1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding the Potter fortune

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Vulcan, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Looking for the stories where Harry learns that Poter fortune was diminished because of the war/mismanagement, and intends to rebuild it.
    -) No quick fixes, like getting millions of Galleons as a compensation for some wrongdoing.
    -) It should require a lot of effort on Harry's part, not just ordering the Goblins to do something.

2. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Midnight Gold is about this, but I read and enjoyed it before I had much exposure to fanfiction. I suspect it didn't age too well.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

We've discussed stuff like this a few times. The thing is it's hard to make money in the wizard world, there is not a lot of commerce and everything seems rather cheap.

Making money from mugged would be much easier.

4. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

I can't honestly tell if you're saying it would be easier to make money by mugging people, or that it would be easier to make money off muggles. I guess both would be fairly strange to read about, although it's curious why we don't see too many cases of wizards using magic to render the manufacturing process more cost-effective.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My guesses:

1. JKR didn't include it in canon.
    2. Most stories have Harry <17, which is an odd age to get into it.
    3. It's rare that including it would actually add to the story, unless you plotted your story out specifically to showcase your ideas regarding it.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I prefer to think that JKR sucks at maths and that magical items are very valuable.

For example if you make a gallon worth 50 pounds instead of five, suddenly Ollivanders selling 50 odd wands per year makes sense from a business point of view and makes sense from an artisan cost point of view.

---------- Post automerged at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Anyway, rebuilding the Potter fortune usually ranks up their with the worst of the worst indy!Harry fics.

7. Darthlawyer

Darthlawyer First Year

High Score:
    There is some rebuilding the Potter fortune in the Heritage series.

I agree that Rowling probably was bad at math. The one time the weasley vault is seen in book 2 they get out a little money and seem to be able to buy school supply's for 5 children those coins should be worth a lot more than 5 Pounds.

8. syed

syed Supermod

There was this story I read where Harry reading his family journals got the impression that every time the family fortunes ran low, the cloak was used to allow the potter in charge to be a gentleman thief. He got this idea as there were extensive notes in the books, that augemented the cloak, allowing the wizard to simply walk into any magically defended location. I could imagine further on in that story, the death eaters would suffer a huge reversal of fortunes, As their holdings are looted.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The amount of money a wizard could make among muggles, with nothing but "Reparo," is potentially staggering. And the item isn't magical when you're done, so it's all perfectly Statute of Secrecy friendly.

Blood purists would never touch it, because it involves interacting with/depending on muggles, and scrounging in muggle cast-offs.

I think I recall a story where Harry made some money magically repairing a car or something. That may or may not be the same story where Harry bought a junked motorcycle and repaired it for himself.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

It's a rather common trope.

Harry the Hufflepuff is the story that comes to mind straight away, but only because I reread it recently.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I read in one about how a witch cleaned a shit ton of muggle houses a day and made easy bank. I don't really remember the story, though.

12. BlackLadyAnna

BlackLadyAnna Squib

High Score:
    I have read tons of fics where Harry goes to Gringots and finds that Dumbledore stole his money becouse of his status as his "magical guardian" and hidden Potter's will. Naturally it's Dumbledore!bashing and usually also Weasley!bashing and I hate bashing in general so as soon as I sniff it I quit reading.
    Then Harry gets his own Gringots advisors and starts investing and in few months he is the riches kid in GB.
    I guess it's neither worth reading nor what you wanted...

13. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Like I said in the description, I don't want quick fixes and the dependence on Helpful!Goblins.

14. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Links please guys. These sound pretty good.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have seen quite a few stories where the Malfoy wealth (and often also the Potter wealth) is based on land and housing rent out to muggles, with the contacts handled by squibs. As a consequence one of the goblins' sources of income is transfering money between both worlds.

It is an interesting concept and quite logical, considering that until the 18th century wealth was almost equal to land ownership. Sadly it's mostly badly written.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm no economics major, but surely if every muggleborn made bank by becoming Mr/Mrs Fix Its, the value of muggle currency would just tank, right?

I think the thing that annoys me the most about these stories is authors thinking they're clever with their little Kramer-esque get rich quick schemes that apparently nobody else thought of.

If you wanna be clever, have Harry exploit the Wizarding World's dated legal system. I can see them not having an FTC, or a proper gambling commission or even strict drug laws (Hermione the Chemist, amirite?).

Actually, can someone just go write a story where the Trio plus Neville become drug lords in school? The OOTP need resources for the war, yo.

17. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Almost certainly not, the UK's economy can probably absorb a few more millionaires.

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean the value of it to Goblins and other Wizarding folk. If everyone's rocking up to Gringotts with tens of thousands of pounds from repairing Ferraris...

19. syed

syed Supermod

The story with the harry that believes some potters were gentleman thieves is called school spirit. It is about a Harry who grew up dreaming about Harry Dresden, so styled his magic on that. Merging that lore with wand lore. Unfortunately the author never finished

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2724485/StoryEnvy

20. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10724650/1/Death-Before-Dishonour

I believe Harry is a Slytherin and built up some kind of gambling/drug ring in Hogwarts to finance something or other. Seems abandoned though.