1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Pokemon Tournament: Elite 4

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Lutris, May 24, 2011.

1. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Clarification: FUCK THOSE POKEMON ;.;

In all seriousness though, Im having a fair bit of trouble countering some of the new tricks/pokemon brought in this Gen, some of which are just fucking cheap.

2. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Honestly, it's next to impossible to really counter everything with just a 6 poke team, at least in the truest sense of the word.

What you really need to do is to build a team with a plan and then execute your plan better than your opponent does theirs. That's also why I insist on having wifi mode on - Hard to adjust for something when you don't even know that you should be. And the amount of pokemon that go from docile to insane with just one turn of setup (blaziken, any shellsmasher, drillmon, etc) really require both a plan and wifi mode so you know they are coming.

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

As the prostitute once said to a competitor on the next street corner, "You can be as cheap as you want, but I'll always make sure to be cheaper."

This gen is cheap, so you gotta be cheap too. As Kai said, you can't realistically counter everything in a six team. Besides, the ones Drome listed are so well known and easy to counter - it's the "surprise" ones you have to look out for. Stealth Rock takes down a Volcarona well enough, and Taunt can stop it QD'ing right away, not to mention a Stone Edge from a mildly-powered anything that can learn Stone Edge... Ferrothorn? Come on son, Ferrothorn is easy to take down - fire and ice. Reuniclus? I'd like to think since everyone has a Reuniclus now, they're not impossible to take down else nobody would win their battles. In short, be cheaper.

And fuck your Wi-Fi mode, Kai. Hate that.

4. Kang

I didnt mean everything - just a select few in the OU tier that has reached a massive popularity within the metagame. The problem is that many of my teams are reactive rather than proactive. Meaning I absorb the damage taken by predicting it and dealing big damage on either the switch in or by setting up.

And this Gen has proved to be a massive boon to people who prefer to set up for the long haul and tbh thats probably a good thiing. But you can only see so many SS or Rain teams before you lose your mind xD

5. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Not having a good plan to counter or at least deal with the most popular Pokes in the metagame is the height of foolishness.

Volcarona is easily dealt with with Rock type moves- or a decent enough SpDef wall, or any pokemon that can deal with pokes piling buffs and powerups.

Ferrothorn has its glaringly obvious fire weakness but also has a decent Fighting weakness that's useable- or you can even use Reuniclus and Focus Blast it to death. In any case, easily dealt with.

And if you don't have a strategy to deal with weather teams is just retarded.

If you still don't know how to deal with this kind of shit, there's still online resources with popular pokemon lists on Wifi and Dream World battles floating around the place.

Anyway, as a footnote, the top 15 most popular pokemon for the last week in the Japanese metagame:

1. Garchomp
    2. Rotom-W
    3. Volcarona
    4. Metagross
    5. Latios
    6. Ferrothorn
    7. Scizor
    8. Tyranitar
    9. Politoed
    10. Abomasnow
    11. Hydreigon
    11. Jellicent
    13. Dragonite
    13. Gyarados
    13. Excadrill

6. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Well, I think allowing the opponent to gain offensive momentum is a mistake in this metagame unless you're running stall. A single misstep is all it takes for a garchomp or cloyster to be at +2 and beating down your door.

It's much much easier to control the battle if villain is switching to your moves rather than the reverse.

As for significant offensive threats, running powerful priority is one of the better ways to deal with them, since they are mostly defensively weak (garchomp being the main outlier here).

7. Lutris

Okay. I'm incredibly sorry about everything, but I've been extremely busy and overworked over the past couple of weeks, with finals looming ahead at the end of July.

That said, I'm more inclined to have shit be more enjoyable for everyone, and since most of us (excluding me) undoubtedly have a lot of free time on our hands, I've decided to run this as a Swiss style tournament.

All the teams seem to be in, so I'm kick starting this thing. Arrange your matches and whatnot.

Final Teams:
    After randomly shuffling the players about 10 times with my eyes closed, we have our seed.

[​IMG]

And now for the rules, if you're unclear on what a Swiss tourney entails.

Does that sound good to all you pokefags? >:3

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Fuck Vira and that bullshit ass team

0-3 :awesome

9. Lutris

Awesome, I come home to find that there's already been a match played. I'm hoping that we can get through a round every week, so we'll be done by the time August rolls around and summer really kicks in (at least for me).

I'm so happy! :awesome

Congrats to Vira for winning her battles, and as a sidenote, the matches are best of three, so it's quite impossible to win 3 battles in a single round.

Also, to Kalas: I have a Chemistry midterm tomorrow, so I'm studying like mad, but I'll be able to play over the weekend.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I won against ALB 3-0. He played really well though.

11. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

Not really. Got rolled. Had fun though.

Enjoy those points Fiat. They might be your last. :eek:

12. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

13. Lutris

I KNEW I was forgetting something. 1.5 points work for you?

14. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

15. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First opponent Lutris? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

16. Kang

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

17. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Through the power of positive thinking and copious weeping, my computer is fixed and I'm back in the tourney. :nyan: Let's get it on.

EDIT: Just had my match with MattSilver and won 2-0. The first battle was pretty damn close, but the second I managed to baton pass a substiute to my cloyster and sweep. That brings me up to a grand old 2 points.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  18. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sooooo... how are them battles going? D:

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If Grub would get on irc at the same time as me, they'd be going fine. >_>

20. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

2-0 against Aekiel.