1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magical Stats!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpaca Queen, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

The recent thread on magical cores reminded me of something tangentially related that I wanted to run by the DLP community.

I've read a few HP Video Game fics recently (Forgive me, for I have sinned!) and I got to thinking about the stats involved. An idea struck me that I've become somewhat attached to, that magic would be a combination of three mental stats:

INT: Intelligence is often used to describe knowledge or capacity for knowledge, which means it'd apply to the ability to learn spells. Characters with high Intelligence, like Hermione, often cast new spells in only a few tries, and have a large repository of spells.

WIL: Willpower applies to mental resistance and, you know, willpower. Since so much of magic seems to revolve around intent, characters with lots of Willpower, like Harry, would be able to pull more from each spell, and could use emotionally investing magic like the Patronus or throw off the Imperius better.

WIS: Wisdom refers to spirituality (AKA old-manliness, or alternately similarity-to-Dumbledore) and accumulated experience, and deals more with when and why you use your magic than how. Those with lots of Wisdom, like Dumbledore, use their magic in creative and unpredictable ways, and perhaps have a deeper understanding of the principles involved?

Now, here's the cool part: each stat aligns rather well with a house. Stereotypical Gryffindors, with all their courage and nerve, would probably dump into WIL, where Ravenclaws would rather focus on INT. Slytherins are the worst match, but I'd place them as WIS-focused, since they don't care for power or knowledge except where they can use them to get what they want.

And...Hufflepuffs focus on CHA, I guess? I don't know, none of this really made perfect sense. Slytherins definitely aren't all that spiritual.

Take it for what you will, I suppose.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter is not an anime. Fanfiction which tries to pretend it is generally ends up being shit.

And I'm sure you're not the first person to plan an anime-style fan-made data book for Harry Potter characters. It's also pretty easy to assume that, like those before you, any attempt to use this tripe to write coherent fiction will lead to utter shit.

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Said Lungs righteously.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Con: How large your magical core is

Dex: How big your penis is

Str: How big your muscles get from quidditch

Wis: How good your Occlumency is

Chr: How effectively you can soul bond

Int: How effective Dumble's magical blocks are on you

5. Sauur

Sauur First Year

High Score:
    Did some crazy madman hold you at gunpoint and make you read bad fanfiction? Because damn dude you got some serious anger issues about it. :fire

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wrote it.

7. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Is it in bad taste to laugh at the fact that it's you saying this, Lungs?

e: GUESS NOT!

8. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think magic overall would be characterized by the following stats; intelligence/knowledge, wisdom, dexterity, focus/acuity, will power and instinctual ability (for lack of a better term). All those, in concert, would result in a very skilled and thus powerful wizard. If we had to attribute stat points to existing characters we might image (canon) Harry having a lot of points in will power, dexterity and instinct while Hermione might favor knowledge and focus. But really, idk.

9. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

Hahaha. I would read a video game fic parody with those stats.