1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crime/Legal fiction Harry Potter Stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Jan 13, 2012.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I'm looking for a "Court Drama" type story in Harry Potter fanfiction. Does it exist?

I'm not asking for Noir or detective stories with court elements in them, or Azkaban!Harry in which he has to be at court, but rather stories which revolve around a court case, in which a HP character is involved.

Attorney!Harry, anyone?

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Objection!

Er... Sorry, no; I can't think of any right offhand. The only stuff I can really recall is Azkaban stuff or Sirius getting a trial... or occasionally Snape/Albus/Umbridge getting hauled into court by Harry.

No specific titles though, only vague remembrances, and nothing as in-depth as you have in mind. :(

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its not something I've ever seen in the way you describe. But it definitely sounds like something potentially interesting!

4. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Wasn't there one recommended in the For Review or Almost Recommendable section a while back? Though it had James as the lawyer and Lily as the defendant.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I think that was Fool Me Twice.

Also, I saw "Attorney!Harry" and just went... HMM. Must. Resist.

6. halffareprince

halffareprince First Year

It's been a while since I've read it, so I don't remember how focused the story is on it, but Paracelsus's [ongoing] "Coming Back Late" involves Hermione prosecuting a weirdly compelling house-elf-prostitution case involving a dark cartel while Harry returns from his post as Master of Death, a role he took up after being assumed dead following the Battle of Hogwarts.

It's on Portkey, so if you're not also game for a heavy focus on Harry and Hermione's budding romance you might not enjoy it. But I remember liking it, and Paracelsus is a very competent writer.

7. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Not my cup of tea, although I think that goes with individual taste, and definitely not what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a story in which the case is part, if not all the overarching plot of the story, and everything revolves around it. Something in style of movies like 12 angry men, Anatomy of a Murder, Witness for the Prosecution, Judgement at Nuremberg, The Veredict, The Client, A few Good Men...

It's hard to believe that it's never been done. Hell, am I the only one thinking it's be awesome to have something like "Judgement at Nuremberg" with the Death Eaters remaining after the whole war is over or something like that?

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I know it will never happen, but this thread has inspired a thought:

Law & Aurors, starring Sam Waterston as an aging Harry. D:

9. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I am stealing the hell out of this title. Seriously, after I get my main project done (and a sequel to 'Point Game' that will make film nerds jizz all over the place), I am writing this as a oneshot. Hell, I did 'Case 129', which shows I can write the police side of the drama - now I just need to write the legal side.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Not at all. Because to write this in a competent way, you need to have a grasp at law that exceeds the average FF writer's by a mile. And on top of that, you need to have someone who's actually interested in writing that. If that combination sounds like demanding a round square, well, that's because it is.

It's roughly the same reason why there are so few (decent) political stories. Only a handful of people care for it, and even less of those can actually write.

So you get that one story which was linked in the fifth post, and that's about it.

11. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Off topic, but since Noir was mentioned, is there any chance we'll see some more "Unatoned" anytime soon?

12. Antivash

No. But on that note, we do need more Noir. Dresden and Potter.

Go for it. I'd read it. D: Just no powdered wigs.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

>.<

Yes.

14. Antivash

Stop lying. You know the answer is no.