1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Paradox Game - Imperator: Rome

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sauce Bauss, May 20, 2018.

1. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

So as any of you who frequent IRC probably know, my Rome boner pierces the heavens on a calm day. I've got a few thousand hours in Paradox's other games, so this is some next level hype.

Map looks like some kind of mix between Europa Universalis and Civilization. It has a Crusader Kings style character system. 7000 cities, large map, and it starts in 304 BC, right after Alexander's death. Screenshots. Map includes Mauryan India and a good chunk of Africa as well.

Here's the twitch stream of the announcement at PDXcon

Release date is 2019.

2. Agayek

Agayek Alchemist

I've never gotten in to grand strategy games before, but this one just may be the thing to do it. It looks pretty baller, so I'm very likely going to at least give it a shot.

3. Mestre

Mestre Fourth Year

The map reminds me of Hegemony III, not that matters.

Character and Empire building with culture that matters. This is the shit.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Order Member

High Score:
    color me interested. One of the things I dislike about some of the recent Paradox games is the lack of character development. A return to that like CK2 is welcomed.

5. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks great in terms of map, mechanics etc. I do wonder about replayability though. One of the main factors in CK2 and EU4 in making you want to replay is wanting to play other countries. In this era, I can think of five main campaigns:

1. As Rome, create the Roman Empire.

2. As Carthage, destroy Rome and take its place in history.

3. As a Greek culture nation, recreate Alexander's empire.

4. Unite Germanic tribes and sack Rome 1000 years early.

5. Celtic superpower.

Once you have done those, your other choices are mainly small tribes that no one has ever heard of. Achievement hunters will no doubt still have plenty to do, but historical role players like myself will quickly run out of ideas.

However, it may be that the character and population system come to the rescue. If internal management is sufficiently varied and interesting, then you could play multiple Rome games that all go very differently.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

The map looks like it extends pretty far, so I wouldn't rule out some serious Persian and Indian gameplay either. Though you might have to wait for an expansion or two...

In any case, while this definitely feels like the different playable states will be a lot less porous than in CK2 (changing alliance between countries seems rather unlikely) I still hope the primary focus is on player character, heir, managing relations, etc rather than a more EU4 style experience.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage Prestige

High Score:
    Any chance that the base game will be good from the get go or still meh until a few addons have rolled in like with most paradox games?

Still, pretty psyched to hear about this.

8. Taure

High Score:
    Hmm. This would not quite make sense - Rome was not feudal. I suspect it is still state focused, only with a cast of characters to give government flavour. I really hope that you get to play Roman politics in a fairly deep way, because:

A) It will add a lot of replayability, as even if you conquer the same territory, your internal politics will be very different, and

B) Once Rome had beaten Carthage, its most interesting history relates to its internal politics, not its wars of conquest.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Not to mention internal politics has always been a bit of a weak spot for Paradox games. It's why EU 4 and CK 2 tend to end up with large and entirely too stable mega-nations slowly blobbing over the map. I know most of my games petered out once I'd gotten so big that nobody could really challenge me, unless I started coming up with weird random goals to amuse myself.

10. Taure

High Score:
    Some more details coming out.

Apparently the map is convex:

[​IMG]

Also some details on pops and trade goods:

[​IMG]

Apparently more trade goods (up to 40) will be added in the final game.

Looking at that map, two things strike me:

1. They need a better colour for Egypt.

2. This game needs to have mechanics to let established empires fail and collapse, or else every game will be a Seleucid curbstomp.

11. Taure

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Looks like they've done a good job of combining political and terrain map modes.