1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Historical Insert Stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Halt, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I'm looking for stories where a real world historical figure is inserted into a fictional one.

So far, I know of:
    How I Learned To Stop Hating And Love The Bomb That Is Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. This is set in Worm, pre-canon, with Nero being the older sister of Emma Barnes. Funny and great character interactions, though not much plot to speak of.

HBO WI: Joffrey from Game of Thrones replaced with Octavian from Rome. The titles says it all really. Octavian is dumped into the body of Jofferey in A Song of Ice and Fire. Technical writing is terrible no matter how you look at it, but the concept appealed enough to me that I read it anyways.

Anyone else have anything to recommend?

2. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

There's a Napoleon summoned as a familiar story that I remember being half decent.

3. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I haven't read it, but I've seen it linked on other forums before.

The story is here. It's a Familiar of Zero fanfiction.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Napoleon story is technically well written, but I personally found it deeply displeasing. It's just not fun to read how Napoleon fucks over characters one is at least fond off.

The Nero story is, of course, a lot of fun, but a) lacking in plot and b) the later chapters lost a bit of its charm. Whether the story merely got too long to sustain its own humour or if I merely got a bit tired of it, I don't know. Still like it though, albeit not as much as before. Does this really count as a historical insert? I mean, technically, I guess, but the character herself has always been closer to an anime character (Red Saber) than anything, so, meh.

Now, the story I didn't already know, the Rome crossover, I actually like. Yeah, it's going to be a stomp fic and I don't think Octavian is that in character but so far, enjoyable enough. Wish there was a full blown crossover, where we also have the Rome characters in Westeros, the House of Julii or something. Just want Attia, Pullo, Vorenus, Octavian and Mark Anthony there.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Going to second most of this. The Napoleon story also had some really dumb plot twists and overall was just too much of a generic stomp fic. Nero just refuses to develop a plot despite a million great hooks and the charm has been wearing thin.

The Octavian story is doing the kind of rise to power stomps in a reasonable fashion, told in brief snippets and letting other characters change their machinations in response. It's not telling a traditional story but it's still fun.

6. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Napoleon: Yes that one was a fic that was pretty good as it kept going but then when it stopped and I went back to it, I really did not like it any more.

Nero: It's going to be one of those polarizing stories. Either you like it or you wont. imo, the problem really stems from a lack of plot. Or at least the appearance of one. It's like a slice of life that just got inserted into an action story. Since its PoV from Nero's perspective, the chapter's actions, in third person, could be condensed into maybe... 4? at this point?

JOctavian: I like it. But I can see the flaws. There's been a recent surge in "uplift" stories situated in the GoT fandom at least on SB.

There's supposed to be 10 chapters already written on the althistory forum but its being crossposted slowly.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I really liked the Octavian story. Do we have any more of this kind of historical insert/crossover?

8. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

There was another one on AH.com I remember which had Caesar as Viserys but it didn't really go anywhere before dying: The Shadow of Venus. It was also more of an AH.com type of story as I recall, more focused on geopolitics than characterization. As a member there I can accept that, but as a reader I can see why people prefer literary merit to discussions over the impact of building roads across the North or whatever. As ever for that forum you need to be a member.

Now that I'm thinking about it there's a few other stories of the type on that forum, but I don't know how well they'll be received. These are two of the more popular.

Game On: The US under Nixon is sent to the world of S.M. Stirling's Draka.

An ISOT in Grimdark: Modern Germany gets sent to Warhammer Fantasy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm not familiar with the universes of the last two you suggested. I'm a member of AH so I can handle reading on their forum as well. I'll look up the first one. Any other you would recommend?