadist
    Agent 007, James Bond, receives assistance from another agent with highly unusual talents.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. KenderCleric

delete please

7. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I dunno, it sounds a bit iffy. For those who don't know, I've posted some rather long posts in the "Wizards vs. Muggles" thread on just why Wizards would beat the Muggles, so I don't see how could read well for me.

This, to me, just seems like an excuse to have the muggles pawn the wizards with thier superior technology and it would take a very skilled writer to make it seem otherwise. Even then, I probably wouldn't read it.

That said, the idea is very interesting. I don't suppose you'd be willing to change it into some kind of magical secret agency, maybe a divison of the International Confederation of Wizards or whatever. I like the whole idea of 'bumbling' and 'useless' Harry Potter kicking the crap out of a Death Eater with pure magical force. :D

8. KenderCleric

Well...if you'd reread the challenge you'll see that the entire Bond side is based around a magical division of
    MI-6...not muggle. ;)

Edit:

Yes, they would still utilize muggle technology where they could, but I'd imagine due to the nature of technology/magic environs that they would instead come up with magical version of most of the MI-6 muggle technology.

Edit2:

...I mean imagine the fun Q would have working to come up with all his nifty gadgets that work with, or by, magic. Talk about a kid in a candy shop.

Edit3:

See...this is why morning coffee + questions about plot bunnies is just an evil combo.

Anyway, the basic concept this challenge puts forth is that the British Muggle government got tired of the Ministry of Magic's bumbling. Rather than willingly sitting back and letting muggles, muggleborn, and half-bloods be killed MI-6 was mandated to find a way to do what the Ministry wasn't or couldn't. So MI-6 approached muggleborns and half-bloods in order to recruit, train, and organize a purely magical division of MI-6. Imagine MI-6 split into Muggle and Magical, but both divisions working together when either need assistance. Intellegence sharing, muggle agents to help watch wizards where others wizards would be noticed etc. etc.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  9. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I had an idea for this, hence the avatar and sig. Sorry I couldn't respond to the PM. Pressing out-of-town business.

We'll see if it manifests itself into anything serious. Mostly it was Syaoran, Lord Bill and myself shooting around the idea of a Double-O Agent Potter. We came up with humorous Bondish movie titles such as: Double-O, It's Magic (After the song with the lyrics: O, O, it's magic! You know! Never believe it's not so. Connection with Double-O (007) incase you're dumb or something XD),
    Half and Half Not (Allusion to Half-Bloodedness and the Have and Have Not statement) and Third Turn's the Charm for something involving timeturners.

We'll see.

If anyone steals my idea, I'll kill them :). I've had it for ages.