1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Path of the King by Neoalfa - M - F/Stay Night

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by Probellum, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

D'oh. Ugh, I miss things like that so easily now, becaue of my chemo. Can't wait till it's over. Anyway, Arturia isn't the only one with green eyes. Though it most likely is... hmmm....

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

The Waver's memories bit probably won't do much other than add some context to what Shirou sees, as well as reducing the explanations needed to be given. As for Noble Phantasms, it won't really matter. Out of the Phantasms, both Arondight and Excalibur are fairy-swords and can't be Traced, Caster's Phantasm is a book, Assassin's NP was the multiple bodies, and Rider's NP although activated by a sword is actually a mount. Lancer's spears and Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon could be copied, but they won't accomplish much in the long run, since Shirou uses swords and he's going to run into the Gate of Babylon anyway.

3. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

That's pretty awesome Rin summoned Saber. I haven't seen that before.

4. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I thought Shirou/EMIYA couldn't trace Excalibur (Completely), not because it was made by Fairies (And if that kept him from tracing Noble Phantasms, then I'm sure he'd be down to a lot less of em) but because of what it represented, and the pure sacredness of it. You know, the whole "Crystallization of mankind's prayer known as 'Glory,'" thing. Arondight, while a counterpart, is probably a lot less...expansive, in comparison. Also, the whole corruption thing.

Also, Lancer's spears...one pierces through magic of any kind. You really don't think that'll be useful? And even if he does see GOB later on, it still means he'll have those Noble Phantasms for everyone else...eh w/e, I'm no too hung up about the whole thing. It'll still be better than FFD.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I was certain that Shirou/Archer can at the very least trace enough of Excalibur that they can do heavy damage with it. At least, in UBW Archer mentions he can.

6. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

In Fate/Extra, Archer can use a pale shadow of it. Never actually played that one, but I'm guessing it takes a lot of Prana to use, and it could also only be used in his Reality marble. Also pretty sure that's why EMIYA didn't use it in UBW-Route, he just didn't have the Prana. He'd have faded away immediately after use.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, someone saying they can do something is vastly different from actually doing it. He could have been bluffing, lying, or even honestly mistaken.

I don't know canon well enough to say for sure though, just pointing out the flaw in that argument.

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I don't think they're the Lying sort. Archer, maybe, but I doubt he was lying about that.

9. Karnath

Karnath First Year

When Shirou contracted Caster he used the full summoning ritual, Arturia was called but not fully summoned, she was pretty much lined up for whoever called a servant next.

10. Karnath

Karnath First Year

It updated

TSN
  11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Shirou can trace Avalon in its entirety, so by extension Archer could as well (this suggests Archer/Shirou have the potential to trace any weapon to 'perfection'). However, we don't know what explicitly happened during Archer's timeline, other than it was some botched combination of UBW and Fate routes. I think Shirou has the potential to trace any sword, maybe even Ea, with the right amount of practice and enough exposure to the original phantasm (in Ea's case, he'd probably need some tutoring on its composition and the right dire set of circumstances). Archer can most likely trace Excalibur, but it'll probably be a botched trace - something lower than C-rank; probably shatters easily. With the right drive I imagine he could do a proper tracing, Shirou has done bullshit in the past; it would probably kill him to use Excalibur like Saber does, however. This is all speculation on my part, but it fits with Archer's existing behavior and capabilities. As far as I'm concerned, Shirou has some kind of "mystical" origin, he was "born" in that fire of the Grail, for all we know, he might actually be the reincarnation of some kind of hero. I think it's safe to treat his capabilities as something above things other characters, especially normal magi, assert.

Also, the latest chapter was great, even if there was a lot of "recap" in it.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Not much besides Shirou's reveal about being a Magus/Magecraft User and the Tainted Grail, but IMO, it was done fairly well. Still eagerly awaiting his trip to Misaki though. I need more action!

