1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by leenK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I got an email last thursay saying I was invited. I was like "Nice try, phisher". Was randomly installing games onto my new computer and I noticed Dota 2 there yesterday :)

2. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I play it just about every day. However, it seems most people here play League of Legends over this. I just play and enjoy both.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have 2 extra copies of dota 2.

Anyone want?

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i would like one, if you still have it.

5. Skykes

If you don't mind giving away a key to a non DLP'er my little brother would love a key.

6. Jon

PM me his steam name, and HoS PM me yours.

7. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

In an attempt to breathe life into this thread, here's some random info you guys might find useful: in general tower aggro is such that it targets the closest target 1st and then prioritizes the nearest target attacking either the tower or a hero.

You've probably been in the situation where you're beating on the tower and the tower starts hitting you. There are a couple of things you can do to either prevent this or drop aggro after the fact.

When the tower is hitting a creep, it will keep hitting it as long as it is in range and until it dies. After the creep dies, the tower will switch to the nearest target attacking it or a hero.

To avoid it from switching onto you, stop attacking the tower when your creep is about to die and ensure that you are not the closest target to the tower. After it switches to the next creep, you can go back to autoattacking the turret. This technique isn't super vital on long-ranged heroes (i.e. Drow, Lina, Lion, etc) but is something to know on melee heroes or low ranged heroes.

Another important technique is how to drop tower aggro. If the tower has aggro on you and is starting to fire off shots, instead of taking a ton of damage running past your creeps to get out of tower range, you can simply A-click one of your creeps and the tower will drop aggro on you. A quick video of this in action can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyTTFEva64

8. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

Important to note that attacking an allied hero actually raises your priority as if you had attacked an enemy hero within tower range. You can also chase an enemy hero into the tower's range without triggering aggro as long as there are other things for it to target and you don't click the hero while in range.

If there are creeps attacking you and there's an allied creep near you, you can attack it to lose aggro in the same way you can a tower.

I don't think there are many people here that play Dota though, let alone consistently enough to keep the thread very healthy.

9. Skykes

I started playing on Sunday, 20 hours so far :p

10. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For whatever reason, beside the fact that there is almost never games when I try to play, my laptop (which I use to game all the time) has a graphics error where the logo during the loading screen constantly tries to assert itself, poorly, over the matchmaking interface, giving me headaches.

11. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

/obvious advice/ You... should probably reinstall. Or contact tech support. That sounds like a really major issue... /obvious advice/

In other news, WHY NO TECHIES! I really want my favorite troll squad back, they were so much fun. Lycan is finally back though, which is completely awesome.

Which hero is your favorite, DLP?

12. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

They're adding the competitive heroes first. It'll probably be Panda next, then CK, but I'm looking forward to TA and Shredder.

As for the graphics issue, have you tried verifying the files and updating your drivers? If those don't fix the problem it's probably something I'd take it to the development forums at dev.dota2.com.

There's usually at least 30,000 people online throughout the day, there's always going to be a match, but your first few games may take a while to matchmake for, but when you start losing and winning games it'll become faster.

13. Paradox

Paradox Squib

I miss Troll Warlord...wheres my perma stun. I can never compare this game to LOL. Everything is so much different.

I play this, then i play LOL and kill everyone cause i can harass and go (WTF so much mana!)

Also, if you don't like getting insta gibbed in LOL then don't even go near this game.

JUGGERNAUT!!!!

14. deviatesfish

deviatesfish Squib

Heya, I have an extra beta key sitting around.

I'm also looking for people to play with. My steam id is Wandering Ghost.

15. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I invited you as a friend deviatesfish.

I am Cyber-Kun in everything related to gaming however.

16. Pantricelog

Pantricelog First Year

I play everyday with my friends. Some times we have enough for an inhouse. My name is Pantrice on steam if anyone wants to play sometime.

17. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

So apparently, DOTA 2 will be free to play.
    Here's hoping it will have the same system as LoL. I think they'll nail it down well, it's Valve after all.

18. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

It having the same F2P system as LoL would destroy the game's competitive scene entirely, they won't go that route. I wouldn't be surprised if accomodations are used as some sort of in-game currency or other incentive to only play on one account.

19. Skykes

Thanks Jon!

Here's a conversation earlier with my brother.

Lulz

20. Jon

Did he thank you for getting him the key? :3