1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted Chapters of Worm? Spoilers

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Consumptus, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

So, I stumbled upon this deleted chapter.

Since I'm new to Worm I was wondering if there were any other such deleted chapters that not nixed while Wildbow was writing.

I was wondering what happened to Shatterbird... Her fate was so confusing in the story.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Wow, never read that before. That was pretty interesting.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, I read that one when it was first posted. It was just not a good plot point, and would likely have convoluted the story beyond saving if it wasn't handled soon.

4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I think that was the only chapter that was pulled. I don't remember the contents of it, other than it being very negatively received. He removed it really quickly.

You do have to realize that Wildbow actually started writing Worm 8+ years ago, so there's probably way more deleted content we just never got to read. He basically talked about on his blog how the story went through several iterations before coming out as it did. Originally, Rune was the protagonist. Glory Girl/Panacea were considered as 'duogonists', too. I wish Rune had been given a little more fleshing out, but I'm definitely glad Glory Girl got put on the sidelines. Panacea being a bigger focus of Worm wouldn't necessarily have been bad either, but she'd need her ridiculous power set and angst toned down some.

I still can't believe we were going to have Aegis as the protagonist after Leviathan. That would have been so stupid. I'd rather read more about Emma Barnes than Aegis of all people.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Would have loved to have seen more of Rune.

I liked the way Panacea was handled. More interludes may have been good, but her angsty tragedy and how she comes out of it was one of my favourite bits of Worm. Couldn't really do that if she was a protagonist.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I think faultline was the first protagonist, not rune.

7. Nightfire

Nightfire Muggle

8. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I could have sworn the original draft was about Glory Girl and Panacea. There was also a draft centered around Circus.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There was Guts and Glory, the Panacea and Glory Girl stuff.

I think one of the reasons as to why Worm works so well is that so many of the characters had been intended to be main characters at some point and had sufficient planning and depth prepared beforehand. As such, when they became secondary or tertiary characters, Wildbow had a great handle on them.