1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hahukum Konn's Challenge #1 - DH-compliant AU

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Hahukum Konn, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Since this is related to Deathly Hallows, don't read unless you would like to see the spoiler.

Subject: Deathly Hallows compliant AU involving Dumbledore and Grindelwald

Hahukum KonnĀ“s Challenge #1

Challenge #1 :

Summary: Aberforth Dumbledore manages to save Ariana from dying. Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald decide to irrevocably part ways with Aberforth Dumbledore, and go on to establish "world domination".

Detail:

* Dumbledore doesn't get his nose broken :)
    * Eventually, Grindelwald and Dumbledore become Dark Lords of their own, either in Britain or across all of Europe.
    * A prophecy (naturally - nothing seems to get done in the wizarding world unless it either takes an absurdly long time or if it's prophesied) takes place which states that someone will eventually rise to defeat Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

This can be done either in the 1970s or in the 1940s.

1940s -

* Tom Riddle is the prophesied Chosen One (or, for a twist, Minerva McGonagall)
    * Armando Dippet is the one that gets word of the prophecy from Cassandra Trelawney, and decides straightaway to bend all the rules for the Chosen One. In the case of McGonagall, he authorizes secret watches over her house, or what-have-you. In the case of Riddle, he breaks several Muggle laws to get Riddle out of the orphanage and into some kind of magical training program. Either way, the prophecy should state that the Chosen One is in danger of falling into darkness - this is especially apt in the case of Riddle because JKR has said that barring a major personality shift (which his environment wouldn't let him do, I don't think), at the age of five he was already on the way to being a psychopathic SOB.

1970s -

* Any of the known Marauder-Era people could be the Chosen One. For a laugh, make it Severus Snape and see how he likes having all the rules bent for him in the name of an impossible destiny.
    * In this case the temptation for Darkness is the greatest for Snape.

In either case you will have to account for greater exposure of the magical world to the Muggle one, or come up with a reason why DD and Grindelwald chose to retain secrecy (perhaps the old 'big fish in a little pond' syndrome?).

Some loose ends to throw in?

* Ariana? Does she die? Or does she come into play later, as a kind of Luna Lovegood-esque mentor to the Chosen One, with Aberforth still minding her?
    * Horcruxes. Maybe Grindelwald or Dumbledore figure out how to make them? There's a whole new series of horcruxes you could come up with instead of the worn-out and retreaded Hogwarts Founder items. Maybe things of Merlin's or Morgana's? Or the founders of Durmstrang or Beauxbatons had revered items that got made into Horcruxes?
    * The 'Hallows'. Do DD and Grindelwald still care about getting all three of them, or just want the Elder Wand? They probably don't need the Cloak since DD in particular seemed very proficient with a Disillusion Charm. I got the impression that even Grindelwald at the height of his power never obsessed as much about death as Voldemort did.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I originally intended.

Anyway, I might try whipping up something like this myself, but who knows :)

2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not too bad. It's got orginality, and that is one of the more important things. The plot is pretty good as well, and I would personally rather see Riddle as the chosen one, the changes he would have to go through in order to fulfill whatever prophecy was made would be very interesting.

Ariana/Riddle anyone? I guess that's up to the author.

This challenge would take quite a bit of work and dedication. The author would basically have to create a whole new war involving Grindelwald and Dumbledore as Dark lords, while at the same time having Dippet prepare whoever the chosen one was.

If the author chooses to go with the Marauder era, then who would be Headmaster? Dippet still? And the state of the world would definitely be different due to two Powerful Dark Lords working together.

All considering, I would love to read this story if a talented author took it up.

3. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

I hadn't thought of that. Ariana/Riddle would be a real tough one with the age difference and her magical instability, though - but if written well, would be a good addition to the plot, since one of the motifs of JKR's writing is that love conquers a hell of a lot. :)

4. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think a lot of this challenge and the main points in the fic would be up to the author. There are so many different ways that it could be written it's actually quite astounding.

5. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Well, since there are two Dark Lords, can't there be two Chosen Ones? Maybe Riddle is the first Chosen One and his fate is to kill Grindelwald, and ____ is the other and his fate is to kill Dumbledore. Personally I would prefer Harry as the second one. Maybe Riddle finds Harry is to be the other Chosen one that helps him bring down Grindy and Dumbles so he personally trains Harry to prepare him.

Another thing the author has to think about; did Grindelwald and Dumbledore succeed in taking over the muggles? Or are they still being held back by the Wizarding Worlds? What would be different in the wizarding world? the muggle world? etc.

Be interesting if Riddle still is a bad guy though, but he hides it from everyone. After he defeats the them he could turn dark, and with no one to oppose him he will win. Unless you do the 2 chosen ones then the other chosen one would have to fight Riddle.