EDIT:
    Now that I think of it, that'd actually be a cool way for EMIYA to have died; using Excalibur and being so drained he was run through by who ever survived. Probably not what he did tough, as it wouldn't the smart thing, and thus does not fit EMIYA's MO.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  13. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ea is beyond Shirou/Archer's ability to replicate because it exists beyond their comprehension and outside of their usual reality.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

From what I understand the only reason he can project it is because Avalon is implanted inside of him. So yeah, sure, it's made by fairies and is a conceptual weapon of the highest order, but it actually exists within him, so he can properly grasp its structure. It's not like he's just using structural analysis and understanding it that way. Assuming Archer at one point during his time surrendered or lost Avalon, I don't think he can project it.

And yeah, it was a good chapter. Interested to see how this little side story turns out, given that the war is starting to pick up. And whether we'll see Counter Guardian EMIYA be summoned at all and who by.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

If Archer does show up, which I actually doubt, Sakura should be the one to summon him. Otherwise, it'll put Archer in a position where there won't be that much conflict...? Since, he'll just manipulate his master into doing what Shirou/Rin want anyway.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

That's assuming he doesn't see it as an opportunity to do what he wanted to do in the UBW route - kill Shirou.

Imagine if he ended up with Kotomine Kirei. Now that could be interesting - particularly if Kirei found out who he really was (though I don't think Gilgamesh would let him live if he traced anything from his treasury).

17. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I feel like everything was resolved too neatly this chapter. There was really no conflict, just a bit of an infodump and an "oh, okay."

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I do agree to some extent. I'd have loved it if the "Shirou being a magus and a Master" reveal for Rin was in a more climatic battle situation. It seemed like something that was well built up towards.

But given the way he approached her, I think she acted in character. She already knows him and his ideals, so it's not surprising she accepts his word so easily without conflict.

19. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It is nice when not everything has to be super dramatic or over the top. Some times people talk in a decent manner and stuff is explained. I also decided I will read this story, but only from this chapter onwards and reading the reviews in this thread.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, read this story and it is a good one, with a new spin on things, a healthy exploration of non grail war subplots and a healthy build up for the war and the servants, while holding the tone of the epicness that are Servants and the wars they engage in.

Also like how Waver is integrated into this and that Saber ends up as Rin's servant which, in my opinion, is pretty much the perfect combination of having a worthy Master who deserves to summon a heroic spirit and an awesome Servant, who is strong enough to win the war for that Master. Especially since it kind of hinted towards a Rin/Saber relationship, which I haven't seen that often.

However, it does contain a lot of Shirou wank. It is just weird to me how people seem to love this character so much for reasons I absolutely I can't understand. So, a story build around him is automatically a bit grating, since Shirou, slightly improved though he may be, is still an annoying and selfrighteous douche who "falls" into skills, items and abilities way above his competence way too easily. I just plain dislike how Shirou's "uniqueness" and perseverance can, despite all claims and assurances to the contrary, often within these types of stories, lift him on a similar level of that of a servant.

That said, it is far better than other stories of this mold, I like where this story is headed, although, I would appreciate if the pacing sped up a little, we still have only three servants and it might take four-five months of in-story time to get the rest and while I like the non HGW stuff, I am way too psyched about the Master-Servant combinations of this story, since they promise some interesting team-ups. For one, I would be incredibly disappointed if Waver wouldn't be a Master again and team up with Rider once more. Then there is the question whether or not Emiya is going to make an appearance. Either Sakura or Kirei would be curious and fascinating combinations that should make for awesome scenes. Then, of course, there is the question whether or not Ilya summoned Hercules or another Berserker altogether.

Naturally, there is also the issue whether or not Saber will deduce that Shirou has Avalon and whether or not they will discuss Kiritsugi since Saber, even if she now understands his betrayal better, still hates the man and I would like to see that addressed.

So, yeah, despite the unfortunate choice in Shirou as the main character, and despite the fact that I just don't like Caster all that much, still a good story with solid writing and interesting and original ideas.

4/5 so far.

Last edited: May 19, 2013