1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, right. At the rate we're going, we're looking at two years till the next chapter.

I'm going to have so much fun waiting.

2. TSN

TSN Auror

well when old fic like these update, its always fun to reread them especiallyw hen they are good like this one.

3. Inoeth666

Inoeth666 First Year

Absolutely. I remember first finding and reading this a few years ago and this wait.. bah, I had mostly forgotten about this fic, but wow is it a fun read.

I agree that this chapter did feel a little filler-ish, but it really helped to flesh out the details that much more, not to mention some serous character development. I do hope part 2 of this update is sooner than later, but we'll just have to wait and see (And hope it's not 2 years).

4. rajvir

rajvir Third Year

What can you do still even with it feeling fillerish I am glad it is updating though I doubt he will update this story normally I think after this a sequel will happen though I could be wrong.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story is high enough quality to make a third reread worth it.

However, with this update rate she seriously needs to stop adding new subplots. Every chapter so far adds a new plan to the trio's ever growing list of things they want to get done, and none of them have been resolved. Often they're introduced as the focus of one chapter and never mentioned again (e.g. occlumency).

That would be fine if she was pumping out words such that long term plots get resolved. But she needs to be realistic: given her update rate, she needs to be looking at ways to simplify the story so that she can get more done in fewer words.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Hmm I disagree with Taure, hopefully the newer subplots will hold her interest enough to motivate her to squeeze out the next chapters quickly.

It like returning to something fresh rather completing something you view as an unexciting chore. Either way it was fun re-reading this story. It really is commendable that something this old has really passed the test of time.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Even though it's quite old, I've enjoyed my re-read of it as well as the new chapter. Hopefully we'll get something soon!

8. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Was the last post before the hiatus.

The segue from the first scene to the second was painful.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

fuck yeah, you guys.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3557725/12/Forging-the-Sword

an edit with some stream-of-consciousness thoughts: Well written, ,as always. I enjoy reading about Aesalon's classes. He encourages socratic debate until the debate turns to ad-hominem, which is something I wholeheartedly agree with. It makes me wish we saw more of the lessons beyond Dementors, something like manticores, quintapeds, or lethifolds: something that we know nothing of beyond the snippets in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Harry having to make contact with Dobby through Hedwig is a refreshing divergence from him merely thinking, 'Dobby' and having the elf appear.

The sheer desperation Hermione felt, thinking they were so clever by finding Ravenclaw's diadem, only to see that Lord Voldemort found and used it first, was well done. Just another snippet into the character of what they truly face.

The snippet that showed how Harry excelled during his exams was well done as well, and a minor paragraph similar to what we got in this tale would have been perfect in canon book 6 to show how Harry has improved/become competent at magic.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  10. Inoeth666

Inoeth666 First Year

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hot damn! *goes to read*

12. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I generally like this story but I feel like the last couple of chapters have been kind of a disappointment, especially when the first half of the story has been so strong. I think my major issue may be that quite a lot of the last few chapters have been heavy on the world building and character introspection, but light on the plot development, with the notable exception of finding the Diadem. Take the Gryffindor-Slytherin game; most of it is just Hermione espousing her views about the silliness of Quidditch but at the same time we don't learn what actually happens in the game.

I think that with the Quidditch World Cup coming in the next chapter that could very well change, but right now I feel less excited about the story that when I first read it a couple of months ago. I also worry that the "Let's find out who Sirius Black is" plot may get mishandled (especially if Harry, Ron, and/or Hermione decide that without a trial Sirius must be innocent. I've seen that show up repeatedly in other fics and I'd be disappointed if it happened here).

On the other hand I really like that the author has very specifically kept away from just rehashing POA and has done so in a logical way. I also like the little argument after they find the Diadem, which was certainly the high point of the last few chapters. It really showed the different personalties between the three characters and how Ginny's death has specifically affected how they approach dangerous situations. And I'm very keen to find out how the next couple chapters deal with the Quidditch World Cup and Moody — under the logic that without Pettigrew escaping at the end of POA, Crouch Jr. would still be under the imperius, and the plot of GOF would not be possible.

