1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Power of Time by RossWrock - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ringmaster, May 22, 2006.

1. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I'll be upfront. I used to LOVE this story. It was the first indie story I read, so it has sentimental value to me. That said, it sucks, the characterization is weak, and Ross is a douche with his infinite excuses. Plus he smells like cabbage and fried tomatos. And I HATE fried tomatoes URGH!! :X (this should be an angry face, but I'm too lazy to look for the proper emoticon.)

Give me a good LT2000 update on Happy Red PRince (hint ;) ) Over anything this guy's got ANY day.

P.S. How do I join Midknight's family? I know I've been absent like for a while (and probably will be until August) but what can I do? Lastly, HOT SAUCE!!! :D :D :D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    User CP>Group Memberships> Then from there you click the name, say Join group, and give a reason.

3. DoWnEr

DoWnEr Second Year

HP and the Power of Time updated?

not sure where to post this. So i'll post it here and hope i don't get in trouble.

From a post i made in another forum:

Am i dreaming?

Is this really updated?

I haven't read this in so long i forgot where the damn story left off.

HP and the Power of Time by Rosswrock

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1657629/29/

Is this a real update?

o.0

4. carl

carl Seventh Year

Sigh, i'll have to read from the start as I have forgotten what this story is about.

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I think it shows how much my tastes hae changed but I couldn't even get 1/4 of the way through the chapter. The people are horribaly written. I'm sure he has spent the last 2 yers readung ever indy fic out there and now is just spitting them back out.

Harry is just a puss. His internal monolog is almost painful to read.

Voldemort is just a carbon copy of every other badly written Voldemort out there.

We would all be better off if this had just been left to die.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

It is dead.

It's a zombie! Shoot it in the head!

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I wonder if ff.net has rules on necro-posting.

Probably not.

I just read the chapter (without having read the previous 28 in years) and it still flowed just fine. There were still a few typos and errors. And a few JKR-worthy moments of Harry/Ginny at a dance. ...Harry didn’t know if it was the sudden spin, or finding Ginny looking drop-dead gorgeous in a rich green strapless dress, but suddenly he was feeling a little light headed. ... “Ginny, you look beautiful.” It was because it was so unplanned; so sincere; so utterly Harry, that Ginny had to choke back a gasp as she thanked him. She’d be waiting years for him to say that. ... To be honest, anything about Ginny being described as "rich" made me chuckle.

You don't *need* to re-read the entire story to get caught up. Generally, remembering any formulaic Independent!Harry fic will give you enough of the basics: Harry's been training, has a time turner, has the uber-trunk, has Dobby's help, super special shield spell watch, emergency portkey, a secret prison of Death Eaters, distanced but not really from Ron and Hermione, Hermione's all about the learning and Ravenclaws, Ron's all about the jealousy and 'surprising' moments of maturity, Voldemort is Voldie, blah blah blah. There. You're just about all caught up now.

Now here's the problem I'm sure many people will have and will drive into the ground: three years ago when this story was updated semi-regularly, this was fantastic stuff. But now, dozens of ripoffs and clones of this fic have been written and finished and taken their own twists and changes on fic ideas and plot bunnies. And now, new updates to this fic are simply far less interesting. This isn't relatively virgin territory anymore. This is a tired old cliched plotline and seeing where it's going is not even half as interesting as it used to be.

There are way too many subplots hanging unresolved and the idea that this fic is the first in a trilogy just kills 90% of the interest in looking forward to more. Off the top of my head, I'm remembering dozens of freed souls still just idling in the Shrieking Shack from killed dementors. Not to mention Harry's magical tattoos, of which there's a lily and Padfoot still with purpose. Prongs was what supered the patronus. I'd imagine Padfoot's going to finally help with the 'animagus' training that was put off to the second story in the trilogy. And then it seems likely that Lily and some sort of Power of Love, mother's sacrifice magic will feature in the third. Or not.

Either way, looking at Independent!Harry fics that are current WIPs, in my opinion this is still slightly better than average (even in spite of the wretched Ginny parts). But it's just one fic in a crowded field that no longer stands out.

8. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I'm probably going to clash with some of the more hardened regulars when I say this, but I am still a little excited by this fic.

Sure, I think everyone at one point figured out that the power of love and Lily's final stand would eminate from that little flower on his butt crack... sure, the once inivative use of the trunk has been so over used and battered that to this day the phrase magical trunk immediatley black lists a story into the nether regions of shit fics, to stand beside slash and mpreg.

But still I liked this story and to me, if a reader overlooked the unbelieveably long absesnce and its sudden ressurection from the dead, they could enjoy this story.

It's like a milder version of Awakening power. A fic, though pro ginny, still is by far, one of the best reads I've ever experienced.

Do I expect another near infinite wait, if he even posts another chapter at all...

Of course, but still, I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Although I'd rather read another installment of Sheeza's stargate fic or TheJackOfDiamond's Hero's Path.

Whatever happened to those?

9. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

Read the update it's good but it has been done enough times. This fic was amazing when it was updated regularly because it was orginal but now it's just cliche.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I just couldnt do it after the Voldemort scene. I agree with those that said it was good 3 years ago. But now it is just ordinary.

11. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

I completely disagree with the recent criticism. I just read the chapter. And the difference between Rosswrock's quality of writing and nearly everyone else's is astounding. The characterization of Ron is superb. Harry's character has developed very well - he sounds like an experienced, mature adult. And Rosswrock has moments when he gives devastatingly accurate assessments of what's currently happening in the story through the words of Harry Potter.

Compare Rosswrock's writing with, say, Bobmin's. It's no contest. I think that it's not his ideas that made his story famous. It's that he's just a great writer.

Moreover, Rosswrock gives a unique twist to the cliche he invented (surprising, that). One thing is that his Harry recognizes his limits on his powers - Rosswrock's Harry probably couldn't win a one-on-one duel with an Inner Circle member, and Harry knows this well. Another fact is that his Harry mostly uses his cunning to capture Death Eaters instead of sheer force.

Strangely enough, for an independent!Harry story, Rosswrock's writing subject is very traditional in Harry Potter fandom. He's still writing about daily life in Hogwarts, something that is out-of-fashion these days. I can't really name an author who's doing that nowadays.

Besides, for those people complaining about cliches, he's barely touched them in this chapter.

My rating: 4.75/5

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  12. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Barely touched them? Barely? Where have you been?

I have nothing against this story. I enjoyed it when it came out and I still do to some degree. But obviously, I've encountered other stories that are much better - better plots, better characters, and better writing overall. I agree with nonjon and the others that have stated before him - this story is average at best.

13. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

When this story went on Hiatus, it was one of my better-liked story. It wasn't particularly special, but it was interesting, and long. Now, after...how many years? A few. The story and the writing haven't changed. It hasn't gotten any better. I can't read it any more. My standards are higher, and the super-OMFG!!!11TimeTurner-FCUKYOUWORLD!-Harry just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

So, Thank you, RossWrock, for being there in the beginning when I was just getting into HP fanfiction, but now, I bid you good day.

14. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Soooo....
    You sound just like cliche backstabbing Ron.
    Rosswrock was there when you needed good fanfic but suddenly, when there are millions of other rosswrocks floating around...he is useless to you?

*sounds about right*
    *nod*

Oh....yeah....rosswrock; I bid you good day.

:p

Eh, I was not even into fanfic before July of 2006.
    So in true DLP'ism, since I am a noob...just ignore my post dammit.

15. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Well, yeah, that's pretty much it. I was trying to say that I appreciated his writing when my standards didn't call for original plotlines and witty banter; given, what he wrote back in the day was what was considered that, but by today's standards, it doesn't reach the appex as it had when the story was one of the best on ff.net. Now, it's just another super!harry without anything else going for it.

16. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well ... there is not much else to add to the comments above. I once liked it, etc. but now I didn't even notice the update and didn't bother to look into this thread when it was suddenly bumped.

I don't care for the story (anymore) nor for the author. It just doesn't interest me any longer, as there are too many other and quite a few better stories. And I even prefer less good fics if they are regularly updated. Nevertheless I had a look into the chapter and there had been two moments I really laughed, as I sometimes do with some uber-clichéd s...tuff out there.

The Ginny-scene is too fangirlish to keep a straight face. And the second time I laughed was when Rosswrock announced he would update within some weeks or months. The guy certainly lives in denial.

Ah ... and then the clichés:
    Harry stunning fifteen Death Eaters in one go just by pressing a button on his motorcycle is just ridiculous. Scenes like that are as stereotype as the uber-trunk. It doesn't matter wether Harry has superpowers himself or uses a superpowered gadget - it still is an unbelievable superpower!Harry.

Rosswrock isn't just one of the first indy!Harry authors, he is also the archetype to ignore feasible boundaries of magic. He doesn't exaggerate as much as many other ff.nutters, but his story has encouraged other authors to drop even the last barriers. Rosswrock suggests with magic almost everything is possible and his descendants are nowadays just scratching out "almost".

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..............Why use super powers when you can just throw a grenade?

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I noticed that this is the fic that sparked an outbreak of similar fanfics, most of lesser quality.

Is this what usually happens to original stories? They become cliches and pale in comparison to newer fics that follow the same plotpoints?

19. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

No, no...this is not an original fic. It's a compilation of idea from a plethora of other fics that preceded it, and it brought some of those idea up into the spotlight, (hence got credited for them).

20. Zereebro

Zereebro Squib

Sorry for the necro, but i thought that maybe some of you would like to know that Rosswrock has updated his ff.net profile. Even if it is just to tell us that PoT has been put on hiatus.

"UPDATE: December 20, 2009
    Story is on hiatus until I have time. Sorry folks :( At one time it was complete, but the more I worked on my sequel, the more I had to go back and change how PoT ended. I'm due to move in March, so let's see how much free time I have after that.
    Ross"

Directly from his profile.