1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

CD-rom not showing up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Crimson13, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

So of all the times for this to happen it has to be when DA:I comes to my doorstep. I'm having this issue where the cd-rom isn't showing up in the Computer window (I'm using Win7.) nor will it acknowledge any cd's that go into it. It's not showing up in the Device Manager either.

The funny thing is is that when I go to the BIOS it recognizes it and the disc tray goes in and out fine. That seems to be the extent it works and oddly enough it was working fine a few days ago. I used the MicrosoftFixIt and only once did it fix the problem, every other time it says that the device is not found.

Anyone have a clue on what's up?

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

I assume you checked the cable to make sure it still sits properly? If not, go do that now and try again. If yes, then next thing to do is to check if it works with a linux live OS. You'll need a 4+GB USB stick for this (might work with a 2GB stick, though I'm not sure). Get unetbootin, chose ubuntu as the distribution and don't touch the version, check at the bottom if your USB stick is selected and click ok.

After it's done boot from it and check if the dvd-rom drive works there, if not it's most likely a hardware failure and you'll have to get a new one (which isn't so bad since you can get one for around $20 nowadays). One last thing you could try before getting a new one is plugging your dvd-rom into a different SATA port on your mainboard, to make sure it's not the SATA port that's faulty.