1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Like a Phoenix He Shall Rise by Nighttime Sunshine - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Fine Balance, Sep 5, 2007.

1. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Title : Like a Phoenix He Shall Rise
    Rating: Mature
    Pairing: -None-
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 163,689
    Updated: July 11, 2003
    Published: April 6, 2002

DLP: Independents.
    Summery: Harry won't return to Hogwarts for fifth year. Will he come back? What about Voldemort? H/Hr(eventually). Rating for cursing. All Reviews and Flames welcomed.
    Link: FF.net

A very good representative of the indy!Harry genre. Has that 'gritty' atmosphere that a lot of fics try for, and fail.

It's old, it's different. Try it. ^^

Rating: 4.5-5

Checked by Minion, March 24, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'm afraid I don't see the logic behind putting an abandoned fic up for review.

It may just be me, but I do not read abandoned fics (at least those that have been confirmed by the author to be abandoned), no matter how good they are. In fact, the better the fic, the more I won't read it since it will only increase the pain I feel at knowing it will probably never be updated again.

Just my two cents though.

3. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I agree. I can't bring myself to read something I'm totally sure won't have an ending.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read it a long time ago but I really like the title of it.

5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Oh please, the few percentages of the fanfics getting a real ending is too few and far between. I just try to enjoy the story while it lasts.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yes, I do that as well. I "try" to enjoy stories, but as most say, too many new stories are lacking in the "good" or "above average" area.

7. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Rather boring and cliche' first chapter, I'll try to wade through it some more later, but unless it improves quickly I don't think i'm going to be sticking with this one for long.

Edit:
    Alright... Chapter 1 in a nutshell

Downsides: Crappy and cliche' start. including angsting over cedric and extended bouts of sleeplessness 'for fear of the nightmares' EEEK!

Also features the owner of flourish and blotts (Not named after either of them) showing up in a beat up pickup truck 'Cause he doesn't like floo or apparition' and asking harry if he wants a job. Harry not only accepts without demanding proof that the man is who he claims, but demands to be paid knuts on the galleon for the work he's going to do despite the fact the the shop owner told him he's asking for far to little. He replies that he 'Just wants a little pocket change to convert into muggle money for new clothes'

Upsides:
    Dumbledore actually threw his considerable weight around at the ministery and Harry can practice magic. We get to see the dursleys turn odd colors as they read a note explaining what happened and why harry can use magic at home, not that he'll be there much with his new job mind you.

Edit2: Chapter two (Far as I'm going)

harry manages to change his hair color and eye color and (eventually) vanish his scar using the spells that 'Spencer' (the owner) taught him. Goes down to breakfast where dudly demands to be allowed to watch him use magic. lights a fire floos away, and just misses Vernon smiling at this and dudly yelling 'Cool!' petunia is at least somewhat in character as she faints.

I'll give it credit for at least having good spelling and punctuation and such, but that raises this story's score to a hefty 2/5

Sorry Balance, I just don't think it's good enough for the library. Don't worry though, alot of members have 'Guilty pleasure' stories that they read even if the story wouldn't make the cut here,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  8. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

It's 2002 published. So most of the cliche's you'd find, weren't cliches back then.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

That doesn't matter. The great fics go on long enough where I'm already engrossed when they're abandoned. And the best fics are all finished. I'll read something knowing it'll probably be abandoned, but I would never start something I know the author won't finish. If the author really is good, they'll just throw a quick ending up if they really don't wanna write anymore, or at least let someone else continue and/or finish it.

10. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

These words put me off so much that I couldn't go on reading.