1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

'Changes' ebook avaiable for purchase?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Link, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

The book won't be in Belgium for at least a couple of months - does anyone knows if the book can be purchased online, preferably an ebook version?

It sucks that I can't read it yet :(

2. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Amazon will start selling the Kindle version in a few days.

3. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Actually, if you have the 'correct' local address linked to your Amazon account (When I tried with a US address, I couldn't get Changes until April 6, but with a French address I was able to buy it) you can get it right now!

4. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Huh... That actually worked. Thanks, man!

5. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Got it.

filler.

6. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Weird. Amazon just suddenly decided a couple days ago not to sell the Kindle version. My money was refunded and the hardback was discounted to 9.99. Anyone know the reasoning for that?

7. Goonie

Goonie Squib

i don't know, but i just a $3 refund for my book, as i preordered it for $13.. i guess they were not selling as many as expected?

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/000362.php

Apparently Amazon and the publisher are bickering over something or other and Changes got caught in the crossfire.

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Side note I normally don't like Amazon, but they got me the damned book for like 13 bucks shipped, new, shipped on the 4th, got it on the 5th.

10. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Amazon is not the only ebook seller in town. You can find "Changes" at Kobo and Sony, among other places; Amazon is missing a lot of titles right now, because of their ongoing pissing match with publishers.

11. Portus

Portus Heir

Before someone screams "NECROPOST! Kill it with Fire!!", Imma let me finish, 'cause ebooks are some of the best inventions ever. Evar!

Anyway, I just finished Summer Knight, Book 4 of the Dresden Files, and clicked my happy ass over to Amazon to download the Kindle version of Book 5, the title of which I learned is Death Masks. Well, the weirdest thing happened, in that on the page for that particular book, where the price is normally listed, I found the following statement:

Now, I was bummed of course, thinking that now all the Dresden Files will be unavailable in Kindle version, but no, every other Dresden title through Changes is available for the Kindle; it's just Death Masks that's unavailable, and it's apparently only unavailable in the U.S.

Any ideas about what the hell is going on? And of course, anyone with a Kindle version of Death Masks they'd care to share would be exceptionally appreciated...

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure warez talk is forbidden by rules :p

Can you read .pdf files on Kindle?

13. Portus

Portus Heir

I wasn't aware that's what warez is/was, so my apologies; I thought it was just an ebook file. And no, I'm not being a smart-ass or sarcastic.

EDIT: And no, PDF files won't open, apparently, at least on the PC version. I don't have my actual Kindle with me at the moment.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Get yourself on IRC and a certain loli-loving admin of this site may be able to fix your little problem.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I also had never heard the term "warez" when I got to DLP. I had to google it and find some sort of urban dictionary thing to tell me what it meant because I was concerned about accidentally running afoul of that rule.

I figured I was the only one, but since I'm not, might not hurt to update that sticky with an explanation?

On another note, what kinds of files are readable on Kindle in general? Only Official Kindle types then? (If anyone else would open I'd have assumed PDFs)

16. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Kindle reads Amazon's proprietary ebook format. Most other ereaders read epub (which everyone but Amazon uses).

Kindle and other readers can read PDFs, but PDFs usually suck on small screens because the format specifies its own layout (rather than letting the device choose the layout), which means you get all kinds of random line breaks and blank pages and other crap when you try to view a PDF designed for a full screen monitor on an ereader. (Even worse if it contains tables, pictures, and the like.)

17. Portus

Portus Heir

You can load HTML files onto an SD card and view them on a Kindle, and Word docs as well, if I remember correctly. Also, Mobipocket ebooks will view, so I used to download fanfics in that format for that purpose.

When you buy the Kindle, you get an Amazon-related email account to send things to if you want them converted to .AZW format (Kindle format), and they'll do that and email it back to you for $0.10 per file. Seems like I remember being able to either view PDFs on the Kindle itself or that they'd convert them for you, but again, the locked/printed format of PDFs doesn't work very well with the Kindle, at the least the first-gen one I have.

Personally, I prefer reading Kindle books on my PC or laptop, using the Kindle for PC program. It's free, and the best thing is that the cover art or whatever will be in color, as I found out looking at the Summer Knight cover.

On a related note, I tried for the first time to get on IRC, and I got the error message:

Startup error : java.lang.Error: Unable to load interface pixx : java.lang.SecurityException: trusted loader attempted to load sandbo

and that's all I can see. Perhaps the imaginary friend in the sky is trying to tell me that fresh noobs like me should stay the fuck off IRC? '\o/' *shrugs*