1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No I don't. If a world is internally coherent, no suspension of disbelief is needed.

2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

If I may, what do you find to be incoherent about it?

3. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Off to go read the fic again so I can go through it systematically.

Being banned from TS means I have the time to do it.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Hm, very much appreciated. I'm looking forward to it. :D

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Okay, I lied. I started to do this, but then I realised that effectively betaing 50k words of story was not my idea of a fun Saturday night.

So yeah, you win by default.

But I have mentioned some of the stuff that brought me out of immersion earlier in the thread. Actions I considered unbelievable given certain factors, the arbitrary/wandering nature of the plot progression, the ease with which Harry's protections are breached (given that Dumbledore is possibly the most powerful wizard in the world and that Harry is his top priority), much of the magic doesn't meld well with my view of canon (lots of it seems more like Dresden magic), the fact that Harry wasn't located very quickly (the whole 'Tonks didn't read the paper' thing didn't convince me, and just seemed even more convienient).

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have to say that I liked the whole idea that Tonks didn't read the paper, it irony was delicious.

Overall, while the story is still very enjoyable to read, it is still very hard to see where the plot actually comes in. Well written and so on, but what is the plot?

I'm content to be patient and wait for it, at least. I get the feeling RustyRed has planned this out, and has some decent stuff in store for us.

7. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Good update. Malfoy's fate pleases me and the river spirit was interesting.

I'm not sure I buy Fudge having much leverage on Harry even if he started randomly AKing people at this point, though. If Dumbledore was dead maybe, but with the master politician still kicking post-OOTP Fudge is totally neutered (probably part of the Dumbles master plan(tm)). Hopefully he gets slapped down into place quickly.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  8. ramadden13

ramadden13 Fifth Year

I think the next chapter is going to be very interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most people were led to believe that he willingly chose to come aboard the ship and take part in the pit. Fudge's reaction and the extent that the law reaches to the Galleon will be something I will take great interest in. Can the law touch the Galleon? Or has it become so powerful due to it's clientel that it is nearly-untouchable and actions on it don't bring severe legal penalties in the real world.

The spirit seemed interesting, and good riddance for Malfoy. I can see Harry's mindset a little clearer with this chapter. He tried to patch Malfoy up, but, when it became clear that Malfoy was doomed and only dead weight, Harry hardly blinked in leaving the man to fend for himself.

I'll give it a 4.5/5 for me right now.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Lol. Well, that was that, I suppose. Did you always plan for Malfoy to go up in flames? Anyway, a good chapter, not outstanding (due to its transitory nature); but necessary and certainly interesting, with more info about the other world.

I'm actually at a loss as to what Fudge could possibly want (if it’s more than wanting to hear what happened, I mean). I don't think it could be about what took place at the Galleon -- the way I understood it, it was the very idea of the ship that it was outside of any country, so that no external law applies there. So Fudge can bluster as much as he wants, he can't do a thing.

Well, perhaps it's illegal to import self-made, unregistered wands. But that's hardly a crime worth more than a fine, and anyway, see below.

I mean, you won't have him replaced, then? Remember that in this case Fudge's, and in extension, the standing of the Ministry altogether is currently on an all time low. In turn, Harry is the Hero (even more so after the Galloping Galleon), and Fudge will be very hesitant to take any further actions against him, after that backfired so spectacularly during OotP.

Whatever Fudge is, I don't picture him stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. He wants to keep his position, and should suck up to Harry.

Edit:
    And even if Fudge is just demanding to hear what he did and how, I don't see a way he could force Harry to make him tell. Let Fudge throw a hissy-fit, and the next day, Harry can do an interview stating how he is "not quite certain that Fudge is any longer able to lead our country in times of war". :p

Basically, Fudge has no right to do anything. Harry's got the upper hand, and should use it: if he wants to cooperate with the Minister, then it's because of his endless kindness (and because he expects favours from Fudge in the future), not because Fudge says so. Let him know it ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Nice Chapter. However like Sesc, I very much doubt that there is anything that Fudge can actually legally charge Harry with. Even if the events on the Galleon were chargable by the Ministry, I don't think there was any proof that Harry did anything illegal. The people on the ship only know that:
    1. Harry participated in two Pit fights.
    2. Harry had a fight with Malfoy.
    There isn't anything really concrete to pin down.

