1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fixed that for you.

2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Hah, my bad. :D

3. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm bored of this fic already, and I agree with an earlier statement in your WBA thread. Having the ship under the Fidelius Charm is quick way of coving the fact that Malfoy (If I read correctly) is there but Voldemort isn't. Especially when Harry had been told of the ship and where it sails.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I understand you don't like the story, and that's fine. I'm just a little puzzled as to why you've apparently kept reading anyway, since you've been pretty outspoken against it since the beginning. Since its not constructive criticism, I have to ask what your purpose in commenting is.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He likes putting people on the internet down to make himself feel better irl!

Or he was just bored...

6. Lincos

Well I actually thought it was alright, not really good and not really bad. Untill chapter 6. I have only commented on it three time.

- The first was a question I had, before I even started reading it, based on the title (whether it was a cross-over or not).
    - The second was stating that, like previously stated, I didn't think it was all that good but chapter 6 made it bad (for me atleast)
    - The third was to say that now I really don't like this story and I read the 7th chapter to see if you made up for the 6th (which I thought you hadn't)

I still rated this thread, even though I hadn't previously stated it, 3/5 after reading chapters 1-5. It just shows that it was to early to form a good opinion of it. which I think happens to a lot of threads in 'for review'. People rate something due to its first few chapters and it ends up getting a really good or really bad rating.

Well, at the moment I hope that the ship won't be part of the main plot and I might pick this up again after he's left it to see what else pops up. But right now, its not looking good.

-Linc-

7. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

From what I understand of the Fidelius based on what we've seen in canon (ie. Grimmauld Place), it comprises of three aspects: The object or building to be hidden, the secret (such as where the building is; it's location) and the Secret Keeper.

The ship, while large, is still an object that can possibly be hidden. But the problem is the secret itself. Since the ship is moving, it is not tied to any fixed location, unlike the Order Headquarters, which has it's location (Number 12 Grimmauld Place) as the secret. The ship's location is ever changing, so it's impossible to hide where it is with the charm.

Would it not be better to say that Obscuring Charms (a possible variant of the Muggle-Repelling ones) were cast on it to prevent others from easily noticing the ship? In fact, the very fact that the ship is moving would only make the spell all the more effective.

All in all though, this is just a minor quibble I have.

8. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Why the fixed location can't be for example "North Sea"? You are thinking more like a muggle - you assume that the location is need to be precise, like X and Y coordinates - tied into one place. In my opinion, secret like "Galloping Galleon is located in the North sea" would suffice for magic.

9. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Sounds a little too vague to me. Or buildings could easily be hidden with a secret like "XYZ is located in London" etc. But that isn't the case as we have seen.

Even if that is possible, the ship cannot leave the North Sea, for example, without having to have a new charm cast on it or having the current one dispelled.

My point is the Fidelius charm simply isn't practical for a mobile object, or anything that is constantly on the move.

Also, with the ship the size of the Galleon, we are talking about at least a thousand wizards on board. The Secret Keeper would have to reveal the secret to a large number of people, anyone of whom can easily reveal his identity.

I've always thought that the less people who knows the secret, the better it is when it comes to the Fidelius.

10. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I thought it didn't matter if people who weren't the Secret Keeper revealed the location, and only the Secret Keeper could let people in on the secret through either speaking it or writing it down.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Unless the original secret keeper dies, in which case every previous holder of the secret becomes a secret keeper.

Yeah, thank you DH for screwing with the charm even more.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Err, wait a moment. No one but the Secret Keeper can reveal the location. Everyone else can only speak about it in general terms. That’s part of the magic. That said, how about a dynamic Fidelius charm?

The secret is the location. Regardless of where that location is. Why should the charm break down, simply because the location changes? So you use it on the ship once, and the only thing you have to do is to constantly send out new invitations*, because the old ones are useless, once the ship has moved. Has the added advantage that no one can access the ship forever; there may be people who should no longer have access, after all.

Whether or not that is practical is a completely different thing. It makes the Galleon something like an invite-only club, and by tendency, those are small, with a strictly limited group of people -- arguably also because it simply is the wrong format for mass events.

However here the rules are even sharper, because you have to invite the people not once, but all over again, once you move the ship. Then again, magic makes things easier. Perhaps you could have something like an automated invite-system ...

Eh, whatever. I doubt this is a point that will ever come up again in the story.

*Lucullus, actually no one has to know the Secret Keeper. The invitations can come in a written way, you can magically alter your handwriting -- the Secret Keeper can always remain the mysterious figure in the shadows.

Edit:
    Taure, I've stopped counting DH as Canon in regards to the Fidelius charm. Rowling has simply broken her own rules there, to get the plot to work.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  13. Skeletaure

High Score:
    For the sake of argument: the secret is the location, which means if the location has changed then the secret has changed. Which means that you'd need a new charm for the new secret.

One way around this could be to be clever and hide the location of the ship without actually specifying a location which is tied down. So, for example, "the location of the galleon is such that it is the ship with the captain of the Galleon on" or something like that. So long as the captain stays on board, the charm holds.

14. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Does the Fidelius charm have to cover the entire ship? I mean maybe it could be argued that just the cabin that Harry is in is covered by the charm. That could also be another reason why Harry is in such a "luxury" prison. The secret could then be something like "The secret cabin is located on the second deck, third door from the right on the ship Galloping Galleon" or something like that.

That kind of charm would still hide Harry, but would avoid the headache of having to constantly have the secret keeper reveal the location to everyone who wants go visit the ship itself.

As for the location of the cabin, it would move in universal terms true, but not in the reference to the ship. Just like "Grimmauld Place, London" changes its location in universal terms as the earth orbits the sun, but not in reference to the city of London.

15. Lincos

See now people are just pulling things out their ass trying to explain the authors mistakes, instead of her explaining it.

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

No, it's turning into another Fidelius discussion. As all threads about stories that use the charm inevitably do.

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    That's what she said.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Indeed, Mr. Taure. Indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
  20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    New chapter was meh. Pretty much the same as before: good action, well written, superficially interesting plot, but lacking depth in that it's all very convenient. Realism is dropped in favour of artificially engineering an interesting plot. I also had magical theory based objections, which is the beginning of the end.