1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

WIP Dragons of Ice and Fire by serpentguy - M - A Song of...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Invictus, Jan 7, 2017.

1. The Magician

The Magician Muggle

It took me a while to figure out what bothered me so much about the second half of this story, and then I realized - the author is doing his own version of Dany's Meereen arc.

He's got the dragon restricted, he's got the character handling politics instead. Just like Dany, there's an arc showing their attitude going from weak peacemaker to fire and blood. I get what he was trying to do.

The only problem is that the Meereen arc sucked.

It was an awful arc in a dance with dragons, GRM even admitted he fucked up. I can't understand why anyone would read the Meereen arc and then try to do it again.

This was an even worse version of the Meereenese blot, written by a less experienced writer with even more flaws than the original. Near everything after Jon crossed the Wall was just very disappointing.

I am hoping it can move on and get better, apparently it will be a second book soon.

Mind I did enjoy the southern interlude chapters, and the latest chapters with the Wall have actually been pretty great. On the show, it was "oh, the Wall fell", and so what? There was no impact to it. In this fic, you get some epic battles, heroic sacrifices and all. There are good battle scenes, and one thing the author does really well is this constant feeling of dread and horror.

It's just a shame. This story is still decent, but it could have been great.

2. Tesla

Tesla Auror

Overall, it's good. I never stopped being compelled to read on the whole way through, which is ultimately the most fundamental sign of quality. I guess I'd give it a 4-4.5/5.

I have a question though — why are so many of the commenters on the forum so ridiculously offended by the fact that Jon Snow didn't indiscriminately use a weapon of mass destruction to dominate Westeros? That's one of the most in character things about this story.

Once you allow for the fact that Jon is reluctant to slaughter innocent people with an ice dragon (which, duh — it's Jon Snow), it's clear he faces a deck that's stacked against him. Besides, he wouldn't be able to gain the loyalty of anyone behind the wall if he did use the dragon in that manner.

Meanwhile, some of the people here are crying because he didn't fuck a female character the way they wanted him too, or because he wasn't making sufficiently masculine noises in battle.

The author goes a little OTT in places (specifically with some of the magic granted to rivals) in his efforts to ensure the protagonist is constantly challenged, but ultimately the task Jon faces is a ludicrously difficult one. Uniting Westeros — or even just the North — against the White Walkers with a band of thieving rapists and a dragon he can only use for mass murder doesn't exactly seem easy. You have to have the plot armour of a protagonist to make any progress at all.

Anyway, it's a good story, albeit not without its flaws. The most impressive aspect of it is the characterisation. Every character's voice feels true to the original books and clear in their own way. A lot of thought has clearly gone into plotting the story and it's worthy of respect. The way Jon's character develops — the dejected manner in which he becomes more ruthless, whilst still not departing too far from his fundamental nature — is legitimately interesting and convincing.

There is an issue with the fact that some POVs are simply not as interesting as others, and in the author's efforts to flesh out the perspectives and motivations within the story he can sometimes make it drag. But it's not one that prevents you from enjoying the story.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Supreme Mugwump

1. Watch your mouth, you filthy uncle-fucker.
    2. We just didn't understand why he didn't destroy the Boltons like he destroyed the Freys. They were both guilty, and the Boltons were an immediate threat. Granted, a more pragmatic Jon Snow means way less plot.

4. serpentguy

serpentguy Second Year

High Score:
    What does this even mean?

Because the Boltons weren't standing around waiting to be dragon'd. They immediately scattered their army into guerrilla tactics, while Roose and co holed up in Winterfell with a load of hostages, including (supposedly) Jon's sister. He thought that he couldn't destroy them without killing Arya.

5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Supreme Mugwump

1. Pretty self explanatory. Your uncle is your father's brother, so...

It's also a joke, born of the great Terrence and Phillip of South Park fame. The song goes, "Shut your fucking face, uncle fuckerrrr! Etc."

2. Didn't the Boltons abandon WInterfell?