1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

The Abridged Thread

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Cruentus, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thank you for posting that :D, Hellsing is easily my favorite abridged and that episode was fucking fantastic.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it a lot.

RIP Knifebro.

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Auror

Something else pretty darn good: Sword Art Online Abridged.

They've covered the entire first arc so far, 11 episodes. Some people consider it to be even better than DBZ Abridged. While DBZ Abridged took a good show and condensed it with some added humor, SAO Abridged takes a terrible show and turns it into an amazing show. It takes the original show and beats it until it works. Characters are actually intelligent, everyone down to the most minor side characters are given unique personalities and quirks, and Kirito goes from 'Self-Insertable Good-Guy Cardboard Cutout with Leet Skills' to (to quote a reviewer) "an overconfident dick bag with a superiority complex who sees the suffering of lesser players as a source of entertainment" and who goes through an actual character arc through which he changes and betters as a person. Entire arcs get re-written to actually make sense, and we get an actual satisfying ending.

5/5.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @DrSarcasm, thank you for posting that, this is fantastic. Voice acting is great, writing is genuinely funny and it cuts out a lot of shit that makes the original series drag like a leather sack on melting tarmac. Some of the jokes are honestly laugh out loud.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've only really known Sword Art Online from secondhand sources, but that series was pretty good.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

SAOA is probably the best Abridged series handsdown. It could easily stand on its own feet as an actual anime series.

7. iamnotreal

iamnotreal First Year

High Score:
    LMFAO I CANT EVEN THE ENDING SCENE. It's kind of devastating how much more I enjoyed that ending over the original. Guess we know the true evil of our times ladies and gentlemen,
    all hail Metacritic.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  8. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Auror

Careful, breaching on spoilers there.

9. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Third Year

High Score:
    Welp i just bing watched SAO Abriged and it's great and all if a bit overrated , i think people focus on how much the original series were bad and by comparison it's very easy for the show to look god-tier
    For exemple I do like how they handled Kirito's character but i do not think it's particularly original , the reason i like it is because in the anime (iirc) Kirito is just a gary sue
    So for me TFS' work with Dragon Ball z still stands as the best abridged series

On a related note man the youtube comments on these series are annoying ; just constant spoilers of the episode/jokes

10. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

Anyone interested in making an abridged DBGT series? I'm thinking about editing and voicing the male cast of the GT Saga, but my high tones are too low so I need a female voice. I can create a composite from my own voice, but that'd a pain in the ass and goddamned waste of time.

So, anyone interested in voicing a chick or a child? Cause I would, but I can't, unfortunately.

11. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    Unfortunately I don't have a microphone right now and the few times I've tried flexing my vocal chords, I can't pull off a decent female, so I'm out. Good luck if you do decide to go forward, it'd be a neat idea. (And also I had to google 'DBGT' to find out what series you were even talking about abridging, so...)