1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

Jan 24, 2014
    United States of Trump
    The only thing worse is seeing an author use “sweatdrop” “facefault” (I think that’s it) or “tic mark on the forehead” as legitimate parts of their writing.
  2. Redeye Reprisal

Redeye Reprisal Squib

Jan 12, 2018
  3. blob

blob Fourth Year

Jul 29, 2011
    Two things that likely color my opinion a lot:
    - I read it not knowing HxH, so not really caring or even knowing about the characters or the setting from that side.

- There's also the fact that I despise Hinata above literally every single character in the series and she is sort of the main character here. I don't really care for Shino either way; Kiba is ok.
    BUT I read very, very few fics in which they are adults (and post-Shippuuden in general), so this being coupled with the fact that Not Sick is the tits made me give it a shot, especially since Hinata's age should handily fix most reasons for my loathing of her.

The story itself is well written, but not much happened to make an impact on me so far. Team 8 arrived, talked and joined up with some local guys, killed some ants, then got banged up a bit and recently came back for more, but then some bad shit happened.

The fact that the antagonists are a bunch of sentient mutant ants isn't the best, since ants are... well, ants, mutated or not. This makes it kind of difficult to really feel much for it, and my lack of knowledge about HxH doesn't help. Fight scenes are decent, but not nearly as good as Not Sick due to the characters taking part in them.

The story is too short to make me care about characters from HxH. The only thing I found truly engaging was the part with HxH talking about their mysterious allies and whatever the Chairman (?) suspected of their civilization.

I would probably like the story a whole lot more if it had any characters I cared about, but alas. I'd recommend it if you know HxH or like Team 8 for some inexplicable reason. If neither applies - give it a chance if you have some time, but don't expect too much.
  4. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Auror

Oct 23, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    The Chimera Ant arc in HxH is quite possibly the best arc in all of anime . Only problem with it is the pace. It takes roughly 50 episodes to build and most of the enjoyment comes from the characters growing. I read this recently enough and got up to around chapter 7-8 but nothing's stuck with me. The team 8 character interaction didn't interest me much really.
  5. kinetique

kinetique Groundskeeper

Aug 16, 2013
    Chimera ant arc truly is fantastic. This story is not unfortunately. Team 8 does absolutely nothing for me, and while I appreciate the effort to bring in less focused on characters into the story, the execution simply doesn't interest me as of yet.

Still though, the Chimera ant arc was long and brilliant by the end, maybe this can be too.