LEGO thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Taure, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
  3. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    The rotating car platforms and batsuit wardrobe my fucking god

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Finished building the Saturn V today. Super easy build, and a lot quicker than I was expecting. Took like 5-6 hours in total, which seems crazy quick to me for a 2k piece set. Like, the Destiny's Bounty took me something like 10 hours for not that many more pieces, and the super star destroy was a full 2 days, something like 16 hours. This is a pretty cool display piece though, as it's like 3 feet tall.

5. Anarchy

Finished the first conversion of the Forward Unto Dawn from Megabloks to Lego. Few things I want to tweak. The antennas in the front are backwards, though I do like the look. The wings are bulky as fuck, and while the bottom is hinged to be an angle, I don't like how it's set up at the moment. I'll probably come up with a way using clicky hinges to do it instead. I also need to redo the bridge a bid, as the original can't really be converted to Lego. Also, the engines need to be redone, as the wheels I chose to act as thruster housing are like $10 each and are a bit too large

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

I guess we can see why he worked on the Lego Batman movie...

He's also the one who submitted the design which eventually became the expensive-ass Ecto-1 that I can't afford. :(

I love Lego, but a while back it became one of those things for me where I kind of decided I didn't want to buy any more if I couldn't have them all.

7. Anarchy

I ended up bricklinking all the pieces for the Forward Unto Dawn... word of recommendation... triple check your auto-generated lists. Usually it calculates and creates packages for the cheapest parts with the fewest amount of orders, but it's not perfect. I needed 2 large wheels, and the order generator picked one out for $2 from one vendor, and $11 for another vendor. Similarly, in another order, these 2 tiny technic pins ended up costing me $10 each for some reason rather than the couple of cents they are. And here I was, thinking the price that the whole thing came too was very reasonable, yet still if I had read through the order more than one extra time, I should have still been able to save another $50 or so. Kind of frustrating, and I doubt my messages to the sellers will matter at all since the money has already been paid.

8. Anarchy

Surprisingly, all the pieces came in pretty quickly. Even the main bulk of the pieces, about ~2500 of them, came from Thailand and arrived in 5 days (!). Took me about 3 hours to sort through all the pieces and make sure all the orders were correct. Which they were, with the exception of one black technic round pin being a hybrid round/cross pin instead, but no big deal since it's a 1 cent piece and I've got tons of extras (and I also ordered extra pieces of a lot of them, to account for human error. Lego might not make mistakes with their sets, but people do).

Anyways, I started the build. I underestimated how hard it was going to be to build, since while I used the Megalocks instructions as a basis, I modified them a bit to fit the needs of a Lego build, so as I was going along, I had to dig through the actual 3d model of it to see how I put it together. It's not a huge issue, and the only other issue is that normal Lego builds have everything nicely broken up into sections and bagged up, so you would have numbered bags like 1 through 15 to go along with the instructions. I don't have that. I have about a mess of 500 baggies sorted by color and part. Not impossible to work with, just much harder than I'm used to. But, it could be worse. It could just be one massive pile of pieces.

Anyways, here's the start of it. Not much to look at yet, but it's about 50 studs long, and this is just half of it, and that's not including the rear engines or front antenna. Estimates show that it should be about 3 feet long when done, and I estimate that it'll take me 3-4 days of casual building to finish it. It took me like 16 hours to build the Super Star Destroyer, which is about 500 less pieces, and came in the aforementioned nicely numbered bags with easy to follow instructions.

[​IMG]

9. James

James Professor

Holy shit, this is awesome. Waiting with bated breath for final result.

10. Anarchy

Worked on it for about 5 hours today, maybe a bit more. Fingers are actually hurting a bit. I've got the main section of the back half done, as well as the supports. I need to finish the side stabilizers, add the hinge roof and bridge, the engines, and all the side detailing. So I don't even think I'm 25% of the way done yet, though the model is extremely solid right now.

[​IMG]

11. Anarchy

Built for another 3 hours today. Finished the side stabilizers, which were a lot more pieces than I was actually expecting, so those alone took an hour. They came out better than I was expecting though. The bottom are just simple hinges and I wasn't sure if they would be enough, but 8 in conjunction is actually quite stiff so they will hold the angle quite well. Also attached the engines, which was pretty simplistic. just some giant black wheels with some transparent rings. The last thing was attaching all the side details, which is super tedious. Everything is made on sub-assemblies which are then attached to horizontal bricks, but there's a ton of different pieces meaning I had to track them all down 1 at a time, which took forever. I still have to do the second side, which should go faster now that I have all the brick bags I need already out. Then, it's just the roof and bridge to finish the back half of the ship. It's really starting to come together.

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    Back half of the ship is completely done now. The roof wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting.

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    Nearly finished. Maybe about 500 pieces left. Kinda wish the phone on my camera didn't suck so much, since it's hard to see all of the detail. But here's the front, without the antenna and roof.

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    Here's the completed build -

[​IMG]