1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Is As Stupid Does by sugerplumfairy - K+ - HP/BZ

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Zevrillion, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Title: Stupid Is As Stupid Does
    Author: sugerplumfairy
    Rating: K+
    Pairing: HP/BZ
    Category: General/Romance
    Summery: Everything was going fine for Blaise, good grades, good summer, hell she even got through a day without arguing with her Mother, but when she gets back to Hogwarts, unpleasent surprises seem to follow her around, the DADA teacher and being made to partner Harry Potter.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3370272/1/

An interesting story. A little bit slow sometimes but otherwise very good. It hasn’t been that much romance yet but hopefully more will come soon.

2. Silke

Silke Second Year

I love this story!
    But then again i love all HP/BZ(fem) so i'm biased.

Intresting fic if a tad bit slow.

I'll follow it and see where it goes though, more Harry/(fem)Slytherin!!

Off topic: Has anyone seen Harry/older (fem)slytherin?

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I haven't seen Harry/older fem!Slytherin because we don't even know who is in the older grades of Slytherin. If you make up a person then its really a new character isnt it.

I've been reading this fr awhile and i'm getting a little angry that its taking so long to get to the good stuff.

4. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

got to say this is one of the good Blaise fics I've read. can't wait till next chapter

5. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I like this fic a lot so far. I have no problem with the pacing, except what I mentioned in a review. Namely, the seperate chapters covering the same ground from different perspectives, but I don't think it happened too much.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Last chapter was way to short but it was pretty funny. Malfoy had a sad because Harry was holding her hand so he called her a blood traitor... that kid uses too much gel. It's getting to his head.

Pure-blood + Half-blood + holding hands to work a spell = Blood Traitor

Weird brain-eating gel!

7. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Well Malfoy is strange, I mean Slytherin is everything he isn't.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. He's a bigger wuss than Harry in cannon.

9. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Well there we have it wuss!Harry vs. wuss!Malfoy.

10. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

which loser will win? place your bets ladys and gentlemen....

11. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

This fic seems to be doing rather well. I have to give it a thumbs up...

And in this highest standards of necromancy...

Draw. They both bleed on the floor like the sloppy cunts they are.

12. Blaze42

Blaze42 Muggle

good story, if slow.
    Malfoy is much worse than harry

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's really not a good story, at all.

14. This Guy

This Guy Squib

2 year necro. Christ.

15. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Eh, I'm not sure what I dislike more, stupid necros or newbs (and non-newbs) posting one-liners to whine about necros in the Library.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

ANYWAY. If reviews like Blaze's cause people to read the story and actually rate it, thus helping us to get rid of the old, shitty stories still cluttering the Library, then so much the better. This Guy, since you're here and are apparently keen on posting -- would you care to give us a piece of your mind about the story?

EDIT: I trudged through 3 chapters. 2/5 because, writing-wise, it's readable. Some grammar and punctuation errors, and an annoying habit to use present in the middle of a fic in past (something that would be somewhat acceptable in a diary but just doesn't sound good in a story). Otherwise it's a reasonably good style of writing, enjoyable, neither pompous nor poor.

I think I dislike all the rest. When the author described Harry's summer, I thought she was summing up the first few chapters of OotP -- until 'Cedric' was randomly replaced with 'Sirius'. Otherwise, it's all there, the friends who don't keep him informed, the nightmares, the anger and angst, etc.

Harry's characterisation: nothing original. I mean, he's the eternal brat with delusions of badassness that infests the Independent genre like to a cholera epidemic. Symptoms include: casual use of magic out of school, bypassing Tonks in a fit of adolescent rebellion, looking at his 'so-called friends' with raaaaaage in his vibrant green eyes, and thinking lines such as:

This feeling is intensified when Harry says "Screw 'em!" in a great shout for freedom and independence. By 'them', he means the Aurors, and by 'screw them', he means going into Knockturn Alley to spite those who are in charge of his security. Because we all know spiting Aurors and Order members is tons more important than avoiding running into Death Eaters who want him dead.

Two lines later:

Oh, you think?

Mmh, did I mention I suspected that Harry suffered from anorexia? There are too many people lamenting over his 'skeleton-like' aspect for my liking.

Blaise's characterisation: almost as clichéd as Harry's. Pure-blood but against all the evil prejudices of the pure-blood class, and therefore misunderstood by her family -- stupid futile mother, stupid prejudiced father, stupid telltale of a brother. And so we learn that fem!Blaise is in fact fem!Sirius in disguise!

What else... She's witty, strong, not easily intimidated, cool, etc. Strong suspicion of self-insert. 'Slytherin' is constantly used as an adjective ("my slytherin side, my slytherin brain, in perfect slytherin voice, it would have been very slytherin" etc)... People give houses way too much importance.

Now to be just, Mrs Weasley is very, very IC. The copy/paste kind of IC.

Now, the romance.

Well, Harry noticed Ginny was becoming pretty. It was rather awkwardly done, which doesn't bode well for the author's ability to write romance. However, not wanting to make assumptions on such a short passage, I kept reading.

And I found the dreaded premise to SO many romances:
    when Harry saves Blaise from being raped.

Cannot go on.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I read all six chapters that are posted only because I knew that there were only six chapters. The Sirius-angst is stifling, and the female-point-of-view is distasteful to read. I don't quite know how the author went wrong, but Takeda Lee's Slytherin Queen, Harry/Blaise, Blaise's POV, tears this one to shreds and is a much better read.

The author invested a lot of effort in making Harry conflicted, but because it's the generic angst except in much greater volume, it just makes him pathetic.

The actual writing makes the story seem better than it actually is, but even the technics aren't really up to par. 2/5.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

This is actually in rewrite. It was originally a 100k+ word story that the author took down and is now in the process of rewriting it. However, it seems like she dropped it altogether, as there hasn't been an update in awhile.

I wish she didn't take down the rest of the story. It actually got a lot better when the story moved to Hogwarts. I've been wanting to reread this for a long time, as I remember it being somewhat good, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible, unless someone here saved the original story before she took it down.

18. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Yeah, skipping over all of the intervening chapters kinda pissed me the fuck off. As is, .5/5