1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Breach of Contract: Twelve Signs by MattSilver 3k - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by MellowYellow, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Love this story. I'm sad that it's going to end soon :(

Not enough good crime/suspense fics out there. I get giddy on the (very) rare occasion that I come across one.

5/5

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Thank you shinysavage, naidrodro and Demons In The Night. You guys are awesome.

Anyways, here's Chapter Five: Twelve. The story's now complete, so maybe somebody should change the tags up in the thread title. Now that's it all over, I very much submit myself to the tender mercies of the DLP Reviewing Squad. I'm here in the forums or on IRC if you want to chat about things that might've been a little underexplained in the story or something, but overall I just hope you all enjoyed the story.

3. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

Says chapter not found?

4. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Err... It appears to be working for me... Is it still error'ing now?

5. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

Yeah it works for me now. At the time of my posting it didn't

6. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Chapter worked for me.

I enjoyed it, though it wrapped it up somewhat predictably, there were surprises along the way, especially with
    Jensen's motivation

The entire story was written in a unique style that is very hard to find in HP Fanfiction, in fact I'd say only Amer's Lost Time really has a similar feel to this. It made for a great read.

I'm sad to see it over, but having a story that did what it set out to do in a reasonable amount of words is a real rarity, so I'm glad I got to read it. Props, MattSilver.

5/5 for me.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    An excellent fic. Very satisfying conclusion, if a touch bittersweet. Much as I enjoyed it, I can't decide whether I like the idea of the potential sequel though. As you say, this is something special. 5/5.

8. Anme

Anme Professor

This.

/filler

9. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

This is a great, unique, tragic HP fic. I definitely got and enjoyed the crime drama vibe you were going for. I think I also really enjoyed it because I'm a big Dresden files fan and this fic evoked my enjoyment of reading Harry D. in 1st person constantly having walls closing in around him and having to figure out who or what is behind them. The fic also resonated with the Dexter fan in me for obvious reasons. :)

I'm totally in agreement with your final chapter's author note in that the ending, while slightly ambiguous, very successfully concludes the story you intended to tell. A great talent that, as noted above, is pretty rare.

My only gripe is that I wish Harry's conflict with the contract somehow leaked more into his personal life but, as I'm myself not sure how you could've successfully done that, it's not something I can really hold against you.

Looking forward to your future work. 5/5

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  10. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Library spot feels nice. Comfy, even. Thanks to all those who voted - currently at 4.42 with 24 votes. Higher than I would've ever hoped for. :)

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, I'm foregoing the sequel plans. Some decent ideas and wanting to destroy Harry might not make for a good follow-up to Twelve Signs. Thanks for reading!

Both Dexter and Dresden Files influenced the fic, 'cause they're both fucking awesome, of course. :D Thanks for reading and reviewing.

EDIT: I went back and skimmed chapter one again, and did some closer inspection stuff. Fixed some mistakes and missing words (I must've been out of it or something), and may head back and look over my entire story for little mistakes like I found in chapter one. Figured I'd have to make my story look a bit more respectable.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  11. Chiron

Chiron Second Year

Finished reading this yesterday. As others have said the DF vibe made the fic even more enjoyable. A well written Honks gets even more bonus points.

5/5

12. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Just finished reading this in one go. I don't particularly have anything new to add as my sentiments have already been stated by others, but I thoroughly enjoyed the tale. The tone, the premise, the whole journey.

The ending may have been ambiguous, as stated in the author note at the end, but I felt it was particularly fitting. It left a sort of... bittersweet aftertaste, which I felt really suited the story.

In particular I found the circumstances around the whole contract to be enjoyable.

5/5 from me.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

Just got round to finishing the story, and it was excellent. I definitely see the Dresden influence, now that I've read all the available Dresden novels. I've only seen part of one episode of Dexter, but from the descriptions of the show (sociopathic serial killer who does it for the right reasons?) I'd say that influence is here as well. Hell, I even placed a Breach of Contract snippet in my sig, I liked it so much.

Anyway, there were a multitude of small spelling errors, which normally bring down my ratings somewhat if I'm being honest, because proof-reading or a beta reader are there for a reason. However, I appreciated the pacing of the story and how it seemed to keep to its path so well, that I can't quite reduce my rating for anything as minor as spelling errors. The grammar was good for the most part, and the writing style was crisp and fast-paced, which fit the genre and crime noir feel of the storyline very well.

The characters, especially the OCs, were done in a way that they seemed very canon, especially Jensen and Dover. I disliked Dover, but felt that was the author's intention, at least early on.
    He was a suspect in my eyes until the last chapter, honestly. I never even had an inkling that Jensen was behind it all. Oh, and while I'm in the spoiler tags, let me say that it was refreshingly unexpected and cool that (a) Harry killed Remus, and (b) Remus was there on his own, or at least wasn't coerced to go after Harry and Tonks.

Great job, Matt.

Story rating: 5/5
    Minus 0.5 for a few spelling and grammar errors
    Overall: 4.5/5
    Rounded back up to 5/5 because it was well-done, fresh and creative, and Harry/Tonks to boot.

14. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Thanks for the reviews Black Tape, kalespr and Portus.

Portus: As for the minor error thing, I'm very much to blame, despite multiple proof reads. I'm either going to comb over the story with a fine tooth comb sometime soon and weed everything out, or get somebody else to help me out in that department. Love the quote you sig'd up with, too.

Yeah, although I knew it was always going to be Jensen and Fallon, I had fun trying to make it look like there could be other suspects - Dover, Remus, Loki or Boot, specifically. And just as I knew it was always going to be Jensen as the mastermind, I knew that Remus would meet his messy end that way. I liked the tragic aspect to it. Tragicomic if you look at it another way.

Thanks again. :awesome