1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Boy Who Lived by Megii of Mesteri OusStranger - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by T3t, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

I thought it was a good and original plot. While there has already been stories around with harry going back in time to adopt and raise Tom Riddle, I haven't seen one besides this where he ends up in a relationship with Merope Gaunt. While the part about Harry and Merope was sweet and very well written, everything about Tom Riddle felt wrong somehow. But even with several plot holes it worked out okay in the end.

I think it has several problems, like, as have already been stated, that Harry is to far too lenient when it comes to Riddle. Also, I did not really see any specific situation where Riddle was "redeemed" (permanently), or a shift from where he doesn't think any of murdering his fathers family to ending up "good". I reckon it would be far more likely if he still had ended up as a dark lord.

All in all, it was interesting and good enough to keep my attention through most of the text, but not more than that. 3/5

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

I was unable to pass the first chapter - it is not just ignoring that Merope is rapist, but depicting money as good sole foundation for romance and relationship is not only boring but also disgusting.

3. Stan

Stan Order Member

I didn't like this one at all. A version of Tom Riddle raised by Harry and Merope sounds like a decent idea, but the execution is terrible.

The author tries to balance Tom's natural lack of empathy with his loving upbringing, which is all well and good, but the execution falls completely flat. Tom does stuff which barely matches with the way the author characterized him beforehand, Harry acts entirely OOC while Merope just cries passively somewhere in the background. The way the story deals with Tom's actions is just absurd.

The weirdest part of the story is how it deals with Merope Gaunt. The fact that she used a love potion, and that she wasn't a very good person in general is brushed aside completely by Harry, and Tom Riddle Sr is treated as the villain in the affair with Merope as the victim. I did not think it possible to bash characters who are barely mentioned in canon, yet the story somehow manages to do just that.

2/5.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. SweetSouthernGal

SweetSouthernGal Muggle

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this story, but I did. I'm still not a fan of Merope (or Tom, obviously)-- but the characterizations were interesting and the writing was good. It was interesting to see the character development of Tom and how though he's had a much better childhood he still struggles and goes through much of the same things. He's not perfect, love doesn't fix him and turn him into an amazing person, but he is certainly less detestable and murderous.

5. Drakken

Drakken Squib

The writing is good but the story feels strange. So many aspects of the voldemort living with a good family go unexplored.. It's an odd story imo
    3/5

6. Ig810

Ig810 Squib

This story was just kind of bland for me it was well written but just didn't captivate me it was just a good way to waste an hour. 3/5