1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite spells/potions in HP fanfics

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Kerrus, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

Sort of a reversal on the 'worst spells' thread, what are either your favourite spells/potions in HP fanfics, or spells that you haven't seen in fanfics that you'd like to?

I'll start out with the most abusable spell ever, and one our DnDers should recognize.

Fingers of the Wind, M'boy, Fingers. Of. The. Wind.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Confringo.

It's canon, but not used enough; it's what reducto aspires to be.

When I play a video game, I want to push a button and have things die. When I read HP fiction, I want stuff to blow up.

[Edit: typo fix].

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  3. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

Felix Felicis because a good-luck potion like that is simply amazing. Highly abusive substance, that would lead any wizard to practically un-foretold ability. Imagine a night in Vegas, lots of luck to go around.

Favorite spell: Legilimens. Occlumency/Legilimency is one of the most rarely touched branches of the HP Fandom, not in depth. We learn that Voldemort would torture his victims with memories of torture over and over, but in fandom he does no such thing. Harry frequently 'learns' Occlumency and Legilimency, but only uses it to discover truths and lies or memories. No aggressive use is frequently done.

4. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    I don't know about potions, but as far as spells go, all the (battle) spells Harry uses in Shezza's Denarian Renegade/Knight are pretty. Effodio's my favourite.

As for canon spells, Fiendfyre is the best. :)

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

The best spell I remember is one that disguises a large storage area as a piece of paper. Think of a seven-lock trunk that looked like a parchment with someone's errand list on it. I thought that was brilliant.

6. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Ascension of the Scorpion Sorcerer has some good spells.
    Fulgratio Albicans, or any other white lighting spell, exception being unless its a Bleach Cross over Byakurai.
    Ensis Exsequens from Negima is one spell I like to use in Harry Potter Fanfics, among others.

7. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Hmm, going the classic route, I would have to say 'imperio' for the sheer potential it has; there's no limit to the twisted possibilities for which it can be used. The same's true of 'legilimens,' I suppose, at least in the manner in which canon Voldemort uses it. With spells that manipulate the mind, any manner of gruesome death, or political plot, or mundane task is possible. Want to clean a cauldren? Forget 'scourgify,' 'imperio' some poor sap and let them do it. Want someone dead? 'Avada Kedavra' is quick and clean, 'imperio' promises all manner of pain without even getting your hands dirty.

Other than that? Any spell with a decent Latin-based name and a large explosion at the end.

8. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I agree with Imperio. There is no spell better than complete control of someone else. Well, that and apparation.

9. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I always liked Sectumsempra. Great slashing curse that can only be reversed if you know the counterspell (song-like spell which Snape uses to heal Draco). Not only that, if you take off someones body part with it (like George's ear in DH), it's not reattachable.

I just like it because it has great potential for bodily harm. Harry slicing Draco the fuck up with Sectumsempra is probably the best part/scene of HBP. I was like fuck yeah! until it showed that Harry was horrified of what he had done. If I was Harry I would have been like 'what now bitch! can't crucio me now cuz I just cut you the fuck up' while watching Draco bleed to death on the bathroom floor. Actually, I think Draco should have died in that scene in HBP. That could have radically changed everything. You could write a divergence fic where Harry kills Draco and then has to go on the run, with Harry becoming more intelligent and powerful as he struggles to evade the Death Eaters and Ministry while trying to find and destroy Voldemort's horcruxes. Could make for an awesome independent/dark!Harry fic that follows canon's plot.

Another canon curse I like is the purple flame curse Dolohov got Hermione with in the DOM. I've read in quite a few fanfics where it's called the Rupturing curse, which fucks up your innards if you get hit with it. It seems that Hermione got lucky in that her silencing spell reduced its power a little bit which prevented her from dying. Another great spell that causes nasty bodily harm.

So I guess in summary, I'm all for (dark)curses that completely fucks someone over if hit with it.

10. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Brain anneursym curse say hello to killing all your muggle enemies and it looks natural to muggle MEs.

11. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Strengthening Solutions are never fully described in canon, but they sound like they'd be potions to increase your physical strength without 'roid rage. This would explain why aurors don't need to work out. They just throw back a couple of Strengthening Solutions at the beginning of their training, and wham! This means anyone with at least a fifth-year's grasp of potion-brewing has no need for the cliche physical conditioning.

My favorite spell is the memory charm. If you whack someone on the head in their sleep and obliviate them of the previous night, you can make them think they were drunk, and thus never question the lack of memories. Also, it can be used to obtain infinite money, like the following exchange:

"Hey, boss, I need my paycheck."

"Here you go."

Thank you, sir. Obliviate! Hey, boss, I need my paycheck."

12. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

or confundus charm, get a bonus.

13. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Draught of Living Death.

Could make a wonderful magical grenade. Throw in a timed-expire Stasis spell on a reacting Draught, boom.

I always found the lack of innovation among wizard's a major annoyance.

They see a group of DE's, what do they do? Call the Auror's.

What should they do? Lob a DLD Grenade into the middle of them and watch their innards paint the area.

Duh.

Even Snape didn't think of this. Potions Master, my ass! :D

As for spell...Reducto or a Stasis Spell.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  14. malaga

malaga Auror

Ha, The Power The Dark Lord Knows Not?

Neville, with full access to a cauldron. Destroy all the DEs with ease.

I'm a fan of obliviate too. I mean, if it can make Lockhart into a hero, think about the possibilities for someone with a modicum of intelligence and magical talent!

15. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Aerin, Aerin, Aerin, Reducto is for non talented hacks go read the Fanfictions most terrible spells thread.

16. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Perhaps Hell, but you still gotta love the sheer potential gore factor.

And failing Reducto...it'd prolly have to be a spell of my own creation.

It saps the velocity from an incoming object, thus rendering them useless. Only works for physical objects and can't defend against spells...but useful :D

Incantation is Volatus Navitas Redigo

Incendio is good. Very good, actually. Combine with an oil conjuration spell and...*Sadistic grin*

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I'm pretty sure Reducto in canon doesn't explode body parts in a shower of gore. I mean, if it did it definitely wouldn't be standard 4th year material. You could Reducto the ground or something in the surroundings, and it would work like a shrapnel grenade, but it's just plain classless to use Reducto as a spell which when hits a body part, explodes it in gory fashion which is, what I would estimate, over a thousand fanfics have done. I like how ip82 integrates it into his Potter's Resistance fic.

18. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

You wanna play; again I bring up
    </H3>

19. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

My favourite Potions aren't actually posted anywhere yet, as their featuring in my own fic that i'm gonna post sooner or later.

There's the Draught of Corrosion, which corrodes most metals and non-metals. Then there's my own take on the Strengthening Potion, which is the opposite of the Corrosion Draught.

My favourite spell has to be Sectumsempra, as it can slice through things with ease- if Harry knew that in the Third Challenge, life would have been easier for him.

20. Helius

Helius Third Year

I imagine Reducto as more of a bludgeoning spell. Following the idea, if a Reducto hits a human, it would break bones and damage flesh, rather than causing limbs to explode in showers of gore. Conversely, if it hits an object or the ground, it would still have the same effect as Reducto does in Canon.

My favorite potion would be Felix Felicis, simply because of its versatility. There's nothing better than incredibly good luck when you need it.

My favorite spell is Imperio. It's a easy way of getting things done without getting your hands dirty. It would be a potent combination if used with the Felix Felicis: Imagine everything going exactly to plan.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008