1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Exile by Easleyweasley - G

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Quill Runner, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

Title: Exile
    Author: Easleyweasley
    Rating: G
    Genre: Angst
    DLP Category: Independent
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 42,108
    Published: November 23, 2006
    Updated: December 20, 2006

Summary: In OotP, Harry is tried in front of the Wizengamot for using magic underage. In OotP, he is cleared. But what if he were found guilty ...?
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/easleyweasley/E01.html

Azkaban fics are prone to being really crappy. Most of them are cheesy revenge fantasies in the vein of old Charles Bronson Death Wish movies. I'm not really sure why I tried this one out. Certainly, the summary leaves something to be desired.

Regardless, I'm glad I did. I give this fic a 4/5.

The biggest thing I liked about this story is the role that Azkaban plays in Harry's development. It doesn't make him super powerful, and he doesn't become some sort of dementor king or any shit like that. Nor does he escape due to the diligent efforts of two-bit characters, like Narcissa and Luna. (15 on Death Row, anyone?). Azkaban sobers canon Harry up and makes him more independent, though not necessarily smarter.

The biggest dislike that I have about this fic is that it starts out on a particular trajectory after Harry's release from prison and it switches gears shortly thereafter. The story seems like it's going to divorce Harry from the magical world, only to turn around and re-integrate him. I don't really mind which direction the plot takes - it just seemed to be some shoddy planning.

Ron and Hermione remain loyal bitches, which I'm fine with. I dislike fics that villify them for the flimsiest of reasons, and I could expect no less given that the author's got the word "Weasley" in the author name. Thankfully, there's negligible Ginny content.

The story focuses more on Harry's personality change and less on the Harry/Ministry/Voldemort conflict. That's disappointing, since I would have liked to see how this colder, more reserved Harry would have dealt with subsequent events.

QR

Checked by Minion, July 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Not bad, not bad at all! to my infinate suprise they actually have a reasonable premise for harry to be in Azakaban, not only that, but his stay was realitivally understandable as well. Character interaction was just a tad on the cumbersome side occasionally, especally between harry and Sirius, But overall a well done fic.

4/5

3. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Not a bad story, enjoyable and realistic. Sometimes you want to read a YouBetrayedMeSoPrepareToGetSporked!Harry and other times you feel like a canon-centric story. 5/5 if you're in the mood for the latter

4. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Incredible. This is absolutely the most fantastic fic I've read in a good long while, it follows canon, the character interaction was beautiful - and if oyu don't like it... you really need to understand the significance and the horror that Azkaban was for Harry in this fic. I don't even know what else I can say about this. Wow.

5/5

5. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

It was good. 4.5/5
    The main downside for me was that it didn't quite feel complete. When the last chapter ended I was like "That's it?"
    Upside is the realistic characterization.

6. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I really like the ministry scene. It's the culmination of a believable harry-after-azkaban-seeking-revenge. Not super!harry, not vindictive!harry, just ivebeenwrongedandillmakeitright!harry. very nice.

I'm midway through the 5th chapter, and i'll write up more after ive read the 7th.

::Edit::

Finished the last chapter. Very nice. I like the ending; it's one that, while not going to the end, completes its purpose. There are no loose ends (not established by the original plot of this particular story, independent of the overall harry potter plot) and you're left with harry moving forward with his life on an upnote. Any more and really, all you're doing is drawing it out. The plot of this story isnt the defeat of voldemort; it's vindication. That's achieved.

Props to the author on not intending to continue with a sequel--once again, this story accomplishes its goals without the need for one.

::Edit by Vash: Dont Double Post. There is an Edit Button!::

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  7. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

4.2/5. Well written and realistic.

8. Phoenix-nl-

Phoenix-nl- Muggle

i give it a 4/5 because of the shitty end

9. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    4/5. Very interesting, very well written, but the end was annoying as hell. It saddened me, because, unlike most Azkaban!Harry stories, this one was actually very feasible, and stuck to canon admirably.

10. Ray

Ray Second Year

Just read through it. The actual core of the story was awesome, possibly the best Azkaban!Harry I've ever read, but the ending was absolute shit. One moment Harry's facing Snape down in a staring contest, and then it's suddenly 'omfg da end lawlzzzz'.

4/5

11. Klael

Yeah, but the main plot to this one was his recovery after azkaban. The story concisely solves that. He gets his revenge, he's changed but still Harry. The plot revolves around that--any story about his further recovery isn't necessary. Now, the main plot of the books is really only background in this story. It's not a primary, or even secondary issue. You can't really base a sequel on a tertiary plot issue.

12. Amadan

Amadan Second Year

I had been hoping for Snape to be put in his place.

13. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I thought it was very good untill he met Ron and Hermione and everyone else again. After that the constant lectures and scolding he recieved just annoyed me. Still, pretty good. 3/5

The constant apologies for stupid crap also annoyed me. I mean, he helped capture 12 Death Eaters, exposed Voldemort, and got Fudge sacked, and he apologises for Bellatrix destroying a prophecy that Dumbledore has record of anyway, jesus.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  14. Alayna

Alayna Second Year

I think that the apologies for the destroyed prophecy was more that he feared with the destroyed sphere the prophecy was not valid any more...

And Harry knows or at least suspects it is about him and Voldie, or at least that it was about the downfall of the dark lord.

I would be distressed too, at first at least, if you fear that you destroyed the chance to put an end to the war.

15. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

One of the most excellant azkaban stories i've read. For once all cliches were avoided. No super god like powers, no incredibly vindictive harry... it was good stuff, and it really stuck to canon which i liked. I wish she would continue it... 5/5

IllusiveOne, this is canon Harry and as far as he knows, the prophecy isn't a recording but the real deal. Besides, the way you want him portrayed is way out of character for canon Harry.

edit: apoligies for double posting

Edit by DGD: I merged your posts, just try and edit your first one next time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  16. Hesuse Christe

Hesuse Christe First Year

Excellent writing, decent plot. 4.35/5

17. Klael

Sanctimonius is right. The Harry Potter portrayed in this story is very cannon. Harry never really focused on what he got right; he is a person that's used to focusing on what he did wrong, no matter what else he did. Think Dursleys.

18. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Considering he spent three months in prison, he shouldn't be the same idiot he is in canon, period.

19. Klael

If he were to merely suppress his personality and everything that made him Harry, then just start to bring that back up around the DOM, then yeah, he would be very similar to his old self. He'd be angrier, and more than likely those old aspects of his personality would be a little watered down, but essentially, he hasnt changed that much. To be in essential isolation, but to also force your mind into isolation, does not bring about the same aspects of mental growth that are common to teenagers.

Moreover, Harry is a very introverted teenager, and has been known to keep his true feelings inside, even going so far as to cut them off from his own consciousness. The reality of his personality is one that tries to merely blend in; this is a part of him that he hasn't grown out of over four years of being a celebrity in the wizarding world, so I highly doubt that a few months in azkaban, in physical and mental isolation, would inspire massive change on a psychological level.

~DarkSov~

20. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I enjoyed the story. The ending was a bit weak, but it was still a very credible effort at canon Harry ending up in Azkaban and actually coming out without super powers and a vindictive agenda.

Jim