1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help me decide what to write.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Anarchy, Nov 16, 2015.

?

What story should I write?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2015.
  1. Founders Era. Harry/Rowena

31 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Harry/Fleur story (sequel to Euphoria)

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Harry/Luna 6th year

15 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. HP/Firefly crossover

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. DF - Denarian!Dresden

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. HP/MTG

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Worm

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. ASOIAF - Sword of the Morning!JonSnow

21 vote(s)
    16.3%
  9. Obligatory HP/DG idea

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Gritty vampire!Harry

30 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's been nearly a month since I finished my last fic, and while I've enjoyed not having the stress of daily updatesm I've grown bored. I've been struggling with deciding what to write. I've been wavering with 100 different ideas, some better than others, but all are fleeting. I'm not sure how to add a poll, but I'll try.

1) Founders era fic, with eventual Harry/Rowena Ravenclaw. My previous attempt at this sucks, but I've grown as a writer in the 6 years since I last posted it. I've got a rough outline in what I want to accomplish, including the old world of apprentice/master system repelling the new world order of free information (Hogwarts). Plus, viking invasions, because why not?

2) Sequel to my Harry/Fleur fic. This will get written eventually. I've got the summer after 4th year planned out, but I don't really want to start writing it yet.

3) A Harry/Luna fic. I've always wanted to do one, but have been reticent because Luna is so hard to write. Would probably diverge at the Slughorn Christmas party.

4) An HP/Firefly crossover fic. I've had several ideas, but they all sort of fizzle out. I've actually gotten quite far in a few, but trying to do something that's new and not trodding on Browncoat, Green eye's coattails is kind of hard. My current idea takes place pre-movie.

5) Pure Dresden Files, a continuation of this. I actually eddited the first chapter recently, and had some ideas one where I wanted the story to go. Could use some work, of course. Denarian!Dresden. He accepts Nic's offer in book 5, because it is the lesser of the evils.

6) HP/MTG crossover. Would inevitably involve Chandra in some way, because Reasons. Might continue one of my previous efforts, or start something new. I'm kind of cold on the idea of Harry becoming a planeswalker himself, but I do like the idea of him joining the fight against a Big Bad.

7) Something with Worm. Huge universe, which is sort of daunting, but I loved the series. My idea would probably involve Taylor making her own way after Bitch sets her dogs on her when she goes to join the Undersiders. She'd still eventually become a villain, or at best a rogue. None of that wards nonsense.

8) ASOIAF/GoT I've been tinkering with the idea that Jon Snow is actually Ned's and Ashara Dayne's son. Upon learning this, Jon wants to become a Knight, and more than that, the Sword of the Morning, which won't be easy for a bastard. I actually wrote enough of a story up through Jon getting Knighted by King Robert by winning a squires Melee (I had Jon go south with them to squire when Ned becomes Hand, rather than take the black).

9) An obligatory Harry/Daphne fic. I've got hundreds of ideas.

10) A vampire!Harry fic. I've tried this a few times in the past, but it's been like 4 years since the last one. The idea is to make it dark, grim, and in the vein of Nosferatu or WoD, rather than sparky vampire bullshit. No blood substitutes, no gimmicks to make it easier to be a vampire, just a lingering and consuming thirst for blood. Snape won't be a half-vampire (whatever that is). In fact, I'll kill Snape off early on.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

... Anarchy from DLP and LordAnarchy666 is the same person? I feel very stupid right now.

Right. I will be honest.

1) Your original fic is one of the first fics I've read (in fanfiction and in english), so I am inclined towards it. I would like to read better version sometime.

2) I would like to see that too. Euphoria ended rather abruptly, imo.

3) I would probably read it. Maybe. I don't like Luna all that much.

4,5,6,7,8) I don't know these fandoms.

9) You already have one. Second one would be nice, but I would go for something more fresh.

10) While I like vampires in WoD, I don't think cross with HP would be all that interesting.

All in all, I like first two the most. Second place goes to number nine. Then Three and ten. The rest is at the bottom.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You'd have to really, really work a lot on the world-building.

I presume you'd go for more oWoD rather nWoD and thus heavy on the metaplot?

Oh and you'd have to work your ass off on meshing together the world of HP with that brand of vampirism.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I voted for the Founders Era fic, but that was before I read the OP where you give more details of each.

After reading them, I'd actually rather see you write the ASOIAF Jon fic. Sounds very, very promising. Anything that's focused on Jon and isn't R+L=J gets an okay from me, and your premise is actually very interesting.

5. Anarchy

The vampire Harry story won't be a crossover. It's more about the feel of the world, the reality that is vampirism, rather than the actual mechanics. There's just too many vampire!Harry stories on FFN that fall into angsty, woe-is-me stories, where his friends try to help him by feeding him pigs blood or some shit, anything but actual humans. Or dumb gimmicks like a Plot Device that controls his appearance (fangs, pale skin), or lets him go out in the sun light.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like your asoiaf premise so though its a hard choice, I have to go with that.

Do eet.

7. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The Vampire idea seems interesting. I've yet to see a good Vampire Harry story, and really want one. The other ideas don't really interest me, though Daphne is a guilty pleasure, so I'd be happy if you shared your ideas concerning her.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Pure DF fic! Or the WoD thing. :)

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's between the fourders era and vampire fic for me, both have been done a million times on ffn, but neither to any real quality. I voted for the Vampire fic in the end, who doesn't love a nice gritty story? I would hope the vampire fic shows a whole different side of the Harry Potter world, and we really need a good gritty story and a story that isn't focused around Hogwarts.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Vampire fic sounds the best.

11. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

The only readable Vampire!Harry fic I've read was Harbinger of Blood (well, I loved it when I read it, at least) so yeah. Not-sparkling Vampire Harry.

12. Anarchy

Funny you say that, since that is my story. There's a lot of flaws with it, but I think some of the principles behind it are sound at least. I think I can do better than that.

13. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

I know it's your story. That's why I trust you to do good job of it.

14. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

Vampire > Luna > Daphne
    1. I remember the name of Harbinger, but can't remember the plot, only a vague idea of 'it was kinda ok'. I Might want to reread it.
    2. The Luna story would probably improve your character writing skills.
    3. DG/HP fanboy.
    4. I haven't found the time to read euphoria yet, though its on my list.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I want a Founders fic so bad. And I’ve always been interested on Rowena and her family.

16. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I really want the Dresden Files fic. I've contemplated using that exact point of divergence before, but didn't want to do a book rewrite, and I'm not sure what the Harry/Lasciel team would do, what her goals were. I've always thought of her as one that would eliminate other Denarians if she had the opportunity, and wondered at that back story. I also think that there is something more to her than we were shown. Nic said that her coin was chosen with Harry in mind, and I doubt that it was just an affinity to fire.

17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember beta'ing a bit for your harry/rowena story back in the day (must be 3 or 4 years ago now) when you wanted to rewrite it once upon a time.

Pretty sure that it was going somewhere so I'm down with that.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm in favour of the vampire one. I've always found a guilty pleasure enjoyment in creature!Harry stories and vampires are one of the more interesting creatures out there, especially when they're not humanised as most are nowadays.

19. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Honestly I just love Founders Era, I loved your first story, and I'm really wondering where you'll take it.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Vampire, especially if you involve Rosmerta in some way (c'mon, old medieval village, a vampire, and a 'busty barmaid' or 'innkeeper's daughter'? Hammer Horror, eat your heart out!).