1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Sphere of Influence by Orodruin - T - Naruto/HP

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A Personal Matter & Sphere of Influence by Oroduin

Edit: I forgot to add it in the actual title line, but this is a crossover between Naruto and Harry Potter. It stars Harry and takes place mostly in the Naruto-verse, also featuring Kakashi. Naruto does not have a large role as he's too young during most of these stories to be anything but a minor character.

This is a trilogy of stories and I suppose I'm recommending the trilogy, so I'll do the standard recommendation format for all three. I think the Alexandra Quick stories got combined instead of rated equally, so I'm just sort of going based on that.

I enjoyed the first story as a sort of guilty pleasure reading. Kakashi is around 12 and Harry is around 6. The premise is that through some kind of hand-wavy argument they're brothers. Harry is slightly needy and doesn't speak the language very well, but all in all I thought he was a fairly believable 6 year old. Kakashi is in-character mostly I think -- a prodigy at a young age and not a child in many ways despite his youth. It might be too tame or too contrived or too irritating in some ways for DLP members, which is why I was going to leave it in Almost Recommended, but when I found myself debating reading it again b/c I had liked it I decided to put it here.

Here's the sequel -- also complete. In this one Harry has become a Genin and is 13. He'd already turned down Hogwarts asking him to come to school a couple of times, but Dumbledore figures out a way to kidnap him b/c he feels that Harry is required if they are to win the war. Kakashi, who is ANBU at this point, ends up going along for the ride. This one seemed to be the most popular story with readers, as most of it takes place in the HP-world, but I personally preferred the first and third stories.

Title: Extending the Boundaries
    Author: Oroduin
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Set 4 years after Sphere of Influence, 1.5 years before Naruto canon. As he begins to come into his own, Harry Hatake must find a way to make a name for himself and break out of his brother's shadow. But the past won't be left behind and with old threats reemerging on every front, Harry may find he needs more help than ever.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6534243/1/Extending_the_Boundaries

Another sequel -- this one only a few chapters in. Harry is around 17 now and still isn't OP, thank goodness. Basically he's a normal Ninja in a village of Ninjas who has some special abilities that most don't know about. He takes on a student as an instructor (a single student instead of a 3man team) because the student is suspected to have magical ability and Harry is the only trained Ninja with experience in that area. It's not an OC, but I won't ruin the surprise on who it is.

So, that's it. Overall I'd rate the series at 4/5 because I really enjoyed the hell out of reading it. Does that mean it's DLP material? I have no idea on this one, honestly.

I will say that Harry never becomes Over-Powered. He's sort of like a Jack-of-all-Trades in that he can use Genjutsu/Ninjutsu/Taijutsu reasonably well, but he doesn't excel at it like Kakashi does. He's not a prodigy. He can also use magic, which the vast majority of ninja cannot, but it's implied that he's only of average strength there as well. Plus he only had one year of semi-formal Magic schooling and has been slowly teaching himself more in the time-skip between stories 2 and 3. In the third story he's trying to start developing techniques to combine magic with proper ninja combat.

If you find the first story to be slow given Harry's extreme youth (and that he acts his age mostly), then give the second one a try. I wouldn't suggest skipping it myself but it could be done. The only parts I had to skim through were the starts of some chapters in the first story when we are seeing flashbacks to James/Lily/Sakumo -- those got old quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Good recommendation - this is probably my favourite HP/Naruto crossover. The first, second & third parts each have different themes, which reflect both Harry's age & circumstance (child vs student vs mentor). The pace of the second one could have been a little better, it felt like it dragged on a bit when Kakashi was travelling the world and the fight with Volde & his DEs at the end felt a little rushed too. Solid 4.5/5 from me...

I've been looking forward to the latest part, specifically what type of interaction Harry & his student might with the WW, and to find out what exactly has been going on there. It would be in canon's 7th year. I'm not sure if the author is going to though, the 2nd part happened mostly there and his student can't speak English - so he'd have minimal contact this early in his education.

Edit: Happy to.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. Rym

Rym Auror

I haven't read it yet, but I'm extremely dubious about a story from the perspective of a six year old Harry Potter.

4. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

It's not like he's a chuunin like Kakashi at this point :p

The first part is mostly about him finding a place in a new/strange society; language barriers are an immediate issue. It never goes cutesy or sad/pathetic like a lot of the Severitus & it's ilk. Mind you, that might be a combination of the ninja society (they don't coddle) as well as the circumstances (Kakashi's a loner, there's a war going on). In that atmosphere, it's still written like he's a child though, not a miniature adult - so Harry's characterization is believable.

5. Ched

I agree with Greener's description of how it works. Harry does act his age, but apart from a scenes with people acting paternal it doesn't get cutesy/pathetic. The society he's in assumes he should be able to take care of himself if he's left home alone, etc.

As for being extremely dubious about reading a story from the perspective of a kid that young, well, I did say you could skip to the second story if if it turns you off that much. You miss a lot of background, but it is an entirely new story/plot and Harry is of a more protagonist-appropriate age by then (13).

Also, Greener, could you edit your post so as to not give away who Harry's student is in the third story? I actually really enjoyed the reveal on that and didn't want to give it away. It fit and really made sense from almost every angle.

Edit: Greener, did you rate the thread? I just did and it didn't look like anyone else had -- don't forget to do that! There's a button near the top.

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

It's been too long, with other things read in-between for me to accurately give a story-by-story rating, but I do remember enjoying this series.

Actually... upon further review, while I finished the first two, I haven't read the latest story at all, so I appreciate you bringing this series up, CheddarTrek.

While perhaps not fair, since I haven't read the latest yet(getting to it right after this), I will rate it a 4/5 based upon the previous, and I doubt the newest story would be enough to change that.

Once again, thanks for bringing this up, in regards to the latest entry in the series.

7. Ched

Bloody hell I'm a dumbass -- I searched the wrong thread/sub-forum to see if this had already been posted -- and it has.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=11586

Son of a bitch. Well maybe we can merge the threads instead, bloody hell. Sorry 'bout that, n00b mistake.

At least I got the new story in... I guess... >.>