1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC/PS4] No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I haven't found any underwater, so I can't say for certain this is how you fix it...

But there is a door. And it is locked.

The door needs destroying. Either with boltcaster, or grenades.

I've now got my second ship - it was 200K, had an extra three storage slots, and saved me walking back to my old base.

I then found out you can call ships to you at certain locations.

A bit miffed I don't get to change the way the ship looks at all, but I can only assume that'll be coming in a patch in the near future.

I have WAYYY too much plutonium now. It sells at a decent enough price, and I can use it for powering nearly everything, but I need to get rid of it.

Also, I'm now betrothed to a Vy'keen. As a dowry, I got 1000 credits, some cloth, a 'candid photo', and the recipe for improving my jetpack. Overall, I think it went quite well. But it shall have to be a loveless marriage, because I don't know which system I got betrothed in, so I don't think I can ever find my alien space 'babe' ever again.

TSN
  2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Think this might be one I save for the 75% off sale whenever it hits that point. Nothing I see or hear about the game makes me think I need to absolutely pick this up immediately. The opposite, really, I'll wait for it to be fixed. =/

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've seen an underwater abandoned building once too with no entry. I just moved on.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I deleted my save file (and unsynced from the cloud), because I wanted to start again, but actually play, rather than chase Atlas - my first several planets have only one or two species found on each, because I was trying to complete what I thought was the 'tutorial', of getting to the Atlas system. Also, the preorder ship has 16 slots, and my current one has 20. I have no desire to go down, but I'm not going to be getting a new ship for a while.

My new first planet is quite nice - damp, low agression sentinels, and quite a chunk of wildlife. Time to begin anew.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started playing last night. Had a problem with it crashing before I could play but I found a fix. I spawned on a really hot, rocky planet with these guys called the Gek everywhere, and I've just been exploring really. Piloting the ship is a little wonky to me, but I've been playing ARMA III nonstop for the past few months so maybe I've just been spoiled.

Like I said, I have little expectation from the game, but I've been having fun so far.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My personal experience has been touching on each of the major points in the game bit by bit more than concentrating on getting to the center of the universe or crafting every exosuit/ship discovery. I found a planet with very little sentinel activity and tons of gold and started mining it like crazy, selling it in the hopes of buying one of the 1.5 million credit ships (I have a little over a million right now) that I've found in space stations.

After that, I'll upgrade my other stuff and try and journey a bit more. I usually find 5species or so per planet, but only if I take a while to go to different spots. You will have to spend multiple hours on each planet to locate most of the animals/fauna/flora/monoliths. I think its cool that you simply hit waypoints and get credit for discovering places.

The game has crashed once or twice (one time, I died and was respawned in space but it was like I was underwater) but nothing that's caused a rage fit yet.

For people that haven't bought it and are thinking about it, I guess waiting a bit to see some updates/fixes and expansions isn't the worst idea but I'm horribly thrilled every time I play the game. Maybe I've tricked myself because of the hype behind this game but I have a lot of fun playing it even without interacting with other players (which is one of the few flaws within this system they have... it's this galactic sandbox capable of housing billions of planets but not one other person).

7. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

I've had a similar experience to Averis, in that I'm not trying to reach the endgame or progress very rapidly, I'm just trying to have as much fun as possible whilst playing the game. When I warp into a system I try to visit around three of the planets in the system and I recently found an incredibly interesting planet.

There's no life on it whatsoever and it's quite hostile but it has a huge underground network of caves and tunnels full to the brim with Vortex Cubes. I've spent about 3 hours collecting the cubes, travelling to the space station to sell them and then heading back to repeat the cycle. I've made close to 9 million credits so far.

While the game would be fun with multiplayer, I'm not too bothered as I'm having enough fun just playing it on my own.

EDIT: Friend of mine found a black hole which is pretty cool as I didn't even know they would be in the game.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

And I've heard other people saying that it can't even run on a bunch of AMD cards because it contains commands not in those cards' instruction sets. Unsure if that's true, because, well, Reddit is hardly a reliable source, but people have been struggling with it on both sides of the aisle.

More realistically, it was tested twice, in someone's garage, before they realized they had 15 minutes to get their build to Steam.

I really, really liked the game when I played it on my friend's PS4, so I bought it, but after twenty minutes of struggling to get it run at a playable framerate, I just got my refund. I'll probably wait a month or six before picking this up again. I don't know that I've been this disappointed in a PC port since Dark Souls.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Porting is just the lazy way.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

So, T-rex sized duck, or 100 duck sized T-rexes?!