1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

External storage and backup

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

NTFS is Micrososft's New Technology File System (New Technology, or NT being all Microsoft's operating system's since Windows 2000). It's superior to FAT in that it has more metadata support, allows larger files to be saved, has journalling (which makes data corruption a lot less likely in the event of an unexpected shutdown), it performs better and is more secure.

As for setting up RAID on an external, I'm not sure it's possible. I don't think a disk array controller can be used for a USB or firewire drive, and you'd have to have the drive plugged in permanently if it did. If it's security you're after (RAID 1), then you'd be better off using a backup program, like one of these.

2. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

About a year ago I had a basic home network consisting of my computer, my laptop, my roommates computer & laptop, and one media server. Within two weeks I had my computer and server have severe harddrive failures. I took the chance to purchase a bunch of 1 TB black caviar WD sata HDDs. Originally I was going to put them all in individual enclosures, but that's expensive as all hell. It's also expensive to buy a commercial esata array enclosure setup.

In the end I used instructions from a bunch of different websites and built an esata based array consisting of 10 1 TB drives in a raid 1 configuration. I then hooked up the array to a thin client and put it on the network. The problem (as you've probably already thought of) is that the thin client was a severe bottleneck, and I was an idiot to think it could act as a media server. I ended up buying a cheap dual core system, hooked up a geforce 8400 into it, and now use it as a media server.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

With 10 drives wouldn't it be better to use RAID 5 or even 6? Instead of using half the space for redundant storage you'd need 1 orr 2 - increasing your space by 3 or 4 T.