1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Bump.

Gave the story a read. A solid 5 from me.
    It is awesome because it proves that a good Indy!Harry doesn't have to be and/or act all Slytherin. Plus, it keeps everything as canon as possible, as the books have given them. Not the timeline, but fcts and info. This may not be a good thing in some cases, but it makes the story all the more believable. I found myself very disappointed when I reached the last chapter. Hope it updates sometime.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

And I found myself very fucking disappointed that my hopes of an update to this story were met with nothing more than your bland review. Yes, I know it's technically valid and not a necro and I'm only adding to it by posting my non-related reply, but goddammit, I felt a thrill of anticipation at the thread being updated, and having it dashed just fucking irritated the hell out of me.

/pointless and whiny rant

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Updated.

I'm a little vague on some of the finer detail - actually, quite a lot of it, I really need to reread this story some time - but the writing is as good as ever, and there's some promising developments.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy fuck, an update! Going to wank - uh, read!

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that's pretty cool timing. Forging the Sword has been mentioned half a dozen times this last week or two with people crying over its apparent abandonment.

6. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read the chapter, the world-building is still very good. However, there's something wrong with the dialogue. I can't put my finger on it, but it just sounds... off.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I find the dialogue - sometimes the narration as well, actually - can be a bit Buffy Speak, but that's no bad thing for me. Possibly not quite accurate for 12/13 year olds in early 90's Britain though *shrugs*

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellent chapter, but if the next one takes more than a year I'll be ARGHRAGE.

9. Hymn of Ragnarok

Hymn of Ragnarok Squib

...Well now I'm hooked. Again. On one hand this was a very enjoyable update. On the other hand it has left me wanting more.

10. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Well I'll be damned, this was a pleasant surprise to come home to.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I really like this story. I had forgotten all about it until it was updated, at which point I re-read the entire thing. Time well spent.

It really struck me this time how well the author does at introducing weaknesses to the various skills. In short, there are no shortcuts. Not really. Veritaserum makes people tell the truth as they believe it. Unbreakable Vows tie up some of your magic. Time-turners have more specific restrictions, but they don't hinder the overall purpose. Professors are mostly good people but with significant flaws in places. So forth. So on.

That's not to say it's perfect. Some of the interactions are hard to swallow, but on the whole I like how their friendship is working out. I'm a bit sorry that there's no mention of how they avoid having their time-turner use noticed, given how much/often they've been using it, but I'm also glad that too much time wasn't spent on it. They are getting stronger/more powerful in a believable way, but we haven't seen much of that in action yet (no fights apart from the physical brawl on the train early on). That's OK though because the plot is pretty danged good, though if this is third year... what happened to change the whole Dementor/Azkaban plot to the point it doesn't exist?

I'm glad it's not rehashing canon though, that's for sure.

Still a solid 5/5 from me.

Though I was amused that the latest chapter commented on the apparent rarity of Occlumency books (at Hogwarts at least, though not elsewhere).

12. Tharkun

Tharkun Second Year

From the author note to chapter 7:

13. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

IIRC, someone did notice, I think it's an OC - a Slytherin prefect named Greengrass.
    Also, keep in mind that they spent a lot of their time at a specific meeting place, away from the other students.

14. Animagiman

Animagiman Squib

My money is on Theodore Nott.

From Chapter 8 where they are discussing the various magical artifacts to enhance the mind: "Byrnjar Nótt was gifted in tribute an armband that would help him keep a clear mind."

We already know the mysterious observer is a Slytherin and has an armband that heats up every time the time-turner is used. This seems to fit the bill pretty well.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I know someone noticed -- but I meant more the people who are supposed to be noticing, like McGonagall and Dumbledore.

That said I thought it was obvious that it was a descendant of the Rosier line.

I believe this is the passage you are referring to:
    But earlier when Hermione was reporting her results about artifacts that they could use to improve themselves, we have:
    In hindsight I can see that they may not be one and the same. But when I read it the first time all I remembered was "Rosier" and "Ring" and assumed that it was a young Rosier at Hogwarts with the artifact. I could see it being a band instead of a ring that, during some transcription, became a ring in text.

But it's iffy.

16. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

The mysterious slytherin clearly refers to his family treasure as 'commissioned by a viking ancestor for raids on the druids shore that he later settled on', so its pretty sure that Byrnjar Nótt was this particular viking and Theodore is the mystery slytherin.

17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gave this a quick reread tonight. Was decent. The latest chapter was ok. Not much given the wait, but ok. Hopefully more frequent updates will occur.

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I'll probably won't say anything new with this, but it's a refreshing story, without bringing out any "inner slytherin" and giving Harry proper motivations with good reasons.

Also, It's kind of what I would expect from Harry if Ginny died on him in the chamber. Butterflies in motion.

The search for the diadem, especially the last chapter was surprisingly fun for me to read.
    When they ran into the wall, I was almost cheering. It's a perfect example of executing a situation where we know what is happening and the characters do not. The longer they ponder the problem, the better it will be. (Of course, everything is good with moderation...)

All in all a 4.74 (the rating as of this second) is very accurate.

That is all for today.

Nauro.

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I have missed this story. This was a great update, what with the coming so close to the Room of Requirement. I can only hope that the next update will be swift.

20. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

One and a half years later...

It has been updated!
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3557725/11/Forging-the-Sword

I thought it was decent. Excellent writing as always, but it definitely feels like it's necessary filler. Based off his notes, he split this chapter into two (or three) parts, meaning all the exciting stuff we are waiting for wasn't introduced. (Durmstrang!!!)

But if he split this chapter into two... It should mean the next chapter is mostly done... Right?

right?