1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Only A Wizard

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by DerHesse, Nov 9, 2010.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

This was my first try at writing a story, but I quickly realised that I lack actual talent to creat something enjoyable.
    That's why I would like to encourage some author to give it a try and build on my original idea.

Harry Potter was excited, no he was beyond excited, he finally understood who or what he was.
    This was the reason why he could do things other people couldn't, it all made sense.

He was some kind of Superhero.

Well not yet, conceded Harry, he was after all only seven years old, but he was a hero in the making, that was obvious, he thought happily.

Sitting in the shade of a young tree in the park near his aunt's and uncle's house, reading the latest copy of the Superman comics, he managed to nick from Dudley, Harry imagined himself flying over the rooftops of London while occasionally saving some pretty lady.

"Yeah that doesn't sound so bad, not bad at all." he grinned.
    Turning the last page of his comic, Harry noticed the shadows getting longer and the sun setting behind the trees.

„Time to get back." He muttered, his mood instantly dropping.

Sighing he stood up and made his way back to his delightful relatives, he chuckled at his first try at sarcasm, maybe he was more like Batman, he thought absently.

That's what he was doing alot lately, compairing himself and various Superheroes, even going so far that he got his first scolding by his teacher for daydreaming.

Even now on the short walk back to his relatives' house he was doing it.

Powers ?

He could do a lot of things, but the most obvious was his ability to levitate objects without touching, nothing big mind you, small stuff like pencils, slips of paper and resently he even managed to lift a fork.
    Not very impressiv compared to the guys in his, eh, Dudley's comics but he was still a hero in the making, he reminded himself.

His other skills were more like accidents in his opinion, because he never managed to repeat them, in example his trip to the roof of his school, he still had no idea how he did that.

Anyway, Powers ? Check.

Sad childhood ?

That's a given. Parents are dead, apparently killed in a car crash and he had to sleep in cupboard.
    While he didn't look like some dosser, his aunt made sure of that since she didn't want the neighbours to get any ideas about the way they treated him, but she usually bought him some cheap and non-discript clothes or gave him Dudley's old stuff, which would roughly fit him.

So, where was I ? Ah yes, sad childhood ? Check.

Weakness ?

Well, he was small, but what seven year old wasn't ? So that didn't count, Harry thought rubbing his forhead.
    Of course !
    His glasses, oh how he haited his glasses. Glasses weren't cool and definitely not worth fitting a futur Superhero, except he was in some kind of disguise.
    He would have to fix that sometime in the futur, because aside from being unheroish, they were highly inpractical, he thought darkly, remembering the times Dudley and his gang managed to catch him during their hunts and break his glasses while punching him in the face.
    Dudley always thought it was a great laugh watching him stumple blindly around without his glasses.
    He who laughs last and so on …

Weakness (plus thoughts of revenge, Harry chuckled) ? Check.

As Harry stood at the frontdoor of his home, about to knock, he thought about the last point on his relativly short list.
    It was always the same point.

He lacked an archenemy.

I know it isn't much, but just imagine the possibilities.

A young Harry trying to copy the abilities (within reason) of various Superheros.

Professor X's form of Legilimency, Jean Grey's telekinesis or the ability to hover. (Lily Evans managed to slow her fall from a swing as a kid and Harry is Voldemort's equal = limitless potential)

He could use his skills to "terrorize" Dudley in school or be swayed to the darkside. :cool:

Those are just ideas not rules or restrictions !

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Your idea is fucking retarded.

Want some advice?

What you've written is a way of opening the story. Narrow it down a bit. Dictate directions of where you want the story to go and for god's sakes, don't have this fic be a Superhero!Harry.

3. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

You know, Phantom92, you haven't yet made a post that hasn't made me cringe and facepalm simultaneously. Why are you still here?

4. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

Your writing isn't bad in my opinion, I read it easily enough. But this isn't an idea to be expanded on. You need a plot. Make one, and it's not allowed to be one where Harry can fly and shoot lazer beams from his eyes at the age of 11.

5. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

This is just a small idea to build on.
    There are no rules or restrictions, I want people to write whatever they want to.

Btw who would read a story, if you already know what's going to happen?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Ok, I don't know what has everyone else so upset, but if this was done as a somewhat humorous fic, I'd read it. I don't mean a crack fic, parody or pure comedy either, you could do this seriously.

For a plot, the last line gives some ideas. He's 7 years old, his powers are limited, and he needs an archenemy, start with Dudley. Dudley is a bully, much bigger and stronger than Harry, and he can and probably will blame Harry for everything bad, and his parents would then punish Harry. There, nothing too over-the-top. So now we have an enemy Harry can consider to be 'evil' (he is 7 years old), with a way to exploit most of Harry's weaknesses, the super-hero-in-making would need to learn to be exceedingly sneaky with his limited powers.

A few years down the line, Harry has a better handle on his powers, he gets the Hogwarts letter, and by now he's pretty good at what he does and so Dudley is no more worthy of being his archenemy. He goes to Hogwarts, and despite finding the truth of his powers, decided that the world needs a superhero, or fuck it, he just likes being one too much and he's going to continue it. In Diagon Alley, he meets Draco Malfoy, is again reminded of Dudley, and this time the enemy is a wizard too, Harry imagines he has the same kind of powers as himself and starts being careful again.

By the end of year one, Draco could be kept as a major 'enemy' or delegated to a minor villain level with Voldemort taking most of Harry's attention.

Please note that most of this idea is from the point of view of a kid, who might easily consider a bully 'evil', make him his archenemy, and seriously work to 'foil the villains dastardly plans'. It could be a semi humor fic, with a lot of area to be expanded in. Other kids could be brought in with their own super-hero identities. A Harry working real hard to be a Hero could really be a great wizard. Hell, this is one place where him thinking to be a slytherin to 'infiltrate the dark-underworld' would actually work, without being totally retarded or making him seem much older than his age.

Just some ideas to get it started, and now I'm really starting to hope someone picks this up.

7. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

When I started reading this challenge, I was reminded of this, but I'm still not convinced that the idea would work as a longer, more serious fic. Maybe if it was a humour fic with Harry basically doing things similar to canon actions (as in, nothing more 'heroic' than what he did in the books) with a superhero twist, then it could work out. A real superhero Harry is, well, not too promising imo.