For the moment I'd give it a strong 4/5.

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, I've yet to read the chapter, but I feel the need to state why. This is one of those stories, where updates are very sporadic, and because of that, I only vaguely remember what's been going on. None of it's fresh, it's just fuzzily there, in the back of my head, so that when it updates, I have to go back and read it all over to refresh my memory.

Which is part of why I haven't read the chapter yet, actually.

Not that it's much of a bother, as it's a very good read, and the fact that I've been able to reread it as much as I have speaks wonders. But the fact is, the update rate makes forgetting parts very easy, and it detracts from it overall.

I'll edit this post after I've read the chapter, later today.

EDIT: Well, finally got to the chapter. I have to agree with above points from Monkey. Another well done chapter. Struck me as a bit of tying up the loose ends for this Arc/year, which of course, makes sense. So really, not too much plot progression, but the foundation seems to be getting built well enough.

Also, Redlibertyx, that's assuming Moody is the DADA professor next year. Aesalon hinted pretty heavily that either someone high up has taken an interest in Harry. My guess is either the Aurors or possibly the Unspeakables. And really, there's no reason someone else won't be sent next year.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Ah, so Sirius was finally introduced to the plot. I wonder if he will be more unstable due to the additional year in Azkaban.

In any case, I've been following this story for quite a while and I'm happy to see another update.
    5/5

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Dammit, now I have to reread the whole thing. Eh, at least it's one of the stories that I remember liking.

16. Corsair

Corsair First Year

I'm more interested in ghost angle. Sirius I know, Bloody Baron I do not. I would very much like to see development where Harry finds Baron and Grey Lady identity, and consults them about cleaning the diadem.

Since diadem was important to them on personal level, tainting it could be simply unacceptable for them. For Helena it is legacy despoiled. For Baron it is sin against person he loved and murdered.

Neither would by eager to simply go to headmaster with it. It would be something personal, something that means much to them. For Helena, redemption. For Baron, a way to help, to ease his guilt and remorse.

And then... well, knowledge about times long gone, would make everything much more interesting. It would be valid way to give trio access to interesting locations.

Plus, if they succeeded, diadem would help trio to speed up learning. They are years and decades behind their opponents when it comes to magic. Breaching, or even decreasing this gap should be impossible for kids still in early teen years. Diadem would make it a bit more realistic. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  17. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

The latest chapter was great. I'm not sure what he is gonna do with 4th year. The main highlight of GOF was Harry being in the tournament and the tasks. With no Pettigrew running off to Voldemort the whole plot line is gone.

18. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I don't know. If they actually do get increased intelligence out of the Diadem I'd kind of feel cheated. Better that they end up destroying it after a frustrating search — especially if someone gets possessed by the damn thing and Harry has to make the same sadistic choice as in the first chapter.

I'm operating under the assumption that while Lupin being hired the year Black escaped wasn't a coincidence, no such triggering event was required to hire Moody. It's possible that Pettigrew escaping to Voldemort and Trelawney's "servant" prophecy force Dumbledore's hand but I don't find that terribly convincing. It's also possible that Dumbledore finds another professor due to the larger candidate pool that was discussed some chapters earlier. I think that with the relatively calm year, Harry Potter-related enthusiasm will have died down though (Not to mention any population with Moody in the mix is still going to end up with Moody as the professor thanks to his history with Dumbledore. It's actually kind of a plot hole that Moody didn't apply in this timeline's third year now that I think about it).

19. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Moody was brought in because of what happened in the end of POA. Dumbledore anticipated Voldemort would return soon and he brought in Moody to prepare them for war. Remember the escaping the Imperius training. With none of that happening I don't see why he would bring in Moody.

20. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Because nobody else wants the DADA job anyways. Thats why Umbridge got the job iirc. Also Alexx your sig is too big again :/