1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, I'll play both, but simultaneously? Probably not. You can only have so many 'side games'.

HS will get my attention when new PvE shit comes out, Overwatch probably likewise depending on how they roll out content.

None of that matters to Blizzard though, because I'll still be in the ecosystem.

2. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

I play all blizzard games and drift from one to other, so I am worried that eventually blizz will give us too many title to play without new blood coming in. This game is probably the best game blizzard made in last 10 years (better then D3 or SC2) so I want it to be a big success so more ppl might play other games, especially SC2.

Hearthstone I don't count as it seems that it is mostly on mobile.

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The people being attracted by Overwatch really aren't the same players who would play SC2. Unless Legacy of the void turns out to be incredible SC2 is gonna see an inevitable decline in players, Overwatch being popular isn't gonna affect that.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Would think Overwatch would poach from TF2, if anything. And even there, the TF2 fanbase is pretty loyal

5. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

More importantly, TF2 is free-to-play. Going to be hard for a $40 title to steal players away from it, especially with the looming possibility that heroes after launch will cost more money.

6. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Overwatch was a blast again this year, though chogall on Heroes was the greatest thing I got to do this weekend.

Genji mostly throws ninja stars- his q is what brings out the sword,, and I had a real hard time actually killing people with it. Ice girl was more fun, and surprisingly Tanky too.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I'd be perfectly okay never using the sword. All I want are the shuriken, reflection and double jump.

Btw, if my crush on Tracer wasn't strong enough already, her having aviators with her Origin skin... :3

How long did you get to play?

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    base game as digital download for PC is 40€, honestly, 20 € for a few skins and a bunch of crap for other games I am not playing hardly seems worth it.

Anyone knows if preordering means a greater chance to make it into the beta?

9. abcdefg

abcdefg Squib

I don't think it does. They haven't said anything concrete, but they have said there won't be any early access with the origins version. If there was an increased chance they probably would have mentioned it.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Sigh. 90 aud spent for a game that won't be out for another 7 months.

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I can honestly say that I would prefer it it was some kind of animation show based on the cinematic trailer. Another MOBA just makes me go meh.

12. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's not a MOBA though? The only element it really shares with MOBAs is each character having unique abilities but MOBAs weren't exactly the ones to invent that.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    The hype is real!

Blizzard also knows that they can string us along with the possibility of beta invites.

I know that's not how they work, but I still fucking bought it anyway because... maybe this time!

14. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I've spent about 10h on the Beta, and I can't really find a reason to pay for it.

It's TF2 with more classes but without the humor.

Blizzards latest paymodels does not leave me with hope. Most of their stuff is way overpriced.

15. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

I played it quite a bit this weekend, both at the con and at the house we rented.

Solider 76 is super good. Melee attacks feel hard to land. I love mercy.

16. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

I am really worried about this. Blizzard wants Overwatch to be e-sports but without enough ppl playing it might not make it (like SC2 is struggling).

I did not preoder yet cuz I might be getting collector edition. I just wished they would put in Tracer or Winston :) much more cooler looking models.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    The only thing I'm worried about is the language used. The way they say 'comes with 21 free characters' (paraphrasing) makes it sound like future characters won't be so 'free'.

I'm still betting on a dual currency system, with new heroes earnable with in-game currency (much like Street Fighter 5), but this all could very easily lead to balancing issues with the Hero Swap mechanic.

18. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

i would most definitely guess that it follows the dual currency route, rather then solely using money.

It's just a fun game- every character feels really different, and they all fit a different kind of niche gameplay. You won't make it far only playing one character, except Soldier 76 (who's archetype is basically standard fps character, down to even having aimbot be his Q).

I'm super shitty at fps, but since my most played character is Mercy, that doesn't matter. On larger maps (and especially with very aerial characters like Pharrah and Widowmaker) you have such absurd mobility as long as you can see your team. But the smaller the map gets, the weaker she becomes, and you may instead want a Lucio instead.

The really big thing though is how you can swap heroes on the fly (inside your base where you spawn, you can switch characters at any time in the match, all you lose is your Q%). Every character feels like a counter match to others (ie character A beats character B and loses to character C), like how Tracer absolutely wrecks Bastion but gets murdered by people who only need 1-2 shots to kill her. A lot of the matchs in game will swap around a lot to take advantage of shorter term goals I think (like on a two point capture map on offense, you would use Lucio for the first objective, but since the second one is much further away from your spawn, you could switch out Lucio and his speed aura for Symmetria with her teleporter), and gameplay will bounce around countering all the counters.

I found it a great way to pass the time, and I can see how it could be a really exciting esport to watch.

19. Ankan

Ankan Professor

So yea, I got in on the weekend beta. The game is really entertaining, although some heroes seems a bit overpowered. That might just be due to the lack of teamwork people have shown so far. Ofcourse it is still in beta stage so I shouldn't expect it to be balanced yet.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I've heard anecdotal evidence of opinions on balance doing a one-eighty the more you play.

Like Bastion and Torbjorn seemingly OP in the beginning, but very quickly understood as weak.

None of that disproves the 'balance issues' thing.

They released a video on their YT channel addressing balance issues, and said Bastion is due some radical changes in the new year.

Another thing I heard is that every character (supposedly) has a hard counter, minimising the impact of a lot of the problems.