1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Kies Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cas, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

Hey all,

Last night whilst drunk, I dropped my galaxy s3 and broke the screen, and there's nothing happening at all, just a black screen.

I can turn it on, and it seems to work fine (apart from the screen) because it keeps telling me that I have missed calls/messages.

I went out and bought a galaxy s4 today, and have managed to recover all the old messages off my s3 and pictures, but every time I try to recover WhatApp conversations, this comes up:

[​IMG]

The small box says: This item cannot be restored to the connected device.

I've got WhatsApp on the s4 so not sure why it's not working.

Any ideas on how I can recover the conversations?

Cheers

Joe

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

3. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

WhatsApp backup it's messages regularly. So if you have access to your S3's memory card, just copy the WhatsApp folder into S4 and open WhatsApp in the phone

Edit: Also yeah, Kies is a shitty piece of software . So for future purposes, use some software like Helium or Titanium to backup your apps and data.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

Ha I wouldn't say work, it's the slowest thing my laptop has ever run (beside Rome 2).

You sir, are a star, well half a star at least. I got all the pictures and videos across, but none of the actual message chat. Any ideas on what I can do to get this back?

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You might find the message content on your internal memory on the Samsung rather than the SD card. You need to move it to the same folder on your S4. Apparently this is a common issue with transferring WhatsApp between Samsung phones.

There should also be 7 days of backup files in WhatsApp. New backups are created at 4am every day.

I'm getting a new Android. How do I move my chat history over?
    You can't create a new backup because of the broken screen obviously, but using the same instructions for one of the pre-existing backups should do the same thing.

I accidentally deleted my chats! Can I get my messages back?
    How to restore from your backup file.

Any file explorer/transfer program will do. No need to use Kies specifically.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I cant get it to transfer crap right. Though to be fair, I was trying to use it to wirelessly load a shitton of ebook files I'd "acquired" onto it. I guess if I was transferring music and stuff it'd be okay. It constantly pops up even when I've told it to piss off, takes forever to start and synch, and then actually synchs nothing.