1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kings starring Ian McShane [NBC: Sunday]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Fan-fucking-tastic. It's like watching a movie. A good movie.

I really hope it doesn't go the way of Firefly. :(

2. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Another good episode but did anyone catch the fact that when David goes to party with they king's son they all get handed Magnum condoms. Pretty funny that was thrown in there. I didn't get the ending though
    why did Silas walk away like that? Was the sacrifice that he can't visit anymore?

3. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Yep, he sacrifices Serenity or the thing he loves most to keep his throne. I actually thought Silas would kill Seth ala the deer.

Speaking of the deer, that scene was absolutely fantastic, and so unexpected.

Kings delivered another great episode, which only serves to make me sadder about the show's unavoidable future.

4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Another good episode for me. Haven't heard/read anything about the recent ratings.

I didn't understand the scene with the Reverend looking at the flag on the warehouse building though. What happened there? He changed his mind...?

Also, I hate how David's family reacted at the end. He gets shunned because he didn't conspire to create an uprising? He gets shunned even though the only reason Ethan's alive and free is because of him? I get that they'd be displeased that David didn't really stand up for their home, but seriously...

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

The Flag and what he thinks it represents most likely made him change his mind and turn around.

I still can't decide if I think Silas is a villian or just doing what he has to do, which is a really good thing in my opinion.

I am not sure if the Mom is shunning him or just doesn't want to cause conflict, so she shuts the door on him. If they are indeed shunning him, it's pretty lame. I can undersand that one son(or the other sons) but not the mother.

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

The Flag Scene was one of the what the fuck scenes.. if you'll notice the smoke is blowing one way from the chimney, but the flag is blowing the other way.

Its like the Butterfly scene, completely symbolic and unrealistic but awesome.

7. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Aaaaannd it got moved to Saturdays 8/7 c. I hope they don't fuck this one up. I'm really starting to enjoy this series. It's probably unrealistic expectations/hopes.

8. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

If they moved it to Saturday it seems like they want the show to fail. This sucks since it was such a well done show.

9. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

This maybe the most under advertised show ever...

I didn't even know when the show started, exactly what it was about, or that they were switching broadcast days.

I still haven't watched the show on TV, I've been watching it on the internets all this time.

IF NBC threw some attention over to Kings I'm sure it could easily get nominated for one of those fancy smancy academy awards.

More than likely though its going to go the ways of Journey man...

I loved that show.

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Now NBC is just going Fox on Us.

Damn You Paradigm Shift!
    Damn You...

12. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

It's a shame, but you could see it coming from afar. The fact of the matter is that the American audience simply isn't smart enough to handle a show like this. I appreciate the fact that NBC made and aired the show. I wish they would have given it more time to build an audience, but I doubt it would have helped much.

The positive is that it leaves Ian McShane to go back to HBO, and participate in a Game of Thrones. Hopefully!

13. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

NBC is airing the rest of the Episodes on Saturdays it looks like. Episode 6 from this past weekend is up on Hulu already.

14. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The more I watch this show the more annoyed I get. I'm really enjoying this - the writing, acting, setting, music (some string pieces reminiscent of Deadwood) - and I'm getting annoyed that there's practically no chance for a second season.

The latest episode was another excellent one. Can't wait for the weekend.

Definitely buying the DVD when comes out.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's effectively been cancelled. No order for another season in the NBC 09-10 schedule. Oh well. At least we get to see the whole season.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

It's like firefly all over again!

16. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

This past Saturday's episode was really great. My favorite episode by far. I'm missing the show more and more with each passing episode and it's not even technically over yet :(

17. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

QFT.

Just watched it. I can't remember the last time I was so frustrated that a show I enjoyed was cancelled. Farscape, I'd say.

So, yes, another brilliant episode. I didn't think I'd like a show where the "hero" originated from Home & Away but he's surprised me.

Ian McShane is an excellent actor, and a mighty fine storyteller, too. I hope the next project he's a part of lasts longer.

Quite simply, I'm enjoying Kings more than anything else on TV right now. It'll like be my favourite show of the year. Given how much I enjoyed 24 this season (aside from a few qualms, it was a great return to form), that's saying something.

18. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

Something I didn't quite get..

At the end there when Silas said 'Death took what was near,' does that imply that David's father would have lived if Silas hadn't bartered for Michelle's life?

19. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Possibly. But I'd have to rewatch it since I don't specifically remember that line.

If Michelle had died, there's the chance that there would've been no war given that Silas broke (according to his wife). That would mean that David would never have blown up a Goliath tank and never would've become involved with the royal family.

So, by saving Michelle, I think it's safe to say that Silas doomed his own reign as King by creating 'the better man' in David. As for David's father surviving, it's possible, but we'll never know.

Oh, 400 posts.

20. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Finally caught up, and damn so sad this is cancelled. I just don't understand Macaulay Culkin's role in the show. Besides being a cleptomaniac, he seems pointless.