1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Smallville

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, May 6, 2005.

1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Green arrow could work as its own but I don't know if the show could shrug off the taint of smallville unless smallvilles final season so overwhelms us with awesome, that we forget about its original crap.

The Zod storyline should have been what Lex's relationship with Clark should have been.

The later Zod, not the LexZod. That was the entire premise of the show. What if Clark and Lex were friends. They got that off the first season, but then they lost their way.

I keep thinking they're going to do a mindwipe or time wipe of everything and have Clark be the only one who remembers anything. Just to account for all the change.

@hashasheen; Where you at now? What season have you got to yet or episode.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Hopefully. Green Arrow is just a lot more charismatic and into his role than Tom Welling as Superman at times.

Indeed. It pissed me off, because you could actually believe it.

If they time-wipe Lana and bring back Alicia, I'll be happy.

Just finished up to the latest episode. Darkseid isn't impressing me. So much wasted potential in this series.

3. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Darkseid no, I'm hoping for more when he actually reveals himself.

But you gotta admit, Clark had a big turnaround this season. He is more inline with what he should have been 5 seasons ago.

Getting rid of old Lex and Lana did seem to have a major boost in character development.

4. Hashasheen

Indeed. Though this VRA smacks of Marvel. :facepalm

Very true.

Lana more so than Lex. I swear, how that actress got so much time on the show and so many storylines devoted to her boggles the mind.

5. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh god, I used to watch this show religiously... right up until season five or six. I think I suffered my way through season 5, but that was kind of the limit of what I could tolerate. Honestly, I hate to say it, but I think season three was really the last season that I truly enjoyed. I liked the addition of Lois in season four, but it seemed like everything else kind of suffered. Especially after Jonathan died, for some reason.

But yeah, my favorite character was Lex, before he started getting all crazy Lana obsessed (and don't even get me started on her). It kind of seems like now there's no one left from the original cast except for Clark and Chloe, which sucks. :/

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Fixed that for you.

Chloe was one of the only consistently good things in this series. She had her ups and downs but she has stayed mostly true to form. Plus I think she actually got hotter with age.

I pretty much had a two year gap where I couldn't take anymore. About the time bizarro clark showed up.

I only got suckered in after watching the final episode promos which always looks better than the entire preceding season.

7. Hashasheen

I don't know, she really didn't change much besides hair-styles over the years. But indeed, her actress played the role to perfection.

8. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

But what about Lex? And Lionel? And Pete? Well, Pete kind of sucked, but that's just because the writers apparently have never had a normal friendship, and didn't know what to do with him. And then Clark's parents both departed the series... The only person who I was pleased to see go was Lana, and she hung around for way too long. But the Lex/ Lionel element of the show was a huuuge part of why I watched.

9. Hashasheen

You mean not every friendship which has a major secret revealed ends up with one of the friends street-racing? :awesome

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Lionel was bad ass but then they had that weird Martha Lionel thing going on which threw his Mojo off completely.

Don't even get me started on Veritas.

Lex was kinda cool the first season but then he became too needy.

Plus he took Clarks sloppy seconds(Lana) and decided to jump to the evil category almost overnight.

He was only cool after he went evil or when he was proving himself good.

All the ambiguous stuff was too dramatic.

Pete was wasted.

11. Hashasheen

Newest episode is kinda annoying. I won't give any spoilers because some people might not have watched it yet, but goddamn I'm sick of the filler shit. I wish they'd just get on with the real storyline and bring in Darkseid already. How many episodes do they have left?

12. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I find this show awesome-maybe a little dragged out-but awesome nonetheless.

I always felt Chloe was a tiny bit on the marysue side at times, but that's probably just me.

13. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Chloe is a very low key mary-sue.

Smallville has been a trainwreck pretty much since season 4 introduced the magic crystals arc. There have been enjoyable moments, but the writers turned the thing into a lifetime soap opera. They've also butchered the Superman story almost beyond recognition.

Ultimately, Smallville was a show I really wanted to be good, so much so that I believed it for a pretty long while. However, the end of season 7 was the one that clinched it. Smallville is an awful show that has ventures into the realms of incoherency with small moments of enjoyability. It's over-reliant on kryptonite (read: Magical MacGuffin) as a plot device, its characters are incredibly whiny, its story-arcs are puerile rehashes of DC comics canon or they're completely incomprehensible (or a ghastly mixture of both), and they've managed to entirely miss the point of what Superman is actually about. I watched a few recent episodes, and wanted punch the writers. Hard. In the kidneys.

I mean, "Dark Thursday"? Come on.

14. Hashasheen

I'm done. I've had enough of Smallville writers horning in every single DC character they could find into what is supposed to be the story of Clark Kent becoming Superman.

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Oh, yes. With only 3 episodes left in the series, now is the perfect time to quit watching,

16. Hashasheen

Please. They'll probably end up giving Smallville another season to torture us with filler and Clark getting progressively dumber. That or we're getting two or three spin-offs for the JL, Gold & Beetle and all the other inserted DC heroes. :facepalm

17. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Clark won't fly in the finale.... but Batman will! :p

18. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

That kind of bugged me/impressed me with this series. They brought in all these no name brand super heroes from the dc universe, but they left out two of the big three.

The closest we came to even knowing about them was the one line Chloe gave
    Even then, how the hell does she know anything about Bruce Wayne or the amazon hidden island that should barely even exist as myth at this stage in the smallville universe.

They either should have devoted a storyline to them or ignored them in favor of not part of the series scope.

I'm watching it now for closure. But I will admit, its a better series by far than 70 % of its prior episodes.

If its going down, atleast its going down strong, in retrospect.

I wouldn't put it past the CW execs to extend it one more season or make a new series and call it metropolis. Or try and do a repeat and do bruce wayne and call the story Gotham. Joker is actually his unfortunately unfunny room mate at some prep school... as he tries to deal with his recent parental loss and greedy corporate espionage, as people try to steal his familial heritage from under his nose... Actually that sounds kinda cool.

Dibs! I get credit for the idea.

19. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I'm pretty sure Oliver Queen was inserted because they couldn't get Batman. I'm not quite sure whether the person explaining it ever went in-depth but I got the impression it was one of 2 things:

1-Common sense- Smallville started off as a light-hearted high-school prequel, there was no reason for Batman to exist back then, any method they used (aging Batman) would seem forced. And-at the time anyway- it was a show about Clark Kent, trying to fit Bruce Wayne in there and do him justice when the Clark/Lex dynamic and the Clark/Lana relationship were sucking screen-time like a black whole just wasn't possible. Plus it would be pure shite.

2- They simply didn't have the rights, which I feel is the most likely, since it explains both the past and present lack of the Bat and Wonder Woman.

I haven't watched an episode of this season since
    Hawkman died
    died, simply because I don't really give a fuck any more. They should have set a deadline on the series a long time ago, hopefully it would force them to cut the shit -apparently this worked with LOST- but it's time for the show to end. CW need to stop pushing the defibrillator. Hopefully someone can stop them from doing the same to Supernatural.

20. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Wat.

You do realize that if this show happens, CW will eviscerate it and hang its bloody carcass up by its intestines right? So clearly Bruce Wayne will have Robin McBlank as his trusty sidekick- a girl with limitless ability to spout exposition, and Blacky Blackenstern (played by Morgan Freeman) who will be his uncomic relief. Alfred will be played by Tim Curry, and turn out to be a space alien from France who helped found Veritas. His parents turn out not to be dead, but secretly conspiring to take over the world from the shadows.

This is the demon you spawned.