1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 HDMI Connection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Peace, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I've been told that I can connect my Tab 3 to the TV using a HDMI cable and watch stuff I've downloaded on it that way but nothing I try works. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I'm about 99% sure that I'm missing something simple.

Cheers

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Get a Chromecast.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I never got mine working either [Galaxy Tab S] and ended up just using a Chromecast to stream video to the TV.

I assume that you're trying to use the Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) with a Micro USB to HDMI cable. Unfortunately there's a major caveat. Cables ain't cables.

You have to be 100% sure that you've got the right cable for your device.

eg. My favourite cable supplier in Australia has two different MHL Micro USB to HDMI Video Out Adapters for sale. They look identical. Are made by the same company. Have the same price. But they aren't interchangeable:

1. This one apparently works with most ordinary smartphones, but not the Google Nexus, or a large swathe of Samsung's stuff.
    2. This one does work with Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Note 8.0, but not the LG Nexus 4, and there's no mention of Google's other Nexuses either.

You'd think that Samsung would make things clear, but no. They have at least three different Micro USB to HDMI adapters in their store with no immediate indication of which one you need.

tl;dr: Double check that you've got the correct version MHL adapter for your Tab 3. Don't trust sales people. Check for yourself.

Oh, and make sure that your MHL adapter is powered up. They all seem to want a separate power source plugged into the side of the HDMI socket.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

Cheers Yak, that's about what I figured from a couple of forums I checked but I was hoping I was wrong.