1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC/Marvel-Harry xover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by GrayFox, Nov 29, 2011.

1. syed

syed Supermod

2. chriar

chriar Third Year

I would like to point out that while some people dislike the new 52, it achieved what I believe DC set out to do. That is, to give people like me, that have never picked up a comic before in their life, a perfect opportunity to jump into comics. Sadly, now I'm spending about 30 bucks a week on comics, but other than that it was a good thing for me.

3. GrayFox

GrayFox Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

tea cozy? and supes hanging people out windows, isn't that batman's thing?

4. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

An alternative is to use the DC animated universe canon (Batman the animated series, Superman the animated series, justice league/unlimited, batman beyond) as the cross-over setting. The DCAU is much far less continuity-snaring as a whole than the comics.

5. GrayFox

Wouldn't this be true for any graphic novel/comic turned cartoon? X-men, IronMan, SpiderMan, The Fantastic 4, and The Avengers; when compared to there printed origins they are a lot less restrictive. Some episodes for those cartoons are made specifically for the show with no base in the comics.

6. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

yes, but they'd still have more material to work with than say, the movie canon of said work.

7. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

So which fics did you find that were good?
    I've tried Terminal Justice in the past, but I couldn't really get into it (felt like reading it was pointless, moreso than most fanfics). It wasn't bad, I just got tired of the standard Make A Wish plotline.

I checked out "A life Beyond the Hallows" but I didn't really like it at all. It felt poorly written to me. I remember feeling the same way about some other fics here I read in the past (IIRC, it was "A wizard in Gotham" but I could be wrong).

So yeah, there are a lot of fics here (and as mentioned, many are practically clones of each others): which ones are the best? Is Terminal Justice really the stand-out winner here?

8. GrayFox

I personally like Harry Isley, even though it isn't finished. There is no reason, I just like it. I think the reason Terminal Justice is so recommended is because, it is just a fun fic. There is no serious plot to it, Harry(Mr. Black) is just having some fun while on vacation.

9. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Yeah, I see where the appeal in Terminal Justice comes from. It's just that I've already read MAW, so the fic felt really repetitive and formulaic, combined with the lack of a plot and I just felt like there wasn't enough reason to keep reading it.

I'll check out Harry Isley. Any other fics that stand out from the crowd?

10. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Water Mage's is one of the best, but hasn't been updated in a while ( I think he's busy on Awaken Sleeper). Mutant Storm is readable.

Most of them are kinda shit, to be honest.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

(coughs) More Kara.

12. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

This is why I didn't feel like reading through all of them looking for something decent.

But yeah, I read Water Mage's story a long time ago.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Needs moar links D8

14. Thaumologist

High Score:
    here we go...

15. GrayFox

Jor's got a fever, and the only way to fix it is more cowbell..........err I mean more Kara.

---------- Post automerged at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Ok so I'm going to link to everything I have read in the past 72hrs that hasn't made me want to scratch out my eyeballs(and maybe some that only drew a small bit of blood):
    Bat and Lion
    Harry Isley
    A Storm in Hogwarts
    Harry Potter: The New Phoenix

Protector, Imposter, Angel
    Run Away in Gotham
    Shadowmage
    Teen Titan Potter
    Harry Potter and the Invincible TechnoMage
    Anthony Stark and The Iron Teen
    Family
    Harry Stark and the Philosophers Stone
    Journey of the IronMage
    Harry Potter X
    Harry Potter: A Life Beyond the Hallows
    Harry Potter: ShadowKnight

16. Sero Dace

Sero Dace First Year

I am too lazy to actually go to Caerazkaban, so I am asking it here: Is Terminal Justice completely finished? I believe the last time I read it through, the ending was a bit iffy with the last chpater being something that could be considered an end, except for the last note: final chapter to be posted.

That said, my own contribution which hasn't been mentioned yet, I think:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6654571/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Iron_Knowledge

(Though it is the fic that Pro guy based 'Anthony Stark and the Iron Teen' on)

My review:

Pretty decent from what I remembered with an awful (though luckily barely mentioned) OC romance, but otherwise a combination of none-too-terrible writing, a nice bit of length and a relatively well working crossover. Definitely one of the best Marvel crossovers.

17. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Yeah, I don't think TJ is finished completely. There's mention of a chapter to come. Over a year ago.

18. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Hellblazer: Hogwarts

Technically Vertigo, and over 5 years gone without an update, but still my standard for comics/HP crossovers.

19. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Terminal Justice is definitely my favorite dc cross. The expanded one shots and whatever really make it a fun read. I'm sure it will be finished one day. Haven't seen a Harry/Kara done better. I'll have to check a few of these stories out.

20. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

Terminal Justice, while a passable story on its own, fails to capture the essence of both DC and Mr. Black. DC universe is a grim place where even the supposed heroes are flawed and human. Mr. Black is an oblivious but competent wizard who just happened to have a most fearsome reputation.

What he is not, however, is a wizard capable of destroying Darksied and his Furies singlehandedly. Mr. Black is can be far more engaging character than his " band-aid wizard" portrayal in TJ.

Any DC or Marvel crossover should follow the mould of Project M (the definitive marvel cross-over, IMO), where magic is just another superpower with it's strength and weakness. Otherwise the conflict would be onesided and hardly engaging.