Even with the matter of the wand, there isn't shown any sign that anyone actually knows what the wand is, seeing as how Tonks, at least, is completely clueless to what it actually is.

The only thing I can really think of here, is that perhaps Fudge wants to somehow bribe/blackmail Harry into revealing the full details of what happened so that the Ministry can get some popular press or something, but that itself seems unlikely.

Looking forward to your next update.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I for one really enjoyed that chapter. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

12. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

I just cought up with the last three chapters.
    Aside from the fact, that there really is no coherrent plot as of now - and I'm with Ellisande on that, I can wait - it was really enjoyable.
    I hope Harry is a bit more intelligent this time and actually tells someone what happened and what he apparently is able to do. He needs help and he knows it. Especially if he is to find out how the water spirit (which I liked, by the way) was imprisoned.

I'll definitely keep my vote at 5/5
    Now go and update.

13. random-adam

random-adam Muggle

So, eh, it's been a couple of Wednesdays since the last chapter -- and this is the best, most unique fic I've read lately... what's happenin'?

14. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

I was begining to wonder the same thing. It almost seems like alot of the ff I read have not been updated lately.

15. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Always take the author's predictions on when he can get the next chapter out with a pinch of salt. You never know what sort of work/school or other real life commitment can crop up.

I mean, take Jbern for example- No offense to him of course, as he has a kid now, but his update for TLIL came out three weeks past the date he set down for his readers.

So yeah, Rusty will update when she updates. That's all that can be said, I think.

16. Twisted

Twisted Guest

Loved it, but a bit rushed at times, and you're introducing a FEW too many new concepts. Loved the blood wand.

Eleven out of ten for originality.

Oh and LOL at the river spirit. Actually LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

If blood can be used to escape (Lucius's blood ultimately), why didn't Harry use his own blood to escape rather than put it into a wand?

18. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I assume it's because he didn't think of it until after he saw all the blood pooling on the floor, having only used the ability once before.

Also, he needs to get enough blood on the floor to fit his body through. He'd probably pass out from blood loss if he did that :p

19. lightwater

lightwater First Year

To RustyRed:

Don't get discouraged about writing because from what I have seen, the people on this forum have a very strong tendency to blow very small things out of proportion. I'm new to this community but my immediate first impression was that they spent way too much time trying to find little nitpicky mistakes or inconsistensies. Whenever they find little plot holes, they focus all their attention on them, instead of considering the actual story as a whole.

It's like they all expect a perfect story. Nobody's perfect, and the fact is whether or not they realize that they criticize small things, they don't help matters by being harsh about it, instead of presenting their critiques as constructive, friendly criticism.

That being said... the number of 5/5's in this thread is astounding. Your originality and sheer creativity are astounding, and I think the plot is moving at a very good pace. Some have complained that they'd like to see more explanations, but what would be the point of that? The whole point is that Harry doesn't really know what kind of powers he has or what the Other Side is -- shouldn't the story be about how Harry learns more and more about his powers as time goes on? Don't ruin the adventure and mystery just because some people want to know everything (although I don't think you planned to).

Eagerly awaiting your next update.

5/5.

20. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

For a site that focuses on "little nitpicky mistakes or inconsistensies" and never considers "the actual story as a whole" it really makes you wonder where the hell all of those 5/5's came from...

Generally when you're posting on a site, especially when it's only your second time, it's usually not a good idea to post a message to the author in a public forum spending 2/3 of the paragraphs insulting that said site.

On the story...it's only gotten better since it's started and I'm still looking forward to reading future updates.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008