1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Notes towards a new fic.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by the-caitiff, Sep 3, 2006.

1. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I' trying to get these notes out of my head so they won't tempt me to start yet another fic while I have some going. Will revisit after Hands of the Other is done and Warlord Prince is being wrapped up. Please be brutally honest and let me know of any problems/cliches to avoid/constructive criticism you have.

Working title; HP & the Natural Order
    Timeframe; Immediately after DD's office scene in OotP.
    Genre; Fantasy/mild Romance (I'm going to try my hand here might work, might not)
    Pairing(s); Harry/Hedwig maybe Harry/Multi

After the revelation of the Prophecy, Harry really needs a friend who will listen to him. Hermione will tell him to talk to DD or authority figures, Ron is impulsive and emotional depth of a teaspoon, Ginny hero-worships him, etc... He just needs someone who can listen and not judge or tell him what to do. That night he sits on top of one of the towers until sunrise talking to Hedwig and trying to interpret her hoots and coos as responses. He enjoys this and wishes he could really understand her because he is almost positive her noises are parts of a conversation.

Through means as yet undefined (possible RoR cliche, possible direct spirit of Hogwarts intervention, possible wizard unknown providing it) Harry comes across an ancient book detailing how to take his pet and bond her as a proper Familiar like the legends of old. Not only would they share some traits (revisit chap 3 and 4 of "At the Hands of the Other" completely rework ritual and chop some of the bonuses) but they would be able to communicate telepathically. Naturally Harry thinks this might be a good idea. Hedwig was his first and most loyal friend after all, and now she could be more.

Harry brews the potions and borrows/steals/liberates the necessary ritual implements to perform the ritual the night before he must leave for the summer. The ritual not only combines the essances and spirits of the two but Harry gives up a piece of his magic to empower his familiar. Hedwig's already impressive intelligence is increased and supplemented by the ritual to the point that she becomes her own person in a sense. Just another instance of Harry and his magic doing the impossible.

Hedwig talks to Harry to help him work through his residual guilt and his grief. She tries to explain the natural order of things and the cycle of life not only to deal with his grief but to help him face his destiny. As a means to help him understand she suggests that he study the animagus transformation. Initially she only participates to provide support, but ventually she wonders if she could actually transform into something else as well. Harry's form is revealed to be a mostly black owl with messy feathers and green eyes. Hedwig discovers that it is possible for her but will not tell him her form. She becomes coy when asked and only practices when Harry cannot see.

Harry completes his change before his birthday but Hedwig won't allow him to fly outside of his room untill she is sure of his skills. On his birthday, Harry and Hedwig fly around Surrey for the first time together, and Hedwig says she has a birthday present for him when they return. After they return and Harry returns to human form, Hedwig demonstrates her animagus form. She becomes a human girl. There is much embarassment as Harry convinces her to wear clothing while human at least for the sake of his sanity.

The development of an actual relationship between them I have two options and I want to use both. Both involve Hedwig going into heat and Harry's reaction, the only question is which form she is in and what Harry does about it. Harry is too noble and moral to only use her as a pleasurable companion, and seeks a real relationship with her. Again "the natural order" is discussed, as is the human way.

In the same time frame, Hedwig assigns herself as Harry's body guard. She is a predator who hunts and kills live prey, she has instincts honed for survival and no moral compunction against killing. She helps Harry understand his new instincts and teaches him how to hunt and track prey of all sorts.

When Harry visit's Diagon Alley for school supplies with Hedwig, it is revealed that surprisingly she is a muggle in human form. All of her innate magic is tied up in keeping the transformation. This raises some interesting questions to be explored.

Upon his return to Hogwarts, Harry approaches McGonagall about registering his form. They debate the value of a hidden skill but Harry points out that he does not want to give the ministry something else to hang him with. There is a brief uproar among the students but it passes quickly.

Stir in school situations, mix with assassination plots, sprinkle
    with friends and unconventional thinking. Serve warm.

2. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Well its an fairly old plot with a new character. Overall I think that it could be a good fic, but why are you sending him back to Hogwarts again? There have been thousands of these fics in the past and I honestly doubt that you can hold the attention of the more demanding readers with such a plot.

Let him travel a bit (not by portkey like a tourist - but rather on his own wings). Because of his new tie to nature he finds out that there is life and energy in everything and during his travels he learns more and more about it. Keep in mind though that this aren't things that you can learn by reading... He would have to feel and experiment. During that time you can also drive along the romance plot.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, yeah, the idea has been used before, although not recently (not after OOTP was published, I think).

The way to develop H/Hedwig seems... dunno, a bit stretched? First, I don't see Harry performing any rituals after OOTP, especially not on his familiar. Next, Harry is just not the type to SEEK conversation about his feelings; he'd rather just bottle them up and angst around. And then, I don't see him becoming an animagus in a few weeks, when it took Maraurders years to do it.

I'd rather see all this happen in sort of a freak accident. Harry coped up in his room and burdened by the prophecy brews animagus transformation potion. Hedwig is bringing in letters, but she's cursed by some dark animation curse by death eaters spies surrounding the house. She somehow manages to fly back to Harry, only to end up falling right into the caudron. Hrry tries to save her but knocks down the cauldron, bathing therm both in potion. Add the dark curse + Harry's accidental magic + animagus potion = Harry gets owl animagus form and Hedwig gets human form... or something like it.

Anyway, I also disliked the plot after the transformation. I don't think there's a point in pushing in Voldemort and all that rot into this scenario. I'm affraid if you make this about combat/war, the whole point will be in Hedwig beating up DE's and saving Harry's whiny arse.

Better focus on relationship between Harry and Hedwig, as well as evil Ministry/McNair looking out to execute the product of illegal experiments on magical creatures. Maybe even place this before OOTP, so that Voldemort wouldn't be such a distraction.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I kind of like the idea, though Ip82's suggestion has merit. On the point that Harry wouldn't do any rituals after OoTP, look at some of the indy!Harry fics set after OoTP, he will do rituals - being angered by Dumbles could do itas well as despair at the prophecy. He could go on his travels a it and would want some company along with him - and who better than his own familiar.

The combat bit could work, Hedwig is a natural predator but she wouldn't be much good at it in human form, being used to having claws and wings and the likes.

I suggest you incorporate some of IPs ideas into the mix but keep some of yours. Hogwarts is a variable you can decide on.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hmm... I might have badly formulated that sentence. What I meant was, Harry wouldn't waste his time on such a... peacful ritual. Build up stamina or pump up magical power - sure, you can always explain it by the Prophecy. But create a familiar out of Hedwig, so he could TALK with someone? I just don't see motivation behind it.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think you're kinda splitting your intended audience as well. That is to say, the people intrigued and interested in Harry boinking his owl are not the types who want to read an emotional angst-fest where Harry opens up and talks about his feelings. And the people who want to read those sorts of stories aren't usually the type up for a twisted piece of bestiality.

The most significant Harry/Hedwig fic I remember (which is gone and the author wants it to stay that way) worked really well because this wasn't some desperate tear-filled prayer of Harry's being answered. But mainly hot naked chick randomly appearing for a birthday present. A fierce, protective but very odd Hedwig who was as territorial about protecting Harry in human form as in owl form. And the vast majority of human emotions didn't make a lot of sense to her. Kinda like the concept of clothes at first.

You turn Hedwig into the caring, mothering, nurturing sort and she can easily become just another Mary-Sue-ish romance.

The idea can definitely work, but just like no one wants to read about a kind, nice, caring Bella in a Harry/Bella fic, why turn Hedwig into another sort of 'perfect little Ginny' in a Harry/Hedwig fic.

7. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

If I end up writing this fic, it really isn't DLP material anyway, the background flavor is all wrong. He probably wouldn't be inde or dark so it won't end up here. I put my notes here because DLP posters would give me this kind of honest feedback. Everywhere else I hear "wow sounds like a great story... blah blah blah stroke the ego".

Honestly, I've only ever seen one "Hedwig is an animagus" story, "Golden Eyes" and the plot was totatlly different so I thought I had something original here. Maybe I don't. I won't be doing anything with it for a while so hopefully if I do end up using it, it won't end up a half baked idea lacking a thought out premise.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, the only thing not working on DLP is H/Ginny, slash and pussy Harry. Everything else is a fair game, including romance and goody-good crap. The plot isn't 100% original, but it hasn't been used much either, so I say if you have the inspiration, write it.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I like the idea of a freak accident. Of course, there must be bad side-effects as well. I mean, there is no way that after all that, everything would benefit them. Maybe chronic headaches, insomnia, ect... Bleh.

Just something bad.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of the main side effects would be the fact his eyes would be overly sensitive IMO. Owls are nocturnal for a reason. Their eyes are too sensitive for Daylight most of the time.

I like the idea, especially using a freak accident rather than angst fest, but I also think that it would be better to have Harry travel, as an owl, around the world. Do something original, have him find a lost civilisation of magical Incas who think they are still hiding behind a form of the fidelius from the Spannish. Perhaps they worship him and pass on lots of esoteric lore to him.

Anyway, if it inspires you, go for it.

11. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I know alot of people disagree with me, but I like Hogwarts as the setting. It's well developed, still has unexplored mysteries, and he has a good reason to be there. If I take him somewhere else other than just a visit, I would need a good reason and it's a lot of work developing a rich living environment.

I find it easier to invent reasons he would stay than to invent new places for him to go. I'll be a hypocrit in a few days when my next chapter of Next Great Adventure comes out, but I had to work up to it...

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hogwarts is great, of course, it's just that it's overused. If you are capable of projecting a plot without Hogwarts, you should definitely do it; but not many FF authors are.

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

So tell me...is this going to contain wild raunchy OwlSex?

14. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Oh hell no. A.) I can't write smut. B.) Raunchy owl sex? That just sounds wrong. Now I realize it sounds like I'm some sick bestiality fetishist, but I hope to firmly establish Hedwig as a person not a pet before anything at all happens there. If I can't do that, there will be no romance. Despite how it sounds, the focus isn't around Harry/Hedwig but more Harry accepting the natural order of things and doing what needs to be done without turning into an angsty bitch. Hedwig and her humanity would be a side plot and method of achieving this.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The scary thing is, I think Amerision really wants that. ;)

Anyway, I rather the 'final battle' to take place somewhere other than Hogwarts. The Ministry of Magic? Godric's Hollow? Riddle Mansion? Doesnt really matter, as long as its well written.