1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Anything but Slytherin by IP82 - M (ONE SHOT)

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ip82, May 21, 2008.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Never thought I'd say this in a positive way, but: NO MOAR!!!

Perfect the way it is. 5/5

2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Jesus fucking Christ, there is no such thing as the "Light". I hate it when fics just group everyone against Voldemort under "Light". It's cliched out the ass.

I haven't read the story yet, but I'm going to in a few minutes.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Uh what? Light works fine. Calling themselves the light side works fine.

Wow that was amazing, I'd really like to see a story with that theme written.

4. Demons In The Night

I hope you're being facetious.

edit: 4/5. I liked it, but the massive OOCness, "Light" "Guardians of Light", etc, and the suspension of belief necessary to take it seriously, lowered it a point.

Too heavy handed. Not that I could do better writing a post war Oppressive!Ignorant!Prejudiced!Hypocritical!Ministry, but I thought it was just way over the top. You could have gone about it much more subtly.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Enlighten me. What is wrong with that?

6. Demons In The Night

1. It's incredibly cliche. The annoyance level is up there with Animagus!Elemental!MerlinSlytherinRavenclawHeir!EnormousInheritance!Harry
    etc. You get the picture

2. It's not canon. "Light" is a fanon creation. Even JKR, whose plots are simple and child friendly, avoids blatant cliches as "Light and Dark", "Good and Evil", etc.

3. It's a giant over simplification. Yes, because all law abiding wizards share the same political/moral/ethical beliefs, ambitions, etc. We know from canon that there is nothing especially "Light" about the MoM and Dumbledore's group. The MoM exerts control over the media/press, suspends freedom of speech, uses the Unforgivables in times of war, tortures its prisoners with Dementors (who are probably the 'darkest' creatures in canon), no due process and habeas corpus, etc. I don't know exactly what's "Light" about that. DH made every Manipulative!Dumbledore fan/writer orgasm due to the numerous ways DD utterly fucked Harry over during the course of his life up until DH.

4. Did I mention it's cliche? Only about 150k out of the 300k fics on ff.net use the "Light side" nonsense.

There's probably more reasons why I hate it, but it's late and my brain is tired.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, "light" magic isn't canon, but neither are "wards" nor several other wildly spread concepts. With the verified existence of "dark" magic, I don't think it's such a stretch to assume the existence of its opposite, even if it isn't explicitly mentioned by JKR.

As for it being a cliche, well, split between light & dark, good VS evil has always been in the core of human philosophy. Take any religion, open any 'epic' book, play any video game and you'll find it there. Is it a cliche? Sure. But so is having your characters being influenced by gravity and falling in love.

As for the point no. 3, yes, I agree. There's no such thing as pure good or evil, true light and dark. But as philosophical asymptotes, sort of pure concepts characters are trying to aspire to, I have no problem with them.

And in the end, this story isn't really about the EXISTENCE of light and dark, it's about the society that BELIEVES in their existence. Muslim martyrs probably won't get a pack of virgins after their death, but that doesn't make their actions based on that belief any less real, does it?

8. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I liked it. I would like to see it continued but the ending was great enough as it is. 4/5 because of OOC characters.

9. Demons In The Night

Basically you're saying that the Wizarding world on a whole, is retarded (I agree). Bigotry and prejudice run wild. Those in power are most often corrupt. For every smart muggle born (like Hermione), there are 15 ignorant pure bloods.

It's a vicious cycle where those who have power conspire to attain more power, and to assure their power lasts generations, at the expense of the minorities, and progress.

Wizarding Britain is fucked to it's core. JKR really didn't do a good job of world building. She clearly didn't give much thought to the economy, the political system, etc, which you would expect to be laid out in detail in a 7 book series.

10. JCCS

JCCS Third Year

11. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

How different is that from the real world? Granted its not as blatant, but that's due to the population differences.

On the story:

The best thing you've ever archived, IP. 5/5

12. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

5/5

Nuff said

13. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This was pretty interesting, ip. The idea that the light side have become fanatics and whatnot is pretty cool, especially when they're willing to kill Slytherins just for being sorted there. On the other hand, having Dumbledore condoning this just doesn't feel right. If you'd left him out (say he was killed in the war, maybe) this could be a 4.5/5...however, 4/5 for a good read that's not quite perfect.

14. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I already left a review on FF.net. I'll leave it at that.

4.5/5

15. ArseNick

ArseNick Fourth Year

Wow. Epic wow. I must say, IP, that this story of yours is like a million miles above your others. Awesomely written, god damned original, and frighteningly good. Really man, I wish you could make a novel-length fic outta this. That'd be truly worth reading.
    5/5

16. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I really liked it.

I read it last night, and I still feel slightly disturbed and upset.

There is one thing I really do not like though, and the is Dumbledore's existance in this fic. I would be completely comfortable with everything if Dumbledore had died, and thus the war had gone differently, but I don't like his current behavior.

He is one of those rare smart and power wizards, and I think he would be an effective and vocal voice against this behavior. Some special explination is needed if you want to have him in the fic.

The fist time I read it, my mind skipped over his existance, and without him it is a much more powerful read.

Still, that only looses you .1 stars. 4.9/5

17. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Fixed that for you. It was hard for me to tell if you were being ironic, bitching about the "cliche" use of "Light Wizardry."

I have to conclude, sadly, that you completely missed the point. The only difference between Hogwarts under the "Light Guardians" and Hogwarts under the Carrows was the House chosen for persecution.

The moral of the story is that Fanaticism is Bad, no matter what the cause.

18. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

This should be a two shot ;) That way you can just skip to Harry's 7th year and we know how his life turned out in this dystopian wizarding world.

That one shot is a 5/5 hands down.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

The problem is that we don't know for sure that Harry actually wasn't sorted into Slytherin. The Hat said that it was going to stop considering the children's wishes, since no one wanted Sly house.

That story left me shaken and edgy from yesterday afternoon 'til nearly lunchtime today.

I'm even sorry (deeply sympathetic, in fact) for Draco - and no one is more surprise about it than I.

20. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Thought-provoking, especially considering that the scenario the story presents is entirely plausible considering how ass-backwards the wizarding world is. Some OOC-ness here though - I can't see Dumbledore letting something like this spread, nevermind standing by and watching apathetically as it happens. 4.5/5