1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Harry Potter Mercenary by DobbyElfLord, M, One Shot, HP/DG

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Bratling, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Not too bad. Could be worse.4/5 worth. Will give it 5 for being done... even though its a one-y.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Everytime I think you're saying a lot about something, I realize it's mostly your sig >_>

3. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

It was an alright fic, had a couple angsty moments, but then again, good 15 minute killer. 4/5

4. DobbyElfLord

DobbyElfLord Muggle

I want to thank everyone for their comments, both good and bad. I find them helpful. If you want bad writing, go back and read the first story I started posting.

I wanted to write an Azkaban fic but the whole concept is a complete cliche. Starting with the standard cliche and moving it to my own place was a lot of fun.

It is amusing in the reviews how serious we take our favorite characters. The Hermione lovers or haters were all over the H/P pairing. Others loved the fact Ron wasn't the cliche ass in this one.

The next chapter of Destinies should be up by next Wednesday, but work has been slowing down my writing time.

Thanks,
    DEL

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

DobbyElfLord! your back! we thought we had scared you off.

Now go and get writing.

6. dragon_89

dragon_89 Squib

Just read the story - I like it :awesome

however, there are some minor spelling mistakes..... :banana:

I'm :whipped:

7. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to

(Tosses a rape kit courtesy of Sarah Palin to Dragon 89, That will be 50 dollars.)

8. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Yes.

[23:46] <Mindless> ..
    [23:46] <Mindless> Why does this person even post?
    [23:47] <Mindless> He managed to use a smiley in every single line.
    [23:47] <Mindless> Which I just don't approve of.

9. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Maybe because of the reminder to post, maybe just cause he's an asshole, I reiterate this was pretty decent up until the end.

10. failinggradstudent

failinggradstudent Squib

I agree I think its a good story, though spelling needs more work. But the author wrote Altered Destiny, possibly one of the best time travels out there so I I had to give him some leeway. Also its different from the family friendly genre he coughs up.

4/5

1 for writting Balancing destiny, 3 for the fic. Yeah paper thin characters are on here, no way to go around that.

11. Lophaetus Occipitalis

Lophaetus Occipitalis First Year

It was pretty good so far as Azkaban fics go. I had found, like those posting before me, the spelling errors annoying. However, once you look past it you have a decent fic. It was a(an?) oneshot so it's not like you had a lot of room for character developement. However I do enjoy having a clear understanding of why a person acts a certain way, for I sometimes like to speculate on what a character will do in the next chapter based on what happened in the previous.

I still am going to give a 4/5 for spelling and character developement.

12. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

pretty nice little one shot. not bad at all

not bad at all. pretty good story. thnx for recommendation

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Put more effort into your posts.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I don't know, even if it was a oneshot, it felt like a complete story. Had a start, middle, and end. At least I didn't have to wait half a year for chapter 2 like i do for half the fics i have my alerts, hate it when they make a good fic and keep you waiting until there is not hope left, now thats just cruel!

15. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A sequel has been posted.

Incredibly entertaining read for me. Good use of levity by Harry as the primary narrator, excellent characterization and more than enough neat twists that kept my interest. I'm giving it a 5/5.

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... there's no Daphne in it :|

Hmpf. I'll read that later >_>

17. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Just reading the sequel. Full of win. One complaint.
    He and Daphne break up. :(
    4/5.

EDIT: Ok, but
    gets together with Gabrielle at the end. And she should be someone even Lily approves of
    With that in mind, 5/5.

EDIT2: Btw, a Korean hitwizard? Am I the only one who was reminded of Bungle there?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  18. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

When I read the first one, I was disappointed that it wasn't Schlock Mercenary cross, but it was an enjoyable little piece in and of itself. I would have rated it a 3/5.

The sequel is an improvement, for the most part. The author has fixed a lot of the errors in the first story, filled in some of the blanks, and managed to keep what the original had going for it. I actually didn't mind Hermione as neo-Umbridge and Weatherby as neo-Fudge. Hermione's motives made sense, as did Percy. I like the numerous references to jbern's work. However, this portrayal of Dumbledore sucked, like a wrinkly, pox-ridden, transsexual hooker strung out on ecstasy. Nearly every piece of cliched fanon fail I've had the misfortune stumble across has been crammed into this story's Dumbledore. Also, I found the big reveal scene utterly puerile, particularly in how Dumbles handled it. That scene was pure and utter whoreshit.

That said, overall, I rate the sequel 3.5/5
    Not including the Fail!Dumbles, the piece is quite solid. Good rainy day reading.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Story was pretty cool. If not for a couple cliche moment and some (quite often) grammatical and otherwise vocabulary mistakes that were present in both stories, that would be 5/5 material. As it were, I give this a 4.
    I feel the need to point it out again, this story had some horrible moments of word butchering. I still vividly remember the Nurmburg from the sequel, which I assume was Nurmengard. And there was another that made me want to claw my eyes out, but I can't remember it :/

EDIT: Did someone make a thread for the sequel?

20. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Ahem... Nuremberg is a German city. South of the country. (In)Famous for the Nuremberg Laws passed by the Nazis back in 1933, and for the fact that it was the city of Nazis. Pictures of Nazi Nuremberg Rallies are pretty easily found on Google. The author wrote Nuremburg in the subtitle, and Nurmburg in the story. While that typo irritates me, I'm able to let it pass. Anyway, no Nurmengard there.