1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I know it's only a minute and a half, but it just reinforced my impression that this season is looking rather good. And vampires who actually seemed creepy, rather than angsty? Revolutionary!

@Jjif88: I know what you mean, but he seemed more subdued. DT would have been shouting that at the top of his voice in all liklihood.

EDIT: From an interview with Matt Smith here :

He's one of us!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't have much to complain about the 11th Doctor if the Joe's preview is anything to go by.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That wasn't half bad. I thought I'd hate it a *lot* more than I did. Karan Gillan is just fucking hot.

The real ++ for me was at the end of the episode. Baddass eyeball conversation while he sorted his tie. I approve.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Have to admit he wasn't bad, it will take a few episodes for me to get used to him but it looks like it will be pretty good.

Also lol on the "I'm a kissagram" "you were a little girl five minutes ago"

It would have been interesting if he had taken little Amy along instead.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. Shinysavage

High Score:
    This. That was just epic.

Interesting...but as a friend of mine said "Yes, go on little girl - you follow that 900+ year old man into his magic box."

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. Matt Smith was very good - rather manic, but in a good way. The monster was a bit rubbish, but that wasn't really the point of the episode, so meh. And yes, Gillan was very nice.

6. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Its Doctor Who though and not Doctor Pedophile :L
    I missed it because I was out. I heard it was very good though.:(

7. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I've never watched an episode of Doctor Who in my life. Is this new incarnation a good place to jump in at?

8. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Yes because its a new Doctor, but if you can get the series where David Tennant (And even Christopher Eccleston was in it was pretty decent) was The Doctor you'll be happy you did.

9. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, this season would be a good place to start. Though if you have spare time then going back to watch the 9th and 10th Doctor is worth it.

And yeah, that threat was :awesome.

10. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Damn it, you beat me to it! This was definitely my favourite line of the episode beyond the Doctor eye-fucking the giant eyeball and telling it to run. I do still miss David Tennant, but I'm wholly confidant in Steven Moffat's ability to write fucking great episodes of Doctor Who. Now that he's got control of the overall story-arcs, I'm sure we'll be in for some great stuff.

Also, what did people think of the Union-Jack sporting Daleks? It seemed to be some sort of future WW2-esque fight where the UK had co-opted the galaxy's most ruthless killing machines, which should be interesting when the Doctor gets pissed!

11. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Personally my favourite bit was with Jeff. "get a girlfriend" and "oh and, delete your internet history". Matt Smith has the potential to be an epic Doctor, and Moffat's episodes are just better than Russell T Davis' attempts. Getting the air of majesty and the dark feel mixed in with the witty one liners and craziness, without being corny or stupid.

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I loved it. We're in for quite a ride this season, especially since Rory is going to be a recurring character / second companion.

The WW2 episode is Episode 3, for those who are interested.

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed it. I'll admit to being previously very unsure of Matt Smith as the Doctor, based on the previews, but it was good! I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, Smith seems to bring something really interesting to the part.

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    It was my favourite line; a rewatch has replaced it with the "I'm definitely a madman with a box!" And yes, I predict the best overall season since...well, it came back.

The next episode is set on a space station that is essentially Britain...but in space. I'm thinking that'll be the Daleks. As for why...well, if you could control them, you'd be unstoppable. It'll all end in chaos though.

15. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Okay. My two cents is this:

Meh.

Matt Smith seems to have a personality partly based off of David Tennant's Doctor - which means that he's either going to morph slowly as the series progresses, or he'll morph quickly into David Tennant's trenchcoat tails.

Amy Pond is Ginny Weasley, nuff said.

The theme tune sounds like Sarah Jane's Adventures with some Derbyshire clips thrown in for nostalgia.

The Daleks return again (there hasn't been a season so far without the use of Daleks, meaning they've changed the meaning of the word 'overkill'). I wonder if we'll see angst and forlorn gazes into the camera.

And the parallel universe Cybermen return again, too. Does anyone remember Mondas? Anyway, they seem to be a little decapitated and disabled, which is cool. But no more god damned cyber-apes. Bring back the cybermats.

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

I noticed you got your people mixed up thought I'd fix that for you. Seriously, if Gin looked like that and had a more filled out role in the books, I'd be the number one Harry/Ginny fan. Also, the girl is only 22....who the hell did the casting for Ginny and missed her?

17. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

Smith seems a lively and fun enough doctor, but he doesn't have any presence. The scene where he told off the eye was basically just that- a scolding. Where's the power born of over 900 years of living? He seems like a twenty year old Time Lord, not a 900 and something year old Time Lord in a twenty-something year old's body.

I anticipate the season being a fun romp, but not particularly good. Not to mention the scenes to come, bar the weeping angels and Bill Nighy, didn't exactly win me over.

18. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

This. It's funny, I had a bunch of friends over to watch the new ep and afterwards when talking about the best episodes of the previous seasons everyone immediately mentioned all the one's Moffat wrote.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl In The Fireplace, Blink (which was without a doubt the best episode of series 3), Silence in the Library and The Forest of the Dead (my favourite episodes of the show since its revival). Moffat's been responsible for some other great stuff on British television, I'd highly recommend his series "Jekyll" with James Nesbitt. His writing is always quality.

I think this might be a bit harsh, remember in the Christmas Invasion Tennant's Doctor still had a few Ecclestone-like mannerisms that he grew out of. As Matt Smith's Doctor said, he was still "cooking" during The Eleventh Hour. I feel confident Moffat and Smith have a plan of where they want to take the Doctor over the season.
    True dat. I'd love to see the return of the tin-foil suit era Cybermen, they have a charm of their own. Plus the Doctor could start murdering them with Gold Stars.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

WHO DA MAN?!

20. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Davis had some pretty epic moments during his stint as writer. Waters of Mars comes to mind. Time Lord victorious is still majorly epic.