1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Online Dresden RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Typhon, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

So, playing what we have of the Way of the Wicked, I've remembered how much I loved this sort of thing, and I always wanted to try out the Dresden Files RPG: do you guys know anybody (or any site that consistently has games going) that is running a game soon?

Alternately, is anybody here interested in running our own game? I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there: there's a pretty serious dearth of people that I know in real life that are down for this sort of thing.

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Honestly, I'm not sure how well a Table Top Dresden game would go in a play by post format. I have "Your World" and "Our World" and I've run two separate multi-chaptered campaigns IRL but the fudge dice set up is not very easy to translate to the Web in my opinion.

However, if someone can get a game up and running I'd totally be down for playing in it.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4d3-8 works fine for fudge dice.

4. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Honestly, I have no clue about how well some of the mechanics would work in a pbp setting, but it seems the simple (if inelegant) solution would be to just roll a normal dice, and then count 1s and 2s as a minus, 3s and 4s as neutral, and 5s and 6s as pluses.

Edit: Or just d3, like Aek suggested

5. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I've only played tabletop RPG once in my life, but for Dresden, I'd love to try if this gets off the ground.

---------- Post automerged at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Btw, I thought there WAS some sort of official Dresden files RPG game. Why not just convert that to online format?

6. Riley

There is, that's what the fudge dice and "Your World"/"Our World" come from. The TTRPG is centered around the use of fudge dice and is more about telling a story with characters then it is about questing and gaining new levels which is why I love the game.

7. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Jim Butcher's site has a whole subforum for play-by-post DFRPG (actually two, one for finding a group and one for the actual gameplay). I don't know how active it is, though. You might have to wait a bit.

Roll20 is the other place that comes to mind when I think about finding interested players. I played a couple of games thanks to it, but it was the much more popular Pathfinder. Waiting could be a thing for DFRPG games.

8. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Sloth: there is. I certainly wouldn't suggest that we try and build it from scratch. I only said what I did about not being sure how well it would translate due to Riley sounding unsure and having run a few real campaigns. If all he was concerned about was the dice setup, though, then I'd (personally) call that a minor issue at best.

Riley: the story focus was the part that seemed so interesting to me as well. It almost seemed like that would work better online (well, maybe not better, but more or less equally as well), though; what better than a community of amateur authors and Dresden nerds than to craft characters and a story? And writing does tend to be many of our preferred mediums... I don't know, it just seems like a good fit to me.

Edit: Interesting, Stojil. I honestly had no idea that those forums existed. If nothing comes of this, I'll have to go check them out. And I thought about Roll20, but I think waiting would be an issue there. I'll try it if there's no other option, but I'd prefer to avoid getting waitlisted for an extended period if I can.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  9. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

There's also this: a persistent chat game of DFRPG. Not sure how that works, though.

10. Riley

If we can convert in the manner Aekiel mentioned, it'd probably work. Like I said, if someone wants to run it, I'll play.

11. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

If I had a clue what I was doing, I'd run one, see if we couldn't get something started here. I have the Your Story/Our World books. But I'm leery of running a game that I've never played before...

12. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'd be up for giving it a shot if someone ran it. As it stands, though, I have no idea how to handle GM/DM'ing.

13. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

It does sound like something we can solidify, so long as we can get someone with more experience hosting involved.

The last time I gamed was with the BESM D20 system (big file, careful clicking), on a Mage Guild going on missions sort of setting. It was pretty easy to abuse, but pretty versatile and good at covering all bases. I hear it's not used much anymore, so maybe we can just take whatever from Your Story/Our World doesn't work and replace it with this, which I know does in an online setting.

Either way, just like Mafia, I'll probably need to learn the ropes, but I've been reading the Pathfinder game going on right now and it looks pretty cool--basically what I originally expected Mafia to be.

14. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

If people are interested, and Riley is willing to show me the ropes/answer questions when I have them (in set-up, learning how game-specific things work, etc.), I'll try DMing. I've done it before, just not on this, and like Riley said, story appears to be the main thing here; there seems to be a lot of leeway in the system, and the FATE system was never overly firm. But if anybody with more experience would like to do it, I'd certainly concede to them.

15. Riley

Gimme a week or two to finish up Werewolf mafia and I'll see what I can do about actually setting up a campaign and such.

16. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Fair enough. I'll start brushing up on the things I'll need to know.

Until then, we can knock out some basic things. Who all is interested in playing? (Going to cap at 5, I think; I'd prefer this not get out of hand on my first game Dming Dresden. If there's a great deal of interest, we might be able to go a bit higher to 6).

So far, we have:
    1. Riley
    2. Sloth
    3. Ashan

Past declaring interest, feel free to jump in (assuming you're signing up to play) with city suggestions, power levels (would like to run somewhere between Chest Deep and Snorkelling, as defined by this link http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Characters), that sort of thing. And that's about it. Ahh, that, and if any of you would prefer to DM, I'll be glad to step down and be a player. Otherwise, I think that's it!

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can help point out things you really don't want to do, since I've managed to do most of them already.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If someone's running a campaign give me a heads up. I'd love to get in on it.

19. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I'm willing to DM, if you guys want. I've run a successful DFRPG campaign that ended a few months ago (and one that fell apart soon after that... oops), and although both IRL, I can't think of anything we couldn't replicate on a forum (the maps are extremely basic, there's no real need for minis or things like that, etc.).

20. Riley

I'd be up for passing responsibility to Stojil.