1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its been a while since this thread was posted in I know, but I just recently finished a book from a series that I think could make a good xover.

The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I have only read the firs two books, but the magic in the series, I think, would make an excellent counter-point from the HP magic. Its wandless, requiring only concentration, not even movement for warrior skills. Healing, which is a main part of it as well, only requires skin to skin contact to work.

DOn't know exactly how a crossover would work for it, but it would definitily be a comeplete AU IMO, though Im just thinking. Novices are accepted into the Magicians Guild for training in the trilogy age 15 or so, so if you could reasonably have Harry travel to an alternate dimension, then he could legitimately join the beginners classes.

A good comedy xover, would be HP/The Dice Man. The Dice Man, is book by Luke Rhinehart, where the main character, Luke Rhinehart, allows the dice to make every decision for him. I mean every decision. As in whether he releases this dangerous criminal from the psychiatric hospital, or rapes this woman, or pees on the plant pot rather than the toilet.

I think a Harry who did everythign by the roll of a dice would be hilarious if well done. Just imagine a conversation with Snape, where Harry rolled a dice after evey comment from Snape, to see how he responded, with a smart remark of his own, silence, or a hex.

Hmmmmm, thats all I can think of for now, but I do like both of the ideas presented above.

2. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Odd that no one mentioned a HP/Matrix crossover.

I'm working on one write now and have parts of the prelude posted in the Work by Author forum. This crossover works very well IMO, but only if the author knows both worlds very well and has a creative and original mind. I read a crossover in this genre that had Harry as the One, as oppose to Neo who turned out not to be the One. That just doesn't work, what with their being Smith and Voldemort to fight. Now, a dual-One would work much better. Thats what I am doing.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I've read a few Xmen crossovers but there was only one that was good. It was a post-everything Harry that got drunk in a bar and was picked up by Remy(not slash by the way) and then it goes on a little about meeting the crew and other things like that. Forgot the title. But it was good

Though I havent seen any good So You Want To Be A Wizard crossovers.

4. The Sinner

Harry Potter/Warcraft Crossover?

That has lots of potential, whether or not it takes place in HP world or WC world.

5. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

You'll probally think i'm insane for thinking it could have potential. A HP/CnC x-over. I've been thinking about one, but it'd have to be after my HP and NOD stories are finished.

If Tiberium was found in the Wizarding world, it could be used in potions. Or it's existence could be hidden from the majority of the world, so the Unspeakables experiment it. Then during the Department battle, a stary cutting curse could hit 1 and cause a tear in the universes, making the CnC universe and HP 1 combine. The sides would still be set up though. Voldemort+Nod and GDI+Order.

I know, insane.

6. The Sinner

OMG!!!

Years ago I had played around with the idea of a HP/CnC xover, but could never work out a plausible plot for it! Perhaps if you are interested, Haunted, we could discuss something.

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    wtf is CnC? Explain a bit more please.

8. The Sinner

CnC is Command and Conquer, a computer that has been around for nearly or more then a decade. Tiberium is this alien crystal that has infected the world, mutating and destroying it.

GDI- Global Defense Initiative
    Nod- The Brotherhood of Nod

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    Right, I know what Command and Conquer is, I jsut would have thought it would have been abreviated to CaC.

10. The Sinner

The abbreviations have always been CnC. Who wants to play a game called cac?

11. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

I'd play a game called Cac only if it was one hell of a game.

And cheers for the compliments on the plot. Halfway through my HP story I thought of a way to combine the two together. Randomly as well.

12. The Sinner

Randomness is beautiful.

13. Styx

Styx Third Year

HP/Bartimaeus would be interesting, Harry finally defeating Voldemort and then cast into void between worlds and then summoned by some snot nosed wizard misspelling a demons name.(In Bartimaeus universe he´d be a demon instead of a wizard although he´d stay in the world after freeing himself from the binds)
    PS: Iv only read the first book:)

Or a HP/Eragon as a wizard capable of doing magic twice hes bodies capabilities or being twice(trice) as strong as normal humans. And he has some understanding of the laws of nature as anyone from this Earth.

PS:pS:Anyone know of any existing Fics from these universes.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    I started to write a bartimaeus xover, but I stopped after a few chapters. I just couldn't find anything to write about. Go look in the authors fics subforum, and youll find it there. You may want to contemplate taking it over. Its set right after the first book, making it AU of the rest.

15. Ravage

Ravage First Year

I was actually first introduced to HP fanfiction through crossovers from another fandom, that fandom being Ranma 1/2. There's actually no set "Big Bad" except at the very end and has various types of magic and martial arts built in so it's a good series to cross just about anywhere.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    I don't now a lot about Ranma, but IMO any Japanese style anime/manga style xover is completely and utterly horrid. They just don't blend well IMO

17. Vascudo

Vascudo First Year

Actually,I found a HP/Ranma cross that was pretty good.:eek:

18. The Sinner

What about a HP/Kingdom Hearts crossover? Would that work?

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    Don't know a lot about KH, but from what I know, it makes an ok xover, but not a brilliant one. That said, I never though Firefly could crossover well with HP, but most folk thinkthat nonjon has managed it ok.

20. Masked Critic

Masked Critic Backtraced

Heh. For me I usually end up branching out to read new series BECAUSE of crossovers. Read a Ranma/HP and ended up reading HPfiction. Read an HP/Naruto and went over to Naruto fics. Stuff like that.

I've been mulling over doing an HP/Geist crossover for a while now. I probably won't, though, because I'm too lazy.