1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spring 2016 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

The Spring 2016 season is rolling in, with some exciting titles in the line up. The list of anime coming out, along with their air dates, can be found here and, alternatively, here.

This season is full of cool titles - with everything from a new Gundam, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 to a Phoenix Wright adaption (oh my god, is this real life?).

Based on MAL's chart, the five biggest titles going into the season are:

1. Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season: The second season of Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, surprisingly (at least to me) is the most popular anime in the build up to the Spring season. I will admit, I only watched the first few episodes of the first season back in October before dropping it, so I have no idea if its popularity is well deserved (it's part of the harem and ecchi genre, so I'm not that optomistic).

2. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: Created by Wit Studio (known for creating Attack on Titan and Owari no Seraph), this is receiving a decent bit of hype. Seems to be following the typical Wit formula of "teenage male lead in a post apocalyptic grimdark setting". Unlike AoT and OnS, this isn't an adaption - but rather an original venture. Also, did I mention it's steampunk? Because it's steampunk.

3. Bungou Stray Dogs: I'll freely admit that I am pumped for this one, even if I haven't read the manga it's adapted from. It's a supernatural mystery focusing on an orphan who ends up joining a detective agency made up of detectives with special powers. It seems like it's going to be good (and the soundtrack sounds awesome, from what I've heard in the PVs).

4. Boku no Hero Academia: Gonna straight out recommend this to any fans of the superhero genre. Especially the American superhero genre. I'm a huge fan of the manga, and the anime is shaping up to be exciting. It's a super hero shounen anime. Just from that sentence alone, you should be able to tell if you'll like it or not.

5. Kiznaiver: Seems to be a Sci-Fi SOL, of the philosophical variety. It's based around the concept of the incomplete Kizuna system, which shares the pain between those that are part of the system - with the goal being to create world peace. I'm unsure as to how this'll turn out, but it has something of an interesting premise.

Personally, I'll be watching Boku no Hero Academia, the Phoenix Wright adaption, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Bungou Stray Dogs, Ushio no Tora Season 2, and Sailor Moon Crystal Season III.

So, what're you guys planning on watching this season? What are you most excited for?

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No Shokugeki season 2?!

3. Pure Infinity

Not for the spring season, no - it'll be airing this summer, specifically July.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You pwomise? o(TヘTo)

5. Pure Infinity

Yes.

I pwomise.

6. fire

fire Order Member

KnK and Mayoiga are the ones to watch out for this season. KnK is from the director of Death Note, and was written by the guy who came up with Code Geass - this has been awaited/hyped for a very long time, so it had better not disappoint.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Looking at that list Super Lovers is my pick. It looks deep, and will hit me right in the spot. A classic already by that picture I can tell.

The list does remind me I need to find an uncensored version of Terra Formars to watch if such a thing exists. Quit halfway through watching the original because the censoring was putting me off.

Beyond that the KnK show people are talking about, I will have to wait and see. Attack on Titan? Yes please. Owari no seraph? I'll pass. Hopefully if it follows one of them more closely it will be Attack on Titan.

I'll check out Hero Academy and Bongou aswell.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Jesus fucking hell, they never ever stop.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Some interesting stuff, but to be honest right now I'm waiting for Owarimonogatari season 2 and, something I only recently discovered though it was announced few months ago, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki season 4. Since apparently they aren't released in Spring, maybe Summer will be more lucky.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shitbox, Phoenix Wright anime? How does that even?

11. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Why is every harem light novel the same?

12. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Khan: from what we know so far, it's at least the first game. That said, I'm looking forward to the Phoenix Wright... dub. Because I just won't be able to watch it subbed, it'll always feel off. Going to watch Hero Academia and JoJo Part 4.

13. Pure Infinity

For the same reason a lot of books about magical schools came out after Harry Potter, and a lot of books about teenagers rebelling against an evil government came out after the Hunger Games. What's popular get's copied, and then done to death. And what's popular in the harem genre right now is "ultra nice but dense guy with a possibly dark past goes to a battle school set to a sci-fi/fantasy background, and builds a gigantic harem of women that like him for no discernible reason. Also the main character is a bad ass." The worst part is that people eat it up.

Hell, I eat it up. The stories are pretty much all the same, so it's easy to jump into a new series and not think about anything that happens. Proven formulas are just that, after all - proven. They work. What's the point in writing something original *cough*Oregairu*cough* if you can sell just as much - if not more - by copy-pasting what everyone else does?

14. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    Huh, how many titles... I always was lazy and looked only for translations. Now I wonder if it is why I didn't find anything interesting during last seasons...
    Tread of scientist seems insteresting. Watching superheros is more and more boring.

Histories featuring past have wonderful climat most of time (or if they are just old - for me work the same) and words like military, manipulation and antihero encourage me even more to try it.
    Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (TV) - I'm going to at least glimpse few episodes. Magi was fun and it was quite pleasant to look at. Sindbad wasn't my favourite character so I hope it won't be too hard to endure him as a protagonist.

Rest seem similiar to these few I seen before. But I'm not going to lose hope of something original. :|

15. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Bracing for impact from:

• KnK - the credentials fire listed are enough to get me hyped
    • Bungou Stray Dogs - the trailer/teaser was pretty great animation-wise, as was the soundtrack
    • Joker Game - the setting and premise make this one interesting

In all, more than I expected to tide me over until the summer season arrives.

16. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

17. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is probably what I'm going to keep watching:
    • JoJo. Because it's JoJo, I couldn't not watch it.
    • something Netoge something something. I sympathize with the anti-normie struggle. Also I'm a sucker for this kind of thing for some reason.
    • Kiznaiver. Curious to see where this goes, but it could turn really dumb really fast.
    • Boku no Hero. Been avidly following the manga, so it's a given I'll be watching it. Lord knows I need my shonen fix with Haikyuu ending.

I'll give Sakamoto a second chance, but the humour kind of fell flat - something seems to have wrong in the conversion from manga to anime.

EDIT: Forgot to add Re:Zero. First episode was good, though the summary kinda spoiled the twist beforehand. But I might not have watched it otherwise, so who knows.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. Rehio

High Score:
    Academia - Wanted to watch this so much, but I have Crunchy and not Funimation. Sad times.

Bungou - A lot more humor than I was expecting. Will continue.

Mayoiga - Creepy shit, let's see how this pans out.

Re:Zero - I enjoy it. I haven't tired of the "Protog traveling to another universe" trope yet, so I can still like it. Bonus points - I hear the author of this series is a sadistic motherfucker, and we will be going to some dark places.

Onmyouji - Enjoyed the manga. Kind of a standard shounen with decent characters. Not horrible.

Hundred - I'm not even going to do the whole "three episodes" thing. God, I hate these more and more.

Cerberus - Not sure what to make of this. Feels like "Edgy swordsman, the Anime," but there are hints of self-awareness that make me wonder if it'll be okay. Also, Harry Potter scars.

Ushio and Tora - Yep. Still awesome.

Still planning to see Kiznaiver at some point, but there were so many preview videos that I wasn't even sure where to start.

Everything else I'm either not interested in, or I can't view because licensing. Bleh.

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nothing interesting for me this season, it seems. Meh at best.

20. Rehio

High Score:
    Got around to watching Kiznaiver. I am really not sure what to make of it. Strangely enough, I got FLCL vibes watching parts of it. The animation, I think?

I'm pretty intrigued, but it's like a lot of the others in that we can only wait and see if they're going to try and create an actual story.