1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone else feel Tom Riddle Sr. was unfairly painted as the bad guy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThatGreekLady, Jul 8, 2016.

1. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    I don't know if it's just me, but when I first read the series as a kid, I got the impression that Riddle Sr. was some deadbeat dad who left poor Merope. I guess it's just the tone JKR used when she described the story.

Now that I'm older, I think Riddle Sr. was a victim and that his actions were justified and that Merope should have gone to jail or to a mental asylum since she basically raped him.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I think must people got that he was a victim. He was brain washed and raped. Then murdered for it. Even tumblr would have a hard Time picking on that cis white guy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. Mestre

Mestre Professor

You weren´t the only one, I also found him a "bad" parent.

4. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    I don't know. Some people seem to be making excuses for Merope saying she was abused as a child (ehm...most rapists and serial killers had abusive families, it doesn't justify their actions) and the tone Dumbledore used when he was speaking about Tom and Merope, made Merope sound like some sort of victim (or at least that was the impression I got).

It just seems to me that the situation would be treated differently if Merope was a man.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh, you know what... you're sort of right. My first instinct when I saw this thread was along the lines of the following: "Riddle Sr.? Dude walked out on his infant son, of course he wasn't a good guy, even if he wasn't evil either."

Then I had a moment of "Wait, what?" and remembered that Merope had screwed with his head. So really he was right to GTFO of dodge.

But what I remember, the impression I had from reading the books, is that... yeah, Merope needed help with the kid and he ran off. And that impression isn't quite fair to him, because he was a victim in that particular relationship.

Though I'd still say a good person would have tried to get the kid away from her since she obviously wasn't sane/stable.

No one should be making excuses for Merope though. Regardless of how horrible her childhood was she still did something wrong, or such is my recollection.

Interesting. I'm honestly really interested in how my brain twists random half-remembered details into 'feelings' regarding characters.

6. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Oh my. AU where Tom Riddle Jr. is raised by the Riddles.

7. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    To be fair, we don't know exactly at which point Tom Sr. walked out, maybe he didn't even know Merope was pregant even if Dumbledore speculates otherwise.

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

I never felt TR Sr. was a bad guy. My general feelings towards him was that he was an idiot for drinking water offered by the girl from the weird af house with a couple of criminals that had been jailed (if Muggles are told that wizards in Azkaban are in jail) and a creepy snake nailed to the door. Like if it were me I woulda booked it as soon as Merope came up to me. Also, after you're cleared of the love potions you don't just go back to your old house when a witch or wizard could come after you for revenge. You get out the country and hope they don't track you down.

But yeah, never saw Riddle Sr. as the bad guy. If he is portrayed that way though, then yes it is rather unfair.
    General impression was that he was somewhat stupid, but not bad per se.

9. Mestre

Mestre Professor

This perception was caused to some us because of our age and a selfish point of view. Been abandoned by our father causing our mother´s death is so unforgiven that we couldn´t see Tom Riddle Sr. point of view.

edit:

Losing his will and being raped is good enough reason to run a way.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. Ched

I wasn't a child when OotP/HBP came out and I have always had a great relationship with my father. So that reasoning doesn't work for me.

I can see Riddle Sr.'s POV, and always could. He got the short end of the stick there. But to me the books... in the books it was about what made Tom Jr. into Voldemort. LV was at the heart of that tale, and the moral I felt it pushed was that his mum was batshit insane and his father walked out.

We're in Harry Potter's POV, and Harry is in LV's head. I think that's why I at least left with a weird impression of Riddle Sr. Because the 'moral of the story' is that his leaving contributed to LV turning evil, which in turn led to pretty much all the bad things that happen in the series.

It didn't occur to me that he might not know Merope had a kid, because the whole damn story is about the kid. He was right to GTFO when it came to Merope but all in all it left me with the impression that the dude was just flawed.

And yeah, in hindsight... I want to go read it again to see if that's fair. Because maybe the guy came to his senses, had no clue WTF was going on except some crazy chick drugged him, and booked it out of there.

Anyone know off-hand where this is in the books?

11. Miner

Miner Order Member

He knew there was a baby. Dumbledore specifically mentioned the possibility that Merope believed he would stay for the baby. Which means that she had to have been pregnant and thus Riddle Sr. prolly knew about it.

Dunno where exactly it is, but Id be willing to bet it's in that section of HBP where Ogden visits the Gaunts. Or somewhere close after. Although you might've already known this..

12. ThatGreekLady

High Score:

That was just Dumbledore's speculation though.

13. Miner

Miner Order Member

But it means that Merope was pregnant and she knew it. Somehow I find it hard to believe she wouldn't tell TR Sr. about that.

14. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    1)Merope was probably insane.

2) Do we know exactly about how the timeline was?

Anyway, even if Tom Sr. knew about the pregnancy he was justified for walking out. I imagine he wouldn't want to have anything to do with witches and wizards after that.

15. Ched

Justified for walking out, absolutely. Justified for calling the cops, aurors, and the looney bin, absolutely. He was the victim and it's not his fault that Junior ended up a murderous psychopath.

But I have trouble labeling him as anything more positive than 'just a guy with shit luck' when he didn't take any action for the child's benefit.

In a way it makes him feel real. I could see a real person doing what he did and washing their hands of it. A typical storybook character would have done something more easily labeled as 'good' or 'bad.'

16. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    I suppose Tom Riddle Sr. didn't belive her. She wasn't exactly trustworthy person after raping him and making him run away with her.

17. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Eh, the guy was right to nope the hell out of there. His mind was clear after an entire year being drugged, tricked into thinking that he loved an unstable woman. Worse, what was stopping her to drug him again, mindfucking him back into that state? Hell, how does one feel after realizing that they were having thoughts, memories and feelings that now felt utterly alien. One whole year of that. Fuck.

It's sad that he left Tom behind, but he has as much blame as a raped woman that denied giving birth to the rapist's child. Which means, none at all.

18. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Could Riddle Sr. really have explained it to police or authorities though? I'm not too familiar with society's view on women raping men in the 1920s, but even today people don't always take it very seriously. Riddle Sr. might have looked like the insane one with a story about a witch drugging him into a relationship.

Merope also died shortly after giving birth to Voldemort, so who knows whether or not his father even knew there was a problem. Voldemort ended up in a London orphanage while Riddle Sr. was off in Little Hangleton. If the orphanage didn't contact him, Riddle Sr. might have never realized Merope died and his son orphaned.

There are so many parts to this that we don't know enough about that I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially since he was the victim, and who knows how this whole thing affected his mind.

19. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    If Riddle went to the police and said that a woman used "magic" on him, they would either consider him crazy or assume that he was lying.

20. guestreader

guestreader First Year

High Score:
    I don't remember if there is anything that states how far into the pregnancy Merope was but if it was reasonably late then it would have been a very different series if he left taking the baby with him. He was justified and Merope was insane but ickle Voldemort suffered the most.