1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Less able Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by El Duderino, Aug 17, 2011.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

You know what I've never seen? A blind or mute Harry fic that didn't almost make me blind, and I can't say anything about mute, because I've not even seen one of those. Is there such a thing?

2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Why you would want that, I do not know. I vaguely remember reading fics where he had various handicaps, but they tend to be, as a rule, terrible. I don't want to feel bad for Harry while he struggles through life :/

3. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Well, there is a "blind Harry" fic in the DLP library, even if it's a bit old.

Blind Faith

4. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

There's a really good series of 7 books where Harry is less able.

5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

What Randeemy said. I imagine its hard to do a decent less able Harry when canon seems to make him pretty damn unable at anything except blowing smoke up Snape's arse.

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

Yeah, I get that, but it seemed an interesting idea to
    Me, about the whole not being as physically able as others. Maybe I'll write something...

7. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

The only thing I can think of is Almost a Squib by BajaB. As in, less able Harry.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Some years ago, I actually was interested in this kind of fics, just to see, how the authors deal with the subject.

More often than not, the disability was overcome with a new magical ability even 'better' than the lost ability - thus becoming 'the power he knows not'. In these cases 'less abled Potter' is just a twist to introduce some kind of deus ex machina.

The authors who actually try to deal with a disability rarely finish their stories.
    Solstice Muse has written a mute!Ron fic and (which might also be listed here) one with Ron leaping backwards and forwards in time - a kind of magical disability.

You could also look at squib!Harry or one I once saw where he is an illusionist who can't actually change anything by magic, just make the audience believe he did it.

10. Rym

Rym Auror

IIRC, this was abandoned (the sequel) and then taken up by another author and rewritten. If this is that story, then the original was much better. The newer version isn't worth reading IMO

11. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

I remember a fic where Harry lost his sight because his glasses shattered, and Dumbledore sent him to get trained by some martial-arts-shaolin-monk-wizard-guy, and eventually he could use 'mage sight' to see again. The name, however, eludes me; but perhaps just as well, because I also remember it being half-way shit.

12. Kravot

Kravot Fourth Year

Why can't they just buy him new glasses?

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Disabled!Harry is usually just a plot device for people who like to wank over either angst or slash pairings.

"Oh, WOE IS ME! I am blind, and now only Severus' dick can make me feel normal again!" (Man, do I feel fucking unclean for writing that).

The only Disabled!Harry I want to see, is one that can't resist knocking out peoples' (read: Ronald Billius 'Trash Can' Weasley) teeth every time he sees them, because they're such annoying douchebags.

Edit:

"Can I sit here? Everywhere else is -" *CRUNCH*.

"Sorry about that, my disability must be playing up again. Say, you wouldn't happen to have any plasters, would you? My knuckles keep getting opened up because of tooth fragments."

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Sorry, I obviously wasn't clear enough there; the lenses of his glasses shattered and embedded into his eyes. I believe the excuse was that there was so much damage that even magic wasn't intricate enough to fix them.

15. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Has the author ever heard of Mad-Eye Moody?

16. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually laughed for at least twenty minutes.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've seen a few disabled!Harry fics, but none worth note, save BajaB's Almost a Squib, which is generally lighthearted and enjoyable.

Bobmin's Sunset/Sunrise over Britain has a physically crippled Super!Harry, from whom they milk the angst for about a million words.

There's the retardedly named angst fest Recnac Transfaerso, where Harry has cancer, which is horrible and tragic, true, but it also turns out to be this super cool superpower of its own. It's utterly horrid writing and if you manage to actually finish it, you should be ashamed of yourself.

There's this ridiculously over the top abuse/angst fic whose name I've purged from my memory where Harry's uncle pours acid in his eyes and blinds him. Harry's accidental magic transports him to his parents, who are still alive, but who believed Dumbledore's claims that their kid was dead. Then there's a heartwarming family bonding and Harry's mum makes new eyes for him. It really is as bad as it sounds.

On the SIYE site, there's a popular Harry/Ginny angst fic where Harry is with his family when Vernon wrecks the car. Harry loses his arm (and maybe a leg, I forget) and has to relearn magic as a lefty. So very sad.

Another is Harry Potter and the Rune of Alacantera by Mione5, where Harry is captured and mutilated by Malfoy senior. Every time he uses his magic, he brings himself closer to death. Angst ensues.

Actually, there's a ton of crappy angst fics where Harry is abused so severely as a child that he is left emotionally crippled. Brutal Harry by LordsLight is a recent such story.

I've run across a couple of mute!Harry fics, but they have all been angsty and utterly forgettable.

Notice the recurring theme?

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Wouldn't happen to be angst, would it?

19. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Here's one that's modeled after A Walk to Remember (the Mandy Moore movie), only the genders are reversed and features Harry and Ginny.

Proceed at your own risk.

20. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Would that super cool superpower happens to be a healing factor plus the ability to break the fourth wall?

Sorry, can't resist